White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 04:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Buehrle's stats this year back in the AL are far from dazzling. But yeah, Danks ended up a poor decision thus far.
After getting shelled on May 6 by the Rays his ERA was 7.02. It is now at 4.23. I'm not saying the Sox should have kept Buehrle, just that it might be premature to write him off. He may still have a few decent years left in him.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Undercapitalized doesn't begin to describe the second Veeck ownership. He was operating on frayed shoestrings. It wouldn't have taken much to improve baseball operations. The new owners signed Fisk and Luzinski, expanded the promotional budget, and increased the number of scouts, among other things. It seems after the Sox fizzled in 84 there was a retrenchment that lasted until the team's future in Chicago was secured. I've stated over and over again that I consider the Reinsdorf era to have been a very mixed bag. Believe me they earned a lot of the bad feelings they engendered over the years. It helps to have been around for the duration to have a proper and fair perspective. There seems to me to be a dichotomy among younger and older Sox fans when it comes to evaluating the Reinsdorf ownership's legacy.
It should be noted that the "retrenchment" years were the collusion years, according to legal penalties and settlements anyway. Owners across baseball agreed to go cheap. The Sox re-signed Fisk during that period but no one else but the Royals offered him a contract. As the story goes, it wasn't better than the White Sox were offering. During that period, the Cubs got Andre Dawson for a base salary of half of what the Expos paid him the year before. Dawson reportedly went to the Cubs because no one was offering him a free-agent contract.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:44 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
It should be noted that the "retrenchment" years were the collusion years, according to legal penalties and settlements anyway. Owners across baseball agreed to go cheap. The Sox re-signed Fisk during that period but no one else but the Royals offered him a contract. As the story goes, it wasn't better than the White Sox were offering. During that period, the Cubs got Andre Dawson for a base salary of half of what the Expos paid him the year before. Dawson reportedly went to the Cubs because no one was offering him a free-agent contract.
The flubbies weren't even going to sign him. Then Dawson said, "I'll sign a blank contract. Fill in what you think I'm worth." The flubbies were stuffed. If they didn't sign him they basically proved collusion all by themselves.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-24-2013, 11:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

I don't think the issue with MB was his ability going forward, it was other team's offering him 54$M for 4 years. He ain't that good.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:22 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Buehrle's stats this year back in the AL are far from dazzling. But yeah, Danks ended up a poor decision thus far.
Buehrle was terrible for his first 9 starts this season going 1-3 with a 6.33 ERA, but since May 22nd he's 8-4 with a 3.19 ERA. Of course, you can't just erase the first 6 weeks of the season.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
I don't think the issue with MB was his ability going forward, it was other team's offering him 54$M for 4 years. He ain't that good.
I agree that was a lot for MB and I was happy for him that he got it. But, I would rather have given him that money than Dunn and guaranteeing no playoffs for 4 years. Adam Dunn has never, not will he ever help a team to a playoff spot. Can't handle the pressure when it matters and has the absolute laziest off season attitude. He's a bum and is not worth it if winning championships is something that matters to a team.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:35 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
After getting shelled on May 6 by the Rays his ERA was 7.02. It is now at 4.23. I'm not saying the Sox should have kept Buehrle, just that it might be premature to write him off. He may still have a few decent years left in him.
Mark is quietly putting together a solid season after a rough start.

I think the question of whether the Sox should have kept Buehrle instead of extending Danks is a legitimate one. But, I can see why they chose Danks. He's something like 6 years younger than Buehrle. MB might be making less than Danks this year, but he's going to make $18M next year and $19M in 2015. I think there was no way in hell JR was going to commit that much to a pitcher who will be in his mid 30s at that point.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:54 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Mark is quietly putting together a solid season after a rough start.

I think the question of whether the Sox should have kept Buehrle instead of extending Danks is a legitimate one. But, I can see why they chose Danks. He's something like 6 years younger than Buehrle. MB might be making less than Danks this year, but he's going to make $18M next year and $19M in 2015. I think there was no way in hell JR was going to commit that much to a pitcher who will be in his mid 30s at that point.
Yeah, the decision to let Buehrle walk centered around the Marlins' ridiculously lavish contract offer that they clearly had no intention of seeing to the end.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:05 AM
WSI Personality

I was told a few weeks ago by somebody who works for the White Sox that Dunn won't be on the White Sox in 2014. He called Dunn poison. That being said I was hoping that Dunn would be gone to some contender before the 2013 season was over. Its almost August 31st and it doesn't look like Dunn is going to be moved. It doesn't seem like these contenders want Dunn. The Pirates just picked up Byrd. The Rangers who seem to have a major hole at DH don't want Dunn either. I read somewhere that the Rangers plan on on using Nelson Cruz as there DH in the 2013 playoffs. I'm beginning to wonder if the White Sox are going to get stuck with Dunn for the 2014 season. Dave Schuester of the SCORE has said on the radio that Dunn has told him he intends to keep playing after his contract is up after the 2014 season. If that is the case I hope he doesn't sign another contract with the White Sox.

Last edited by Golden Sox; 08-28-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I was told a few weeks ago by somebody who works for the White Sox that Dunn won't be on the White Sox in 2014. He called Dunn poison. That being said I was hoping that Dunn would be gone to some contender before the 2013 season was over. Its almost August 31st and it doesn't look like Dunn is going to be moved. It doesn't seem like these contenders want Dunn. The Pirates just picked up Byrd. The Rangers who seem to have a major hole at DH don't want Dunn either. I read somewhere that the Rangers plan on on using Nelson Cruz as there DH in the 2013 playoffs. I'm beginning to wonder if the White Sox are going to get stuck with Dunn for the 2014 season. Dave Schuester of the SCORE has said on the radio that Dunn has told him he intends to keep plying after his contract is up after the 2014 season. If that is the case I hope he doesn't sign another contract with the White Sox.
Honestly, I just flat out don't believe you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 08-28-2013, 10:57 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
This is the same poster who once posted that he knew someone who worked for Macy's that said they were going to close the State Street store on Saturdays, so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

About Dunn going the other way more.

In the article they list his stats since 6/8: .299, 17 HR, 48 RBI, 40 BB
Old 08-28-2013, 11:34 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
About Dunn going the other way more.

In the article they list his stats since 6/8: .299, 17 HR, 48 RBI, 40 BB
And he is available for a month of this years salary and all of next. Not a sniff by 29 clubs. That should tell everyone his worth.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:28 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I'll only believe it if the guy called him Adam Done.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

I agree. ''Poison''? That is a very damning description, and from all appearances, he is a solid clubhouse guy.