White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 03:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Likewise, nobody cares whether or not their top draft pick is #4 or #7. It's all basically the same.
Very limited way of thinking...

For example, the slot of pick 4 this year was about 4.5 million. The slot for pick 7 this year was 3.2 million...... Thats an extra 1.2 million the Sox could be throwing at a kid later in the draft who falls, or use to sign the guy they want.

This draft especially is VERY top heavy, so you want to be picking high and have choices. This is a draft that could revamp our entire minor league system.

I would much rather have an extra million and change in draft money than finish 4th.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:18 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Very limited way of thinking...

For example, the slot of pick 4 this year was about 4.5 million. The slot for pick 7 this year was 3.2 million...... Thats an extra 1.2 million the Sox could be throwing at a kid later in the draft who falls, or use to sign the guy they want.

This draft especially is VERY top heavy, so you want to be picking high and have choices. This is a draft that could revamp our entire minor league system.

I would much rather have an extra million and change in draft money than finish 4th.
I'm not really worried about it
Old 08-12-2013, 04:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I'm not really worried about it
Well, to think about it this way, the difference between that money would probably have signed Octavio Rodriguez, maybe the 2nd highest ceiling we draftedthis year in terms of pitchers. Is losing a kid like that worth finishing 4th?

A few years ago, yes, I would not have cared because we would have screwed up a top 5 pick anyway by going cheap. But with money you can use based on where you pick, it really does make a difference.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:56 AM
WSI Personality

Default Ketchup

7 gb of Angels
7.5 gb of twins and jays

5.5 gb of cubbs and brewers
Giants, Phil's and Padres not too far

Let us catch these teams. We are better than all of them!
Old 08-14-2013, 10:35 PM
WSI Regular

No. No. NO! As a fan of this team you really want them win some meaningless games and fall down in the draft? There is PLENTY of difference between a top 3 pick and a 8-9-10 or later pick.

A 100 loss season is worth drafting a talent of THIS caliber:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

And besides, I want THIS lost season to be rock bottom. Get all of the losing out of your system White Sox, it can only be up hill 2014 and beyond.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:59 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushinWeight View Post
No. No. NO! As a fan of this team you really want them win some meaningless games and fall down in the draft? There is PLENTY of difference between a top 3 pick and a 8-9-10 or later pick.

A 100 loss season is worth drafting a talent of THIS caliber:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

And besides, I want THIS lost season to be rock bottom. Get all of the losing out of your system White Sox, it can only be up hill 2014 and beyond.
Yes. Every time I sit down to watch the White Sox, I hope they win. That's what a fan does.

I realize all the cool kids around here are rooting against the team now, but let's be honest: neither LeBron, nor Andrew Luck, nor .133-hitting uberprospect Mike Olt are available in next year's MLB draft.

The Sox aren't getting the No. 1 pick. Houston has a lock on it. I'm sorry. The Sox draft position will take care of itself. It is completely pointless to root for such a thing, especially when you don't know who you are getting anyway.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 08-16-2013, 07:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Wanting to see the next generation of young players on your favorite baseball team play well and offer hope for next season is silly and pointless?

That's what you took out of my post?

Impressive.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:19 PM
WSI Personality

Default Ketchup

Hey hey hey -6.5
Catch minn or even those forever rebuilding chubs.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:26 PM
WSI Personality

Default I think we can

Minnesofa -5.0
cubby bears -3.5

And a few other teams within reach that we are better than: Brewers, Angels, Blue Jays, Padres, Giants, Phillies

Last edited by sunofgold; 08-20-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:28 AM
WSI Personality

Default Watch out Twins

The White Sox are coming! Watch out twins with only 1.5 lead. We have passed the cubs.

Hahns moves looking good. Traded away a few injury prone players and a player who sometimes loafs. Saved a boatload of cash and we are playing better.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunofgold View Post
The White Sox are coming! Watch out twins with only 1.5 lead. We have passed the cubs.

Hahns moves looking good. Traded away a few injury prone players and a player who sometimes loafs. Saved a boatload of cash and we are playing better.

Theo the Genius strikes again by passing us by for for the higher draft pick!

Seriously though, I'm glad the Sox are looking respectable now. I just want them to draft/sign better players regardless of where we finish in the standings.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:25 PM
WSI High Priest

We need a top-3 pick. This run we've been having is nice, but it only helps the young players that are on the team now.

Our schedule is significantly tougher the rest of the way with the big east coast road trip and multiple series with the Tigers and Indians. So I still think we're going to end up with that top 3 pick.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:11 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
We need a top-3 pick. This run we've been having is nice, but it only helps the young players that are on the team now.

Our schedule is significantly tougher the rest of the way with the big east coast road trip and multiple series with the Tigers and Indians. So I still think we're going to end up with that top 3 pick.
Top 5 at minimum. I posted an analysis a few weeks ago that said picks 1-5 have a 12% higher chance of being successful than 6-10.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:13 PM
WSI Personality

Default No way

We aren't going to get a top 3 pick. We are playing well and I see a few more teams that we can catch. I think maybe a 7thru 10 pick. Sale wasn't a top 3 pick.

I am not worried about the schedule. We have recently taken series from NYY, KC, DET and Texas. I rather play good teams who have something at stake. Play the spoiler and help build team confidence.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:24 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunofgold View Post
We aren't going to get a top 3 pick. We are playing well and I see a few more teams that we can catch. I think maybe a 7thru 10 pick. Sale wasn't a top 3 pick.

You are correct, Sale was a homerun pick. But the following were also not Top 3 picks---Mitchell-Beckham-Poreda-McCulloch-Broadway-Fields-Anderson-Ring-Honel etc. A lot of strikeouts for that one homerun.