White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 08-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,269
Default

After 109 games, the 1970 Sox were 38-71. Sweet Lou went 4 for 5 as the Royals, in their 2nd season of existence, beat the Sox 7-2 in game #109. Attendance at Comiskey.....er "White Sox Park" was 3,587!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...97008030.shtml

We're only 2 games back! I don't know whether to scream, laugh, or cry.

....at least the fans in 1970 had Nancy Faust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
This is the worst Sox team I have seen ever in my life. Worse than the 1989 Sox.
I actually enjoyed watching the '89 Sox. Unlike this year's team, they had an exciting core of young talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
I appreciate the sarcasm, it gave me a badly needed laugh. I still prefer the 1970 team to this years vintage. They just might be the first Sox team in over 50 years of fandom that I actually don't like. Brainless listless lessless? Yeah that about describes them on the baseball field.
What about the 2011 White Sox? While not as bad as this year's team, that team quit just about every time they trailed in a game and had a manager who spent the season with one foot on a plane to Miami. They were pretty unlikeable/unwatchable.

Two unlikeable, unwatchable teams in the last 3 seasons - wow! Why won't Sox fans support their team? The only explanation I can think of is a lousy fan base.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-05-2013, 08:06 PM
KenBerryGrab KenBerryGrab is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Madison, Wis.
Posts: 2,444
Default

This is the worst I've felt about our Sox since Carlos May met that mortar shell. Go back to the red unis next year for a clean slate.
__________________
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/signaturepics/sigpic10044_1.gif
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,269
Default

Only 1 game behind the 1970 team!

2013: 43-71
1970: 42-72

In their 114th game, the '70 team beat the 2nd place California Angels 8-1 in front of 2,679 fans for a Saturday game at Comiskey Park. In the lineup for the Halos that day were Sandy Alomar Sr, future Sox manager Jim Fregosi, and future South Side Hitman Jim Spencer.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...97008080.shtml

The Sox have their work cut out for them to keep pace. The 1970 team went on to lose 10 of their next 11 games.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-10-2013, 01:02 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 47,369
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Only 1 game behind the 1970 team!

2013: 43-71
1970: 42-72

In their 114th game, the '70 team beat the 2nd place California Angels 8-1 in front of 2,679 fans for a Saturday game at Comiskey Park. In the lineup for the Halos that day were Sandy Alomar Sr, future Sox manager Jim Fregosi, and future South Side Hitman Jim Spencer.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...97008080.shtml

The Sox have their work cut out for them to keep pace. The 1970 team went on to lose 10 of their next 11 games.
Considering we've lost 12 in a row to the ALC and the vast majority of the games left are against the ALC the current team has a legitimate shot...
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 08-10-2013, 02:32 PM
TommyJohn TommyJohn is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,100
Blog Entries: 134
Default

The 1970 Sox sure earned those 106 losses. The loss to which these Sox aspire, number 106, happened on the final day of the season, and in typical fashion-the Sox were down 3-1 in the top of the 9th vs. the Angels in Anaheim when Walt Williams struck a game-tying home run. In the top of the 11th Bill Melton hit his 33rd homer of the season to give them a 4-3 lead which they couldn't hold. They lost in the bottom of the inning on a game-winning hit by Mel Queen-the Angels pitcher.

But it was a loss with heart. I only hope that the 2013 Sox show as much heart if/when they chalk up number 106.
__________________
I am Dabuiek
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 08-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,269
Default

After 120 games, the 2013 Sox (46-74) are 3 games up on the infamous 1970 squad (43-77). In game 120, the '70 team lost to the Washington Senators in 10 innings 5-6 at RFK Stadium on 8/14/70:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...97008140.shtml

Tommy John started the game and Wilbur Wood took the loss.

By the way, in 1970 the average price of a new car was $3,500 and the average price of a house was $25,000.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-16-2013, 06:40 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
After 120 games, the 2013 Sox (46-74) are 3 games up on the infamous 1970 squad (43-77). In game 120, the '70 team lost to the Washington Senators in 10 innings 5-6 at RFK Stadium on 8/14/70:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...97008140.shtml

Tommy John started the game and Wilbur Wood took the loss.

By the way, in 1970 the average price of a new car was $3,500 and the average price of a house was $25,000.
Interesting that the average price of a house was about twice the major league minimum salary and now the average price of a house less than half the major league minimum.

The 1970 White Sox lost 13 of the last 16 games, the games Chuck Tanner managed at the end of the season. The team didn't trade away any veterans midseason, though as the current team has. They did allow Aparicio to go home a week early after he broke the games-played-at-shortstop record.

The 1970 White Sox actually claimed a veteran reliever off waivers in September, much to the anger of the pitcher, Steve Hamilton, who had been headed to a contender if he had cleared waivers. It was quite a year for Hamilton who on one hand threw a pitch that inspired an Indians hitter to slash his wrists and quit baseball. It ended with a whimper in the cold White Sox bullpen, out of which he got only three innings of work to end his American League career.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-16-2013, 09:52 PM
Railsplitter Railsplitter is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Streamwood, IL
Posts: 6,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post

By the way, in 1970 the average price of a new car was $3,500 and the average price of a house was $25,000.
A first class postage stamp was 6 cents.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-16-2013, 10:15 PM
RadioheadRocks RadioheadRocks is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Home of the Dancing Banana!!!
Posts: 5,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
A first class postage stamp was 6 cents.

We all listened to WLS or WCFL on our transistor radios. Pretty cool year for hit music!
__________________
"Ooooh... I'm SHAKING in my BRIGHT YELLOW SHIRT!!!"

Last edited by RadioheadRocks; 08-16-2013 at 10:15 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08-29-2013, 11:47 PM
cards press box cards press box is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioheadRocks View Post
We all listened to WLS or WCFL on our transistor radios. Pretty cool year for hit music!
I loved the transistor radio. Great for listening to the ballgame or, as you say, WCFL or WLS.

Anyway, after 132 games:

2013: 56-76

1970: 48-84

Things are looking up.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08-30-2013, 01:42 AM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
I loved the transistor radio. Great for listening to the ballgame or, as you say, WCFL or WLS.

Anyway, after 132 games:

2013: 56-76

1970: 48-84

Things are looking up.
Now it would take a 30 game losing streak to end up with the same record as the 1970 White Sox.

I never believed this year's team was in the same category of bad as the 1970 team.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 08-30-2013, 08:19 AM
cards press box cards press box is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I never believed this year's team was in the same category of bad as the 1970 team.
I agree.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 09-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Now it would take a 30 game losing streak to end up with the same record as the 1970 White Sox.
Still stuck at 56 wins....6 losses down, 24 to go.

The 2013 Sox (56-82) are 7 games up on the '70 squad. In the 138th game of the 1970 season, the Sox lost 4-3 to the A's in Oakland.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...97009030.shtml

Playing for the A's that day were lots of familiar names: Rick Monday, Bert Campaneris, Reggie Jackson, Rollie Fingers, etc.

We're not likely to catch the '70 team in futility, but we might catch the '76 team that finished with 97 losses. After 138 games, the '76 team is 3 games ahead of this year's squad with a 59-79 record.

In '76, the Sox beat Oakland 6-5.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...97609080.shtml

Several of the same names in the '76 box score for Oakland as from the '70 game. Fingers, Campaneris, Tenace, Rudi. Interesting that future White Sox slacker Claudell Washington was in the lineup for the A's that day. As was Willie McCovey. I thought he played his entire career with the Giants.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 09-06-2013, 12:30 AM
RCWHITESOX's Avatar
RCWHITESOX RCWHITESOX is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Placentia, California
Posts: 967
Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Still stuck at 56 wins....6 losses down, 24 to go.

The 2013 Sox (56-82) are 7 games up on the '70 squad. In the 138th game of the 1970 season, the Sox lost 4-3 to the A's in Oakland.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...97009030.shtml

Playing for the A's that day were lots of familiar names: Rick Monday, Bert Campaneris, Reggie Jackson, Rollie Fingers, etc.

We're not likely to catch the '70 team in futility, but we might catch the '76 team that finished with 97 losses. After 138 games, the '76 team is 3 games ahead of this year's squad with a 59-79 record.

In '76, the Sox beat Oakland 6-5.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...97609080.shtml

Several of the same names in the '76 box score for Oakland as from the '70 game. Fingers, Campaneris, Tenace, Rudi. Interesting that future White Sox slacker Claudell Washington was in the lineup for the A's that day. As was Willie McCovey. I thought he played his entire career with the Giants.
Make that 7 in a row. White Sox baseball you have to love it.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 09-06-2013, 08:26 AM
October26 October26 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 3,565
Blog Entries: 5
Post

It has been a rough 2013 year for me personally taking care of elderly parents and my own family so I have not had much time to post here on WSI. I do periodically check Sox scores and stats via the MLB app on my phone. Today, I opened the MLB app and saw that the Sox now have 83 losses. So sad.
__________________
2014 - My compatriots: Adrian, Alexei, Jose, and Dayan;
thanks for the pic, ChiSoxGal85!!!!
October26 - Thank you to the 2005 World Series Champions Chicago White Sox!
October26 - Twenty-SEVEN years ago, I married my husband on October 26. Since that day, we have been blessed with a wonderful family. Then, on October 26, 2005, when the baseball gods bestowed their good fortunes upon us, we saw the White Sox win the World Series. An incredibly talented team of grinders made every Sox fan's dream come true. My family and I celebrated with reckless abandon. And now, we look forward to that day when our White Sox will once again be World Series Champions!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.