White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 02:48 PM
WSI High Priest

PK is only now starting to get his normal bat speed back....maybe not all the way back ,but he is getting there.

He is still one of the smartest hitters around, and the other nite the Texas reliever was throwing 100mph and PK was turning him around with hard hit foul balls pulled over the 3rd base dugout.

He still has bat speed, when healthy.

I hope he gets 100% healthy and comes back on a year to year basis.
In case fans have failed to notice....it is hard to find good hitters around MLB these days...guys above .260 are hard to find.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:53 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
Konerko needs to retire. He's got nothing meaningful to contribute. He's hitting .236 with 42 RBIs in the 4 and 5 hole. One more year of age and it only gets worse. It's time for some young players to get a chance.
Players make comebacks all the time. It doesn't mean the Sox should bank their 2014 on Konerko having a glorious comeback, but if he wants to play and can find somebody to take him, more power to him. Who are we to say that he needs to retire?

Personally, I'd love to see him try for 500 homeruns, even if it means doing it in an Astros uniform.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:58 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
PK is only now starting to get his normal bat speed back....maybe not all the way back ,but he is getting there.

He is still one of the smartest hitters around, and the other nite the Texas reliever was throwing 100mph and PK was turning him around with hard hit foul balls pulled over the 3rd base dugout.

In case fans have failed to notice....it is hard to find good hitters around MLB these days...guys above .260 are hard to find.
Well, with an OPS+ of 73, Paulie is substantially worse than the average MLB hitter in 2013. Guys hitting above .260 might be somewhat hard to find, but Konerko is hitting just .236 and slugging a pathetic .345. Ramirez and Keppinger are the only Sox regulars hitting with less power this season (Beckham's ISO is .109, just behind Paulie's .110, while Ramirez is at .083 and Keppinger .053; even Gillespie is at .136). In other words, even when he's getting hits, they're almost always singles (of 86 hits this season, only 22 have been XBH with 13 2Bs and 9 HRs).

He's done. Unless the Sox bring in someone else to play 1B and put Dunn back at DH (and barring an unlikely trade), I fully expect Adam to start most games at 1B in 2014.

I wish Paulie the best of luck in the future and he's had a great career in Chicago. But I do not want to see him return in 2014. If another team wishes to employ him, that's fine and I hope he succeeds.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:46 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post

It's easy to find middle of the order hitters who can drive in more than 42 runs and score more than 30 runs. That is ridiculously horrible production for a guy who has batted 4th or 5th most of the year.

I can't imagine why any team would want him if he decides to keep playing.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:02 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
I can't imagine why any team would want him if he decides to keep playing.
A guy that cant hit, cant run, cant play the field much anymore is a guy that will sit by a phone that wont ring. Ask Jim Thome.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:04 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

I think you guys are forgetting how horrible some teams and many DH's are. IF he wants to play, and doesn't care about his salary or where he plays, somebody will at least give him a spring training invite to see if he is over his injuries and can get his magic back.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
Players make comebacks all the time. It doesn't mean the Sox should bank their 2014 on Konerko having a glorious comeback, but if he wants to play and can find somebody to take him, more power to him. Who are we to say that he needs to retire?

Personally, I'd love to see him try for 500 homeruns, even if it means doing it in an Astros uniform.
Completely agree. Paulie will always be remembered for what he did in a White Sox uniform. If he plays another year or two in another city (like Frank and others did), that won't diminish or tarnish his link to this franchise. He's certainly earned the right to go out on whatever terms he thinks are best for him (and his legacy).
Old 08-28-2013, 12:21 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
I think you guys are forgetting how horrible some teams and many DH's are. IF he wants to play, and doesn't care about his salary or where he plays, somebody will at least give him a spring training invite to see if he is over his injuries and can get his magic back.
Sure, I just hope that team isn't the White Sox.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Banned

I personally hope he retires. Even if he's "coming around", another injury is more likely than a healthy season. Unless he wants to sign a one year deal as a backup, it's time to move on.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:18 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I personally hope he retires. Even if he's "coming around", another injury is more likely than a healthy season. Unless he wants to sign a one year deal as a backup, it's time to move on.
Every silver lining has a dark cloud, eh?
Old 08-29-2013, 02:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I doubt PK would stick around to be a backup, he's freaking PK! Can't see him wanting to go out like that. But yeah I agree it's probably time to say goodbye to #14. But if I go out to spring training in March and he is still on the team I won't be mad.