White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 10:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default *Official* We've got Losing Ugly down 8/26 postgamer

Estos equipos son muy malos.

This series will be like watching a series of car accidents.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Reed has pitched 8/11 days and Jones 5/6 in these all important games for the race to 70 wins.
A professional please, Hahn.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:49 PM
Banned

How can you say that this is winning ugly when we lost?
Old 08-26-2013, 11:00 PM
WSI Guru

The Sox have been playing pretty good ball the last three weeks, but they reverted back to the sloppy ways we've seen throughout most of the season tonight. They were almost able to outhit their mistakes, but pitching, defense and baserunning all stunk in this game.

I guess Reed was due for a bad outing. He's been very good of late. Retired the first two hitters with no problem, but that was a sloppy breaking ball to Dominguez.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 08-26-2013, 11:03 PM
WSI Guru

Chris Carter has looked ok when he's played the Sox. Too lazy right now to look up his stats against the other 28 teams this year. He's got some pop though.

EDIT- Nevermind. He's batting .210. with 175 Ks. Yeah, he sucks. He's an inexpensive Adam Dunn.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 08-26-2013, 11:04 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Chris Carter has looked ok when he's played the Sox. Too lazy right now to look up his stats against the other 28 teams this year. He's got some pop though.
That home run he hit off Reed was not that bad of a pitch. It was a good piece of hitting, actually.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Reed has pitched 8/11 days and Jones 5/6 in these all important games for the race to 70 wins.
A professional please, Hahn.
There is nothing wrong with a young closer pitching in situations in which he will have to pitch in the future, especially considering the stretches this season when he didn't have the opportunity to pitch in save situations or with a tie in the ninth or later.

It isn't like Jones can take his place occasionally because he has been needed in most of the games where Reed has pitched. And Thornton was traded by popular demand.

Tonight's game was the third game I remember the Sox scoring five in an inning to take the lead in a game this year. In all three, the Sox lost the lead in the next half inning. I also remember the Sox scoring five in an inning to make a game close against the Angels, but the Angels came up with four in the next half inning to put the game out of reach.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:23 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
There is nothing wrong with a young closer pitching in situations in which he will have to pitch in the future, especially considering the stretches this season when he didn't have the opportunity to pitch in save situations or with a tie in the ninth or later.

It isn't like Jones can take his place occasionally because he has been needed in most of the games where Reed has pitched. And Thornton was traded by popular demand.
I realize he has no one else to pitch...but tough. Pitch them anyway. Rienzo should have been pulled earlier too...doesn't really matter I guess, and it's an obvious effect of nothing in the pen past Jones and Reed.
And it's highly doubtful there will be a situation in which Reed must throw 8/11 games, 6 games in a row at one point, and the set-up guy 5/6. After all, I would think that other teams, especially teams in contention, would pitch their relievers like this if it was so necessary. But they don't. But Ventura insists on it, with a team out of contention. The front office needs to wake up.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
And Thornton was traded by popular demand.

The trade may have been by "popular demand" but it was both stupid and shortsighted.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:36 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insp View Post
The trade may have been by "popular demand" but it was both stupid and shortsighted.
You realize thornton has a 6M option for next year with a 1M buyout? Why in the name of the heavens would the Sox want to keep him this year? To shore up a relief staff on a team thats been a cooked goose for months?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:40 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
You realize thornton has a 6M option for next year with a 1M buyout? Why in the name of the heavens would the Sox want to keep him this year? To shore up a relief staff on a team thats been a cooked goose for months?
I read that according to the terms of the deal, the White Sox sent enough money with Thornton to pay for his buyout. I'm too tired now to check to confirm that.

I also remember only rejoicing here when Thornton was traded, although few had hopes for what was coming back in return.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:04 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I realize he has no one else to pitch...but tough. Pitch them anyway. Rienzo should have been pulled earlier too...doesn't really matter I guess, and it's an obvious effect of nothing in the pen past Jones and Reed.
And it's highly doubtful there will be a situation in which Reed must throw 8/11 games, 6 games in a row at one point, and the set-up guy 5/6. After all, I would think that other teams, especially teams in contention, would pitch their relievers like this if it was so necessary. But they don't. But Ventura insists on it, with a team out of contention. The front office needs to wake up.
It is not uncommon for closers and primary set-up men on contenders to pitch five games in a week, especially with more teams getting antsy about the pitches the number of pitches their starting pitchers are throwing. Matt Lindstrom, though, leads White Sox pitchers in appearances. For quite awhile, he was leading the league. He has quite a few partial innings, but he has, no doubt, warmed up in the bullpen more than any other White Sox pitcher this season.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:04 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
I read that according to the terms of the deal, the White Sox sent enough money with Thornton to pay for his buyout. I'm too tired now to check to confirm that.

I also remember only rejoicing here when Thornton was traded, although few had hopes for what was coming back in return.

I believe they sent .75M. What they got in return was more than what thornton will help this years lost club. Even though I dont think it was much.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:25 AM
WSI Regular

The Sox have played good ball lately but it's games like this that remind us that the true prize is not to win 70 but get a top 3 draft pick.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:48 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by insp View Post
Thornton was up and down when he got to Boston then went on the DL. He has only pitched 8 innings. He just came off the DL.