White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 12:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default How did the Sox get so many Civil Rights games?

Didnt Hawk say they are in on somthing like 50% of the games played this yr? What committee decides who gets these games? Its cool as hell we got so many!!

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 08-26-2013, 02:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by white sox bill View Post
Didnt Hawk say they are in on somthing like 50% of the games played this yr? What committee decides who gets these games? Its cool as hell we got so many!!
I think that they are an annual event and the Sox have been in three of seven. No idea who picks the game locale but Chicago is centrally located, and Comiskey Park hosted several Negro League All-Star games.

SMO
Old 08-26-2013, 02:23 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillMissOzzie View Post
I think that they are an annual event and the Sox have been in three of seven. No idea who picks the game locale but Chicago is centrally located, and Comiskey Park hosted several Negro League All-Star games.

SMO
This is the first time that we hosted, one though, right? I'm pretty sure the last two Civil Rights games we played in were in Memphis and Atlanta.

But I agree, it's probably location and the general reputation of the city. Nobody is having a weekend-long celebration in Houston, for example.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Chicago is still considered the capitol of Black America.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:01 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
Chicago is still considered the capitol of Black America.
I would think Atlanta would get that moniker nowadays, although there isn't a specific building to use as a landmark.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillMissOzzie View Post

SMO
Old Comiskey had a game just about every year of the 30 year run. After MLB desegregated, attendance and the league itself fell apart.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I would think Atlanta would get that moniker nowadays, although there isn't a specific building to use as a landmark.
Atlanta or DC, depending on who you ask.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 08-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
This is the first time that we hosted, one though, right? I'm pretty sure the last two Civil Rights games we played in were in Memphis and Atlanta.

But I agree, it's probably location and the general reputation of the city. Nobody is having a weekend-long celebration in Houston, for example.
It used to be a pre-season game. I think it was either last year or 2011 when it became a regular season game. I went to the 2008 game against the Mets in Memphis. It was the first time I saw Alexei Ramirez and was shocked at how skinny he was.

All hail The Rick
Old 08-26-2013, 11:20 PM
WSI High Priest

JR is pretty active on civil rights causes, isn't he?
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 08-26-2013, 11:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
It used to be a pre-season game. I think it was either last year or 2011 when it became a regular season game. I went to the 2008 game against the Mets in Memphis. It was the first time I saw Alexei Ramirez and was shocked at how skinny he was.
Actually, I think it became a regular season game in 2009 when the White Sox played Cincinnati and wore 1964 throwbacks. I also think that Gordon Beckham hit his first home run in that game.

Go Sox!!!
Old 08-27-2013, 08:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Actually, I think it became a regular season game in 2009 when the White Sox played Cincinnati and wore 1964 throwbacks. I also think that Gordon Beckham hit his first home run in that game.
All of these are correct. I was at Midway coming back from a cruise during that game. Bizarre how we remember those things.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

True who'd wanna sit in swelltering 95 degree high humidity? Oh wait....

But yes been in Houston few times, its big, congested and not much character or culture. Chi town much better choice
Old 08-27-2013, 01:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

I was at the White Sox pre-season game in ATL on 3/31/07 and they did a little presentation about the Civil Rights Game, so I thought that was the game, but in fact "the" Civil Rights Game was played that day in Memphis, and all the other MLB pre-season games played that day just referred to it. Or something.