White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2013, 09:06 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I don't think one should judge a signing by what a team eventually got in a dump trade.
First of all, it wasn't a dump trade. Had the Sox thrown in a bunch of money in order to trade him or taken a C+ prospect in return instead of Avisail Garcia, calling it a dump trade would have been accurate - but that's not what happened.

Second, when the Sox extended Peavy, the general consensus was that the deal was team-friendly because (i) it didn't include a no-trade clause, (ii) it was only a 2-year deal, and (iii) the annual $$ were generally in line with what free agent pitchers of Peavy's caliber were receiving on the open market. I personally wasn't thrilled with the signing because I thought the money should be spent on position players instead, but nothing about the terms of that deal offended me.

The only way to judge a signing is with the benefit of hindsight, and there's no question that the initial assessment of Peavy's deal as being team-friendly proved to be correct. The Sox were able to trade him without picking up any of his salary and received a legitimate, MLB ready prospect in return. I think the only way to judge the wisdom of extending Peavy last summer is with that return in mind.