White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 01:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Robin will return, and finish his contract. He is on record on that topic.

I would not be shocked if the entire staff comes back.
Robin will not throw Manto under the bus.
It will be a re-building type of season anyway.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Tragg: What have you been impressed with?? I think Gordon is the only regular who seems to have improved offensively but with only half a season of play. But Gordon, Alexei and Viciedo have all seen a major drop in their HR output this season. More importantly their RBI production is down as well. Gordon and Alexei have improved their average but the decline in RBI production has suffered. DeAza, however has seen his power and RBI numbers go up but his average has dropped.
I don't even include Konerko, Flowers, Keppinger and even Rios who saw their production down from last year but I don't think Manto is to blame.
Well, I've seen improvement in Beckham, including visible changes in approach. Yea, Flowers hasn't progressed; i have hopes for Viciedo still, but he hasn't either. Let me ask this - what players improved in hitting the several years before he got here?
As for the veterans, most of these guys are over 30 and it's hard to pinpoint issues. Dunn improved. I certainly won't blame him for Keppinger, a player I thought was a stiff before we signed him. That's my bias, I suppose, but I saw a lot of Astros games over the years (until they left Fox for some bizarre reason). Alexei is 32 and swings at what he wants to swing at. De Aza is having somewhat of an off year, but he could rebound next year.
If he leaves I won't cry about it. But I think Manto's been okay.
A bigger problem has been clowning defensively and on the base paths, bizarre decisions to bunt and to issue IWs, and pitcher use and over-use....things which fall on the manager. I know we won 80 something games last year and I know we played like dogs down the stretch. And the front office didn't exactly shine....they decided Wise would be #1 off the bench, signed Keppinger, and did nothing on bullpen depth. We were a starter short too - thank goodness for Santiago.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Damnit!

Harvey - torn UCL.

I retract 67% of my argument!

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 09-02-2013, 06:29 PM
WSI Personality

After todays awful loss to New York and the recent 3 game flop in Boston I would not be shocked if Ventura doesn't finish out his contract. Hawk said todays 4th inning where they made numerous errors was the worst inning of baseball he has announced as a White Sox broadcaster. Something has to change on the White Sox and its always easier to fire a manager than it is to change players.

Last edited by Golden Sox; 09-02-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Robin may have great baseball smarts, but that doesn't mean he is cut out to be a MLB manager.

I always thought Robin should have got some experience as a bench coach or minor league manager before becoming the Sox manager.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:03 PM
WSI Prelate

It only took 8 hits and 2 BB over 2.33 innings for Ventura to discern that Axe didn't have it today.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
It only took 8 hits and 2 BB over 2.33 innings for Ventura to discern that Axe didn't have it today.
The bullpen was taxed after the ****show in Boston. Someone was gonna eat innings for better or for worse today.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
The bullpen was taxed after the ****show in Boston. Someone was gonna eat innings for better or for worse today.
It was clear in the fourth inning Axelrod was not going to be eating any more innings, plus he couldn't get anyone out. He should have pulled a lot earlier than he was.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:07 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
It was clear in the fourth inning Axelrod was not going to be eating any more innings, plus he couldn't get anyone out. He should have pulled a lot earlier than he was.
Maybe two batters sooner, but really, the game was already lost at that point.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 09-03-2013, 09:37 AM
WSI Personality

I think we should fire Ventura out a cannon like in the circus.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
Robin may have great baseball smarts, but that doesn't mean he is cut out to be a MLB manager.

I always thought Robin should have got some experience as a bench coach or minor league manager before becoming the Sox manager.
I have been assured on this site that experience is not necessary to be a major league manager.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I have been assured on this site that experience is not necessary to be a major league manager.
I don't understand how you think he came into this season without experience. He was a manager in 2012. His team won 85 games, even though they had lost a top pitcher (Buehrle) and a top offensive player (Quentin) they had a better record than they had the year before, when they were managed by an experienced manager with a WS ring.

Robin could manage this team for 20 seasons and some would still say he's inexperienced.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
Yeah, in June.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:01 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
I don't understand how you think he came into this season without experience. He was a manager in 2012. His team won 85 games, even though they had lost a top pitcher (Buehrle) and a top offensive player (Quentin) they had a better record than they had the year before, when they were managed by an experienced manager with a WS ring.

Robin could manage this team for 20 seasons and some would still say he's inexperienced.
Sophmore Jinx???

Actually you say they lost Buehrle but they got Peavy for a full year and Sale became a dominating starter. They lost Quentin but Dunn's power numbers took a major jump.

My concern is that the offense has really dropped off by many of the regulars. Also the defense is very ragged. It looks like poor communication is a constant problem especially on pop-ups/flyballs. Maybe Robin stays (FWIW-- he says he wants to) and Manto goes. The Boston media was very critical of them this weekend with all the walks and miscues.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:50 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
My concern is that the offense has really dropped off by many of the regulars. Also the defense is very ragged. It looks like poor communication is a constant problem especially on pop-ups/flyballs. Maybe Robin stays (FWIW-- he says he wants to) and Manto goes. The Boston media was very critical of them this weekend with all the walks and miscues.
Neither Robin nor Manto walked a single batter. Could sports media in Boston be any dumber than in Chicago? Stay tuned.

March 31 W
April 10 W
April 26 L
May 10 L
May 28 W
June 1 W
June 14 L
July 4 W
July 18 W
August 30 (2) L
September 14 L
September 27 W