White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What should we do with Sale for the rest of the year?
Shut him down! Not worth the risk. 5 4.63%
Ease him out. Miss a few starts. 54 50.00%
Pitch him and build up arm strength so he's effective longer next year. 37 34.26%
Let him eat churros! 12 11.11%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2013, 08:06 AM
Banned

Default Should we shut down Sale?

With the season lost and Sale looking like a disaster yesterday, do we shut him down for the year? Or have him skip a few starts? He fell apart at the end of the year last year too, maybe he needs to take a start or two off? Is pitching him even now worth the risk? What does everybody think?
Old 08-24-2013, 08:23 AM
WSI Personality

Give the kid a couple of starts off. It's a long season.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:12 AM
WSI Prelate

Should have tapered him back a month ago.

Bland, I'd be interested to hear your take on Rienzo.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:13 AM
WSI Regular

No! He isn't a baby, you eventually have to let him pitch a whole season.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

Sale needs to continue to pitch because he has a lot to learn.

He's very talented, but he needs to learn to concentrate on making a good pitch every time he throws the ball because that pitch can be the difference in the ballgame. (See the first home run he allowed last night.)

Sale also needs to learn to control his emotions on the mound. His act, perhaps picked up from Peavy, of visibly getting mad after making a mistake is getting old. It only compounds the original mistake. (See the second home run he allowed last night.)
Old 08-24-2013, 09:24 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFanCPA View Post
No! He isn't a baby, you eventually have to let him pitch a whole season.
I agree, if he can't pitch a whole season now, how can the Sox expect him to pitch late in the season when they are playoff bound. This shutting down pitchers trend is getting ridiculous.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:26 AM
WSI High Priest

He's an ace. Aces pitch the whole season.

He's got 6-7 more starts. If they want to watch his innings and pitch count in those starts, that's fine. But he should take the mound the rest of the season and get his 30-31 starts for the season.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:30 AM
MMXXIII

I don't pretend to have nearly enough knowledge on pitching mechanics or kinesiology to make very informed decisions on the subject so whatever the Sox decide to do will, IMO, be the correct decision. For all the things this organization does poorly, and that's quite a laundry list, they do seem to have a knack for developing pitching and protecting player's health.

That also said, the Rangers aren't exactly a slouch of a team, I'm sure Sale's not the first pitcher this season they've made look bad. If he starts getting lit up by the Astros and Marlins, OK, then maybe I'll wonder. In 2 of his last 3 starts, Sale's shut down the Tigers and Yankees, so at this point, it seems prudent to think yesterday was the exception and not the rule.

Also, finally, Sale did struggle last September, and I'd personally prefer he learn how to keep stretching out and lasting a full season in a wasted year, rather than have him melt down again late in a meaningful season.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Should have tapered him back a month ago.

Bland, I'd be interested to hear your take on Rienzo.
I think for his success to continue he'll need to improve his breaking stuff. I also worry about PED use. He was suspended in the minors and wasn't as dominant after. He's older too. I think if he does improve the breaking stuff (control mostly, it's there) he could be a 4-5 guy with ceiling of a 2-3.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:16 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Sale needs to continue to pitch because he has a lot to learn.

He's very talented, but he needs to learn to concentrate on making a good pitch every time he throws the ball because that pitch can be the difference in the ballgame. (See the first home run he allowed last night.)

Sale also needs to learn to control his emotions on the mound. His act, perhaps picked up from Peavy, of visibly getting mad after making a mistake is getting old. It only compounds the original mistake. (See the second home run he allowed last night.)
I agree with you.
I don't like this stopping pitchers in August stuff. He does have great room for improvement.
As I've said a million times, I just think we should have taken it easy on the number of pitches he actually throw in a given game.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I agree with you.
I don't like this stopping pitchers in August stuff. He does have great room for improvement.
As I've said a million times, I just think we should have taken it easy on the number of pitches he actually throw in a given game.
I think you might be right about that, but now that it's already done...shouldn't we consider it?
Old 08-24-2013, 10:30 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I think you might be right about that, but now that it's already done...shouldn't we consider it?
Absolutely. I voted to shut him down. But I don't like it that that's the best option, imo.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:55 AM
WSI High Priest

I would rather have him build up his strength. I agree that it's better that he struggles now in a lost season, than when it really matters. This isn't the same case with Strasburg, Sale did not have TJ surgery.
That said, I don't understand why he was out there for the 7th inning last night. We don't need to see him throwing 110+ pitches per game. If he needs to skip a start, that is acceptable.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:04 AM
WSI Church Elder

Doing it based on last night would be reactionary. But they should have a month or so ago set it so he missed 20% of his starts going forward but setting up the rotation so that he gets as many home Sunday starts as possible.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
With the season lost and Sale looking like a disaster yesterday, do we shut him down for the year? Or have him skip a few starts? He fell apart at the end of the year last year too, maybe he needs to take a start or two off? Is pitching him even now worth the risk? What does everybody think?
This.

and this.

Maybe you did not know it (because it is a little-known fact), but the Rangers have a Catcher who used to play for the White Sox who knows Chris Sale inside/out.

All hail The Rick