Soxogram: 
Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 08:55 PM
WSI High Priest

In a three way deal:
Alexei Ramirez and Alex Yarborough go to St. Louis.
Jose Quintana (or Hector Santiago), Tyrell Jenkins and Nate Jones go to LAA.
Kolten Wong, Peter Bourjos and Mark Trumbo go to the White Sox.

Last edited by SoxSpeed22; 09-09-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Plausible ain't no fun. But this thread is. Quite a few good howlers in there.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:51 AM
WSI Personality

Agree

Quintana to the Angels for Bourjos and Conger
De Aza, Ramirez, and Jones to St Louis for Freese and Wacha
Dunn to New York Yankees for Hughes and prospects.
Sign Cano and Choo in the off season.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
How is this a plausible trade? Does the "need for a DH" inspire a team to trade one player for another with weaker offensive and defensive skills? The Orioles let Mark Reynolds go to free agency after he essentially put up the numbers they could expect from Dunn.

I know fans never want to see Dunn in a White Sox uniform again, but I don't see how this sort of trade doesn't get a special color.
Dunn is a left handed hitter and the Orioles could use some lefty pop to go with Chris Davis. Why? Well, one reason is that Markakis hashad a down year offensively. In 2013, Markakis in 565 AB's has 9 HR 54 RBI and a slash line of .273/.326/.359. In contrast, in 481 AB's, Dunn has 31 HR 82 RBI with a slash line of .222/.322/.468. Markakis is the better defensive player and is younger (Markakis is 29 and Dunn is 33). Both have a year left on their contracts and the Orioles have a 2015 team option for Markakis.

I think it is a fair deal in this sense: Markakis gives a lot less power and RBI but gives better defense and better average and probably better OBP, although that has been a wash this year. Markakis could, in a pinch, lead off and do OK.

Neither one is great but Dunn gives the Orioles more of what they need and Markakis gives the Sox more of what they need (i.e., all around play). Of course, if the Sox do deal Dunn, they are going to have bring in some power.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
Bahaha.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:03 AM
MMXXIII

I don't know enough about other teams to really make plausible trades for them, but I would say guys under control for next year I think the Sox might move this off-season, in order or likelihood are:
  1. Alexei
  2. De Aza
  3. Reed
  4. Santiago/Reinzo
  5. Quintana

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 09-10-2013, 08:52 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Sale to the cubs for Baez, Soler, Almora, and Bryant
Old 09-10-2013, 09:09 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Dunn is a left handed hitter and the Orioles could use some lefty pop to go with Chris Davis. Why? Well, one reason is that Markakis hashad a down year offensively. In 2013, Markakis in 565 AB's has 9 HR 54 RBI and a slash line of .273/.326/.359. In contrast, in 481 AB's, Dunn has 31 HR 82 RBI with a slash line of .222/.322/.468. Markakis is the better defensive player and is younger (Markakis is 29 and Dunn is 33). Both have a year left on their contracts and the Orioles have a 2015 team option for Markakis.

I think it is a fair deal in this sense: Markakis gives a lot less power and RBI but gives better defense and better average and probably better OBP, although that has been a wash this year. Markakis could, in a pinch, lead off and do OK.

Neither one is great but Dunn gives the Orioles more of what they need and Markakis gives the Sox more of what they need (i.e., all around play). Of course, if the Sox do deal Dunn, they are going to have bring in some power.
Proposing a Dunn for Markakis trade is not as far-fetched as it might seem on first glance, but Baltimore would not do it because Dunn is definitely not a Sholwalter type of player. Even if Sholwalter was amenable to the idea, Dunn does not fit into what Baltimore is trying to build, as his only viable position is DH. They let go of Reynolds not just because of the strikeouts but also because of defense. Sholwalter hates players who are limited fundamentally in certain areas. Not going to happen.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 09-10-2013, 10:58 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
In a three way deal:
Alexei Ramirez and Alex Yarborough go to St. Louis.
Jose Quintana (or Hector Santiago), Tyrell Jenkins and Nate Jones go to LAA.
Kolten Wong, Peter Bourjos and Mark Trumbo go to the White Sox.
Wong isn't very good.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 09-10-2013, 11:00 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
Each one of these is highly implausible. The last thing the Cards need is an OF. Really. Dunn for Hughes and prospects? Signing two huge FAs?

Man, this should all be in teal.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:44 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Each one of these is highly implausible. The last thing the Cards need is an OF. Really. Dunn for Hughes and prospects? Signing two huge FAs?

Man, this should all be in teal.

Whenever someone mentions the Sox signing cano you know they are joking.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post

Markakis is a left-handed hitter who handles right-handed pitching better than Dunn. He hits left-handed pitching better than Dunn. He plays defense better than Dunn.

Maybe this deal makes sense in some fantasy league where general managers are looking at isolated stats rather than building teams that win games, but in the real world this trade only works if Markakis continues to underperform and Dunn turns around and has a better season than he ever has before.

The reason you like this trade, the reason most Sox fans would like this trade, the reason I would love to see this trade pulled off is that it would be an unrealistic trade heavily favoring the White Sox.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Dunn is a Sox forever in my nightmares. He is here next year in my reality. There is not getting around that.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:08 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
You should have seen Gene Freese who Veeck picked up in 1960 for Johnny Callison.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Us older fans know how that worked out....NOT...!!!
Old 09-10-2013, 05:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Markakis is a left-handed hitter who handles right-handed pitching better than Dunn. He hits left-handed pitching better than Dunn. He plays defense better than Dunn.
Markakis doesn't hit for anywhere near the power of Dunn. In fact, Markakis' offense has been declining the last couple of years and, let's face it, he wouldn't come without some risk. But a change of scenery might help Markakis and with only one year remaining on his contract, I think he may be worth a gamble.

Quote:
Maybe this deal makes sense in some fantasy league where general managers are looking at isolated stats rather than building teams that win games, but in the real world this trade only works if Markakis continues to underperform and Dunn turns around and has a better season than he ever has before.
Not true. In a fantasy league, no one would trade Dunn's almost guaranteed 30 homers and 90 RBI for a guy who has been inconsistent with the bat but always good with the glove. In any 4 x 4 or 5 x 5 fantasy leagues, there are no points for defense.

Quote:
The reason you like this trade, the reason most Sox fans would like this trade, the reason I would love to see this trade pulled off is that it would be an unrealistic trade heavily favoring the White Sox.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this point. I see this as a fairly even deal but unlikely because Buck Showalter does not seem to favor one dimensional players like Dunn.