White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 01:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
There was a blurb in this morning's Tribune speculating that in September, the Sox might go to a six-man rotation or shut down one or more of their young starters.
That solves part of it. But the essence of the problem, I think, is this bullpen. The only guys he trusts are Jones and Reed (and I agree with him); he uses Veal and Lindstrom but doesn't really trust them (I agree as well). He's to the point where he rarely uses the next 2 or 3.
But his decisions given that reality are what I question. I don't think the answer is to pitch Reed 6 games in a row (Jones is heavily pitched too); nor throwing the starters 110+ innings routinely. I'd rather pitch PUrcey and Axe and risk a loss, than beat on the studs like that. There's a bigger picture. And Wednesday we had a 3 run lead....if he couldn't try another guy then, when will he?
He's like a college coach burning redshirts with 3 games left in the season to keep his job....although I don't see how 70 wins v. 60 will make a difference.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post

AJ and Alex return....do not boo, please.
The Cell might be the only place where Pierzynski shouldn't expect heavy booing in a visitor's uniform. White Sox fans have no reason to boo Pierzynski.

Rios on the other hand, will likely be booed. And if he runs out his ground balls hard (which he is more likely to do the louder the booing gets), the booing will only get louder. I don't know that the White Sox have ever had a player so talented and so well paid who so often showed so little effort.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:44 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post

AJ and Alex return....do not boo, please.
Good luck with that one. I will be joining in the throngs of booing fans tonight, although I will cheer him when he inevitably hits into a double play.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:05 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
He's like a college coach burning redshirts with 3 games left in the season to keep his job....although I don't see how 70 wins v. 60 will make a difference.
It's also possible the Sox are showcasing some of these guys. If there's one thing this team does have an abundance of, it is young pitching. Probably the only 2 SP you can definitely pencil in the rotation for next season is Sale (because he's a ****ing beast) and Danks (because of the contract). But after that, between Quintana, Santiago, Rienzo, Johnson, and maybe even Snodgress you have potentially 5 pitchers to fill 3 slots. It would absolutely not be crazy to think the Sox might deal from their strength to address some of their weaknesses in the off-season.

The same is true in the bullpen. There's no reason to think Reed won't be shopped this winter, closers are more valuable to teams that expect to be winning in the 9th inning regularly. Between Jones, Petricka, and Daniel Webb, the Sox have 3 candidates to replace him if he is dealt.

And again, all of this criticism comes against the backdrop that the Sox are probably one of the 2-3 best teams in the Majors at developing young pitching right now and have arguably the best training staff in the league, as well. If you want to talk about them rushing some of their young hitters in the minors, I'll listen to that, that's been a pretty regular criticism of this team in the last few years, but they do have a very good track record of developing and protecting young arms.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:35 PM
WSI High Priest

I would rather hang on to Reed, unless a deal is mindblowing. A strong closer helps for a young team. There are few things more demoralizing than blowing a game in the 9th. That will be some competition between arms next year, but some of the guys could get traded for position players.