White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 10:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

A couple of other notes: Conor Gillapsie's game winning homer was his 11th home run this year. The only MLB rookies with more homers? Evan Gattis with 15, Jedd Gyorko with 14 and Yasiel Puig with 12. Gillaspie's offensive numbers are very comparable to those of Nolan Arenado of Colorado although, to be fair, Arenado might already be the best defensive 3B in baseball. Gillaspie is a good fielder but not as good as Arenado.

And Jake Petricka got the win. It is good to see the Sox turning the page and moving forward.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Nice to see Jose keep battling after falling behind. And great to have the young guys come through. At least they can start moving forward. Now they are having fun out there.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:30 AM
WSI High Priest

Congratulations to Jake Petricka on his first MLB win. He had to throw a total of 5 pitches in the majors before getting that 1st win.

The shortest wait for a major league win in White Sox history:
http://www.southsidesox.com/2013/8/2...t-five-pitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
First sweep of KC since 2009

My god that is depressing
That really says a lot about this team over the last 4 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
There are some guys that just love to play when nothing is on the line. Dunn seems to be one of them, maybe beckham is also.
Dunn, yes. Beckham is still young enough that this could very well be him finally figuring things out vs. major league pitching. I think it's a bit early to say that Gordon is one of those players who only does well when the team is out of the running.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I'd still like the higher draft pick, too.
I'm not going to root for the Sox to lose. So, this 6 game winning streak has been a breath of fresh air after months of lousy play.

But, that being said, this team isn't going anywhere and I wouldn't mind a shot at a higher draft pick. I believe that would come with higher money allotted for the international draft too.

Hey, if the Sox win enough games to get the 11th pick, then at least some can keep the excuse alive that the Sox farm system is bad because we almost never have top 10 picks.

Quote:
Pretty much, although, let's not forget this win streak is at the hands of the Twins who are probably worse than we are and the fading Royals. I expect a pretty cold dose of reality tomorrow when the Rangers come to town.
But, after that we get the Astros. I'm not under any illusion that this Sox team is only 1 or 2 pieces away from contending, but with this starting pitching, they really shouldn't have been making a run at the 1970 team's loss total. One nice thing is that they were able to plug in Rienzo into the rotation after trading Peavy. So, it wasn't just us trading our veterans and fielding total scrubs after they were gone.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I think the crouch is working for Beckham. He's not getting himself out by chasing high fastballs as often as he has the last two years.
He's also become a slap hitter that doesn't walk or steal bases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 08-23-2013, 11:21 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
He went on a tear when he came back from 2 months of DL and rehab. Roughly the same time as Dunn's revival. He's only played in 73 games this season. Otherwise he's been a disappointment at bat since August of 2009. NoNeck may be right.

OR....The crouch is working for Beckham and Dunn's finally going to the left side and shortening up with two strikes.
Beckham got off to a good start in the first homestand of the season when the Sox won four of six. He was coming off a spring when he looked like he would have a strong offensive season. He went down in the first game of the first roadtrip, and the rest of the team followed. I think Beckham was going to have a good season, and a big reason the Sox fell out of contention was that they lost him.

When the team is losing after falling out of the race, fans complain they don't care. When they are winning after falling out of the race, fans complain that they didn't have the heart to win when it counted, or something like that. Or that it was against only the Royals and the Twins. But before the streak, the Sox swept a series against the Yankees and took two of three from the Tigers. They had a three-run lead in the Tigers game, but you have to go back awhile to find a White Sox loss where they didn't have a three-run lead at one point. And the team is doing it with a bullpen diminished from the start of the season, with the three experienced quality arms probably coming in to too many games.

I don't know that losing Peavy helped much, but Rios certainly looks unmissed (although he'll probably have a great offensive series against the Sox, just as Swisher's numbers against the White Sox have him hitting above .240 for the Indians this season).

Getting excited about a last-place team on an August winning streak isn't really appropriate, but the team still deserves credit for winning.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
The wrist injury usually robs players of power for the season in which it occurs.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
His slugging percentage is the highest it's been since his rookie season and his OPS is 50 some points higher than his career average, and that's even with him "slumping" the last couple of games. Not to mention he had a pretty serious wrist injury this year.

I don't know that he'll reproduce this next season but there is no reason to dog him this year.

The single greatest postgame thread ever conceived on WSI:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...ostgame+Royals
Old 08-23-2013, 12:01 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
At least the booing Rios is sure to receive appears to be justifiable.
Don't worry, I've already been assured by WSI that Sox fans aren't that "foolish" and that nothing of the sort will happen.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...d.php?t=138907
Old 08-23-2013, 12:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Beckham got off to a good start in the first homestand of the season when the Sox won four of six. He was coming off a spring when he looked like he would have a strong offensive season. He went down in the first game of the first roadtrip, and the rest of the team followed. I think Beckham was going to have a good season, and a big reason the Sox fell out of contention was that they lost him.

When the team is losing after falling out of the race, fans complain they don't care. When they are winning after falling out of the race, fans complain that they didn't have the heart to win when it counted, or something like that. Or that it was against only the Royals and the Twins. But before the streak, the Sox swept a series against the Yankees and took two of three from the Tigers. They had a three-run lead in the Tigers game, but you have to go back awhile to find a White Sox loss where they didn't have a three-run lead at one point. And the team is doing it with a bullpen diminished from the start of the season, with the three experienced quality arms probably coming in to too many games.

I don't know that losing Peavy helped much, but Rios certainly looks unmissed (although he'll probably have a great offensive series against the Sox, just as Swisher's numbers against the White Sox have him hitting above .240 for the Indians this season).

Getting excited about a last-place team on an August winning streak isn't really appropriate, but the team still deserves credit for winning.
We wouldn't have Avisail Garcia without losing Peavy.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by insp View Post
As a paying fan, I fully expect my team to play its best at all times no matter what.

What kind of fan are you?
I'm a non-paying fan.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-23-2013, 12:47 PM
WSI High Priest

I like seeing the Sox enjoy some success, even tho they are out of it.

Now, that said, I do want to secure a top 3 or 4 draft slot, so I am torn on how much they should win.

I say keep winning until Sept 1, then bring in a boatload of young guys, and rest our top starters , and lose games.

Beckham has turned the corner, I firmly believe. He has squared up most pitches the last 6-8 weeks. He is going to be the face of the team going forward....the new PK. Garcia will be a better player but Gordo will give the interviews.

Jose was good last nite, with only the one braincramp in the 5th.

AJ and Alex return....do not boo, please.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:04 PM
WSI High Priest

I think that Beckham is at his best when he can drive the ball to right field. Even if the wrist injury has taken away some of his power, he made some good adjustments. He should be part of the rebuild.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
AJ and Alex return....do not boo, please.
I agree. I'll be there and will stand and cheer both (though louder and longer for AJ). Ditto for Neal Cotts if he gets in the game.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:26 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
You'll always find a reason to criticize him. I get it.

But, he still the best hitter on the team right now. He leads the team in both batting average and on-base percentage. His OPS is a full 90 points higher than it was last season.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/