White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 12:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Steeler fans are worse than Cubs fans. Way worse.
Meh. Went to a Bears/Steelers game a few years ago and Steelers fans were in no way any more annoying than Bears fans.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:24 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
Meh. Went to a Bears/Steelers game a few years ago and Steelers fans were in no way any more annoying than Bears fans.
I would guess the portion of Steelers Nation that can afford a ticket to an NFL game represents the distinct minority of that group of trashbags
Old 09-06-2013, 01:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Painting with a broad brush, Doub. I've been a Steelers fan since I was a little kid and I'm not that big a scumbag.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I'll agree with that when I start hearing Steelers fans talk crap to me on a regular basis about attendance numbers, curses, scapegoats, how "nobody cared" when my team won the championship, etc.

Quote:
I would guess the portion of Steelers Nation that can afford a ticket to an NFL game represents the distinct minority of that group of trashbags
On the other hand, I have to wonder how many Steelers fans are really big time Pirates fans. Lots of football fans don't give a **** about baseball. Plus, the Steelers have a national following and plenty of their fans aren't even from Pittsburgh.

Yes, there's some overlap, but I just think it's silly to hate the Pirates because of Steelers fans being total jackasses.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
On the other hand, I have to wonder how many Steelers fans are really big time Pirates fans. Lots of football fans don't give a **** about baseball. Plus, the Steelers have a national following and plenty of their fans aren't even from Pittsburgh.

Yes, there's some overlap, but I just think it's silly to hate the Pirates because of Steelers fans being total jackasses.
I guess I would be an exception to the rule. I've been a Steelers fan since I was a little kid and the Pirates are my favorite NL team. I remember some about Clemente, but it was the Stargell - "We Are Family" era that drew my interest.

Even though I'm a lifelong Chicagoan, I've always liked the Pittsburgh teams. The Pirates will never replace the Sox atop my list, nor the Penguins instead of the Hawks, but I just like Pittsburgh teams.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:28 PM
WSI Personality

Pittsburgh only averaged 17,722 fans when they last won a World Series in 1979. The Whitesox averaged 16,622 in 1979. I can't say I feel to sorry for most Pirate fans. The Pirates during the 1970's never even averaged 20.000 fans and they won two World Series and 6 NL East Championships. The Whitesox with zero Pennants at least averaged 20,000 fans in 1977. It's nice to see them win but i'd rather see the Yankee's or Redsox win than have some football town with a bunch of fair weather baseball fans win.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:28 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I'll agree with that when I start hearing Steelers fans talk crap to me on a regular basis about attendance numbers, curses, scapegoats, how "nobody cared" when my team won the championship, etc.

I'd guess it's pretty likely that 99% of Pirates fans are also Steeler fans though, which was Homefish's point in the first place.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:32 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
Pittsburgh only averaged 17,722 fans when they last won a World Series in 1979. The Whitesox averaged 16,622 in 1979. I can't say I feel to sorry for most Pirate fans. The Pirates during the 1970's never even averaged 20.000 fans and they won two World Series and 6 NL East Championships. The Whitesox with zero Pennants at least averaged 20,000 fans in 1977. It's nice to see them win but i'd rather see the Yankee's or Redsox win than have some football town with a bunch of fair weather baseball fans win.
Chicago was almost 7x more populous than Pittsburgh during the post-WWII Industrial heyday
Old 09-06-2013, 02:45 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Chicago was almost 7x more populous than Pittsburgh during the post-WWII Industrial heyday
Cincinnati and Kansas City probably have comparable populations to Pittsburgh and thier fans showed up during the 70's.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
I don't think we really can blame today's fans for attendance numbers from 35 years ago. How old are those fans from 1977 today? 60? 70? It was a different era and essentially a different generation of fans.

I also vaguely remember that the AL and NL counted attendance differently back then. I might be wrong about this, but I want to say the AL counted ticket sales while the NL only counted the number of people who went through the turnstyles.

Even if 1970s ticket sales were relevant, as fans who have had the "attendance" issue waved in our face by stupid Cubs fans over the years, I'm not interested in throwing the attendance issue at the Pirates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
I'd guess it's pretty likely that 99% of Pirates fans are also Steeler fans though, which was Homefish's point in the first place.
...and, as I said earlier, based on that logic, I should hate the Bears because it's pretty likely that 90% (or whatever) Cubs fans are also Bears fans.

At any rate, I guess I'm not NFL-centric like most people are and I feel like I can root for the Pirates (or whatever other MLB team) without worrying about what football team is from the same city.

Can we just make this thread about the Pirates and baseball instead of making everything revolve around the NFL?
Old 09-06-2013, 11:21 PM
WSI High Priest

I'm not trying to make things about the NFL. Baseball is my #1 sport, NFL is a very distant #3 (behind college football). But the Steelers are just a fanbase I've found unbearable, perhaps because the area I currently live in is the bandwagon Steelers fan capital of the world. Also, I was on the Cardinals bandwagon for that one playoff run where the Steelers finally beat them.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 09-07-2013, 08:43 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Yeah, they aren't even comparable. Most obnoxious POS fans around.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:06 AM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

Pirates drop the first two games in St. Louis to hand the division lead back to the Cardinals, and the Reds are now only 1 1/2 out of first after taking the first two from the Dodgers.

Bucs really need a win on Sunday to stop the bleeding.

Obligatory 2014 attendance record: 1-1

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

JACK....IS....BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-08-2013, 09:44 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
Yeah, they aren't even comparable. Most obnoxious POS fans around.
Nah, cub fans are way worse. Steeler fans at least have the hardware to back up their trash talking. cub fans have nothing since 1908. Worst streak in all sports.

Steeler fans can swag all they want, they did work when they had to.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
Nah, cub fans are way worse. Steeler fans at least have the hardware to back up their trash talking. cub fans have nothing since 1908. Worst streak in all sports.

Steeler fans can swag all they want, they did work when they had to.
Absolutely.