White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 11:46 AM
WSI Prelate

This really is bittersweet. It's nice to see the team playing better, but at the same time, since this team isn't going anywhere this season, I'm a little bummed that it's screwing up their draft order for next season. Would really like to get a top 5 pick next year.

"See you on a dark night."
Old 08-29-2013, 12:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Me gustan muchos Garcias, pero no tanto como hace Hawk.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:31 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
This really is bittersweet. It's nice to see the team playing better, but at the same time, since this team isn't going anywhere this season, I'm a little bummed that it's screwing up their draft order for next season. Would really like to get a top 5 pick next year.
They'll get a top 5 pick. Even with the winning streak, they have the fourth-worst record in the game. They just passed the Cubs yesterday, but it's no guarantee they'll stay ahead of them. This next road trip is a tough one.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 08-29-2013, 01:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
They're going to get a quality pick. I just want them to do their homework and get someone really good.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
If it makes you feel any better, the last time the Rays, the team everyone puts at or near the top of the building-through-the-draft list, had a first-round pick in the top five, they took Tim Beckham with the first pick overall. That was 2008, the year the White Sox took Gordon Beckham. Tim Beckham is hitting better, now in his second year at AAA. The Angels should get a better pick this year than they've had in the past, but they probably won't pick anyone as good as Mike Trout, who was passed over in 24 previous picks It wasn't like Sox fans were upset when Jared Mitchell was taken because Mike Trout could have been. Even Chris Sale was taken 13th. Granted, it was a strong draft, but seven of the 12 taken ahead of him haven't made it to the majors.

Frank Thomas was available at No. 7 in 1989, and no one more distinguished went sooner. Two earlier picks never made it to the majors. Maybe if the Cubs had won two more games in 1988, he would have spent his career channeling Ernie Banks and talking about the friendly confines for the rest of his life, but who knows who the Sox would have drafted if they had lost five more games. I honestly don't know if Thomas would have been the Sox pick if they were picking first instead of the Orioles.

The best you can do as a team is do as much right as you can. You want competitive players who play to win. I can't complain if the Sox have a month where they sweep the Yankees and take series from the Tigers and Rangers, even if they are in last place. I'm happy with the last road trip. I'm happy they took the series from the Astros. Not pennant-race happy, but dealing with non-contending seasons is part of being a baseball fan. A high draft spot is a very nebulous consolation prize for a losing season.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
If it makes you feel any better, the last time the Rays, the team everyone puts at or near the top of the building-through-the-draft list, had a first-round pick in the top five, they took Tim Beckham with the first pick overall. That was 2008, the year the White Sox took Gordon Beckham. Tim Beckham is hitting better, now in his second year at AAA. The Angels should get a better pick this year than they've had in the past, but they probably won't pick anyone as good as Mike Trout, who was passed over in 24 previous picks It wasn't like Sox fans were upset when Jared Mitchell was taken because Mike Trout could have been. Even Chris Sale was taken 13th. Granted, it was a strong draft, but seven of the 12 taken ahead of him haven't made it to the majors.

Frank Thomas was available at No. 7 in 1989, and no one more distinguished went sooner. Two earlier picks never made it to the majors. Maybe if the Cubs had won two more games in 1988, he would have spent his career channeling Ernie Banks and talking about the friendly confines for the rest of his life, but who knows who the Sox would have drafted if they had lost five more games. I honestly don't know if Thomas would have been the Sox pick if they were picking first instead of the Orioles.

The best you can do as a team is do as much right as you can. You want competitive players who play to win. I can't complain if the Sox have a month where they sweep the Yankees and take series from the Tigers and Rangers, even if they are in last place. I'm happy with the last road trip. I'm happy they took the series from the Astros. Not pennant-race happy, but dealing with non-contending seasons is part of being a baseball fan. A high draft spot is a very nebulous consolation prize for a losing season.

I agree to a point, but I think the scouting has improved to the point where a team improves their odds considerably by picking in the top 5.
The Twins phenom, Buxton (sp) was the #2 pick overall, and he sounds like the next Bo Jackson ....we will see how he looks when he arrives next week. I am enjoying watching the Sox the last couple of weeks, mainly due to watching Avvy Garcia, Phegley, Gordo, ect....and so I am torn.

I want to have more young talent to watch soon, but I do like winning.
The Cubs just moved into the 3rd slot ,a half a game ahead of the Sox...hate to see the Cubs get a prize at #3, with the Sox right behind.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
I agree to a point, but I think the scouting has improved to the point where a team improves their odds considerably by picking in the top 5.
This + the slotting system allows you to actually pick the best player when your turn is called. Meaningless wins in September don't do much for me...

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 08-29-2013, 04:53 PM
WSI Prelate

I think this club is headed in the right direction. It has the pitching, now just make some quality additions, and hopefully that Hawkins kid fixes his approach in the minors.

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:09 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
A high draft spot is a very nebulous consolation prize for a losing season.
Agree. But a not so high draft pick for a losing season is a worse consolation.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Agree. But a not so high draft pick for a losing season is a worse consolation.
But nebulous enough that the difference could be inconsequential.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34 Inch Stick View Post
Gracias, Garcias!
Absolutely right!

That's a White Sox winner!
Old 08-30-2013, 07:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
But nebulous enough that the difference could be inconsequential.
But that's not the only thing you get when you finish with a bad record. You also get more slot money to spend in the draft and more money to spend during the international signing period. It's not just a higher draft pick...
Old 08-30-2013, 07:51 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
But that's not the only thing you get when you finish with a bad record. You also get more slot money to spend in the draft and more money to spend during the international signing period. It's not just a higher draft pick...
Which is all still less important than the development of younger guys already at the MLB level. Avisial Garcia, Gordon Beckham, Chris Sale, Jose Quintana, etc.. These guys are going to have a greater impact on how well the Sox are able to rebound than some kids who aren't even in the system yet.

Worst case scenario for this team still looks like a Top 10 overall pick. They'll be fine.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 08-31-2013, 08:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Which is all still less important than the development of younger guys already at the MLB level. Avisial Garcia, Gordon Beckham, Chris Sale, Jose Quintana, etc.. These guys are going to have a greater impact on how well the Sox are able to rebound than some kids who aren't even in the system yet.

Worst case scenario for this team still looks like a Top 10 overall pick. They'll be fine.
The development of our younger players at the major league level is important, but that doesn't mean they need to win games. We still have plenty of veterans on the roster that can blow the game in the end.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:35 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
The development of our younger players at the major league level is important, but that doesn't mean they need to win games. We still have plenty of veterans on the roster that can blow the game in the end.
All we have to do is play Beckham, Avisail, Quintana et al to develop the core players. Call up Morel for late inning pinch hit duty. Then bring in Troncoso to close the game out.
Players get developed, and we protect our top 5 pick.
Win-win!