White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 08:06 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
The money they'd save by dealing him now compared to dealing him at the deadline next summer is considerable.
Deal him? Hes cleared waivers and is free for the taking. No one has or will bite so it would be major salt and peppering time now to get rid of him.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Deal him? Hes cleared waivers and is free for the taking. No one has or will bite so it would be major salt and peppering time now to get rid of him.
They didn't want to get stuck with all of that salary. I hope we would eat a good bit of it to get a decent prospect in here. Dunn is a placeholder IF he has a decent year next year. But he's hot now, so I'd think the prospects of moving him will never be brighter.
I hope we work on Viciedo at first.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:28 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
They didn't want to get stuck with all of that salary. I hope we would eat a good bit of it to get a decent prospect in here. Dunn is a placeholder IF he has a decent year next year. But he's hot now, so I'd think the prospects of moving him will never be brighter.
I hope we work on Viciedo at first.

My point was that dealing him now may not help the club more than next year at the deadline. A lot of money would have to be eaten now and I dont think they would get much of a prospect in return. Next year the Sox will need at least one outfielder, 1st base and/or DH. Viciedo will fill one of those slots but there will still be two to be filled.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
My point was that dealing him now may not help the club more than next year at the deadline. A lot of money would have to be eaten now and I dont think they would get much of a prospect in return. Next year the Sox will need at least one outfielder, 1st base and/or DH. Viciedo will fill one of those slots but there will still be two to be filled.
Teams needing a bat will want someone who's hot at the moment they swing the deal. Right now, Dunn is hot enough to attract interest, if the Sox eat some of the salary. Next year, the acquiring team would care less about salary, but Dunn might be ice cold and completely untradeable.

Unless KW is somehow running the Cubs by then...
Old 08-21-2013, 10:42 PM
WSI Prelate

If he was wanted by a team, the Sox would likely deal him.

Jesus Christ, people. You and your releasing and your (former) DFA'ing. Does anyone understand baseball? No one (basically no one, so don't give me the occasional exception) does these things.

It's all kneejerk bull****, and honestly, I hope Adam Dunn is here next season to hit 50 homers and throw it all in your damn faces.

PS: I don't even care about Adam Dunn and if the Sox got anything for him tomorrow, that would be great, but so many of you are not living in reality.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-21-2013, 11:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Good point. If he is hitting well in July 14, that could be his max value point. But that's a big IF.
Yea we have holes. We have money. Do the best we can this offseason..don't waste it on marginal players. We could also make some trades player for player, but those just don't seem to happen much anymore. it's always someone for prospects.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:31 AM
Banned

I really hope Dunn continues to do well as the Sox may be able to get something of value for him this offseason. Since the Sox won't be contending next year, it really isn't worth it to have him around next year.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
I really hope Dunn continues to do well as the Sox may be able to get something of value for him this offseason. Since the Sox won't be contending next year, it really isn't worth it to have him around next year.
It wasn't worth having him around when we were contending, either.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:31 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
My fear is Dunn is worse next year and the Sox get the mediocre prospect and nothing else next July.
One man's fear is another's most optimistic vision for the future.

We're not getting anything for Dunn. We'll be paying most of his salary while he plays for someone else.

At this point, our Minor League System is laughably bad, and there are no better options, so Dunn is really a non-issue at this point.

I know he's the whipping boy here, and for very valid reasons, but he's not the biggest problem on the team right now.

PK is another issue, if he doesn't retire. A minor league free agent could duplicate his .660 OPS.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:38 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
One man's fear is another's most optimistic vision for the future.

We're not getting anything for Dunn. We'll be paying most of his salary while he plays for someone else.

At this point, our Minor League System is laughably bad, and there are no better options, so Dunn is really a non-issue at this point.

I know he's the whipping boy here, and for very valid reasons, but he's not the biggest problem on the team right now.

PK is another issue, if he doesn't retire. A minor league free agent could duplicate his .660 OPS.
I wasn't aware that we had to keep signing him to contracts until he retires.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:57 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
I wasn't aware that we had to keep signing him to contracts until he retires.
No one said we did have an obligation, but the White Sox will have a PR dilemma if he chooses not to retire and they don't attempt to resign him.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
No one said we did have an obligation, but the White Sox will have a PR dilemma if he chooses not to retire and they don't attempt to resign him.
If he wasn't completely abysmal this year, it might be. But he's done like dinner.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
They didn't have one when Thomas left, or AJ, or Buehrle, and they won't have one now. Fans get over things (except Reinsdorf's role in the strike) quickly. Few people, I bet, are going to the park these days to see Paulie play.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:17 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Anybody who gets pissed off if the Sox let Paulie walk can just turn their fan card in right meow
Old 08-22-2013, 09:18 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
They didn't have one when Thomas left, or AJ, or Buehrle, and they won't have one now. Fans get over things (except Reinsdorf's role in the strike) quickly. Few people, I bet, are going to the park these days to see Paulie play.
Also, what Eddie Einhorn said about the Sox being Chicago's American League team 30 ****ing years ago