White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 04:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
This is a guy that does his best work on crap teams. What he is doing now means nothing, the other 29 teams realize this also.
Yup.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:20 PM
WSI High Priest

WSI Hates Adam Dunn
WSI Loves Tank
Old 08-20-2013, 09:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
WSI Hates Adam Dunn
WSI Loves Tank
Care to point out all this love for Tank, because I'm failing to see it?
Old 08-20-2013, 10:26 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
If the argument is the Sox should retain Dunn through the remainder of his contract because they don't have a viable replacement in their system, I can respect that point of view.
How is that even a valid point of view, though?

Dunn is sunken cost. We will not be able to take advantage of his services if he manages to turn things around. Why would you want to hang onto him? There is no reason, at all, that we should not dump Dunn (eating most of his salary if needed). None!

Dump this guy and do it now.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:44 PM
WSI Personality

Default Keep him next year

You want to be competitive next year and have the starting rotation to do so. We don't have another left handed power hitter to replace him.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:16 AM
WSI High Priest

In two years this guy will probably be the 1st non suspected juicer to have 500+HR's and never make the HOF.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunofgold View Post
You want to be competitive next year and have the starting rotation to do so. We don't have another left handed power hitter to replace him.
This team does not plan to compete next year, which is good, because they don't have the pieces to do so.

Dunn is not someone you can build around.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:12 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
This team does not plan to compete next year, which is good, because they don't have the pieces to do so.

Dunn is not someone you can build around.
But no team raises the white flag in spring training either. They will try and look like they are competing in an effort to keep selling tickets. I think what they do is work next winter to unload Dunn for the best deal possible . But they will then sign another DH type with whatever money they can save by trading Dunn. But I don't think they will just release Dunn and go with Danks-Tank-Keppionger etc type as a DH out of spring training. They still need window dressing.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post

Dunn is sunken cost. We will not be able to take advantage of his services if he manages to turn things around. Why would you want to hang onto him? There is no reason, at all, that we should not dump Dunn (eating most of his salary if needed). None!

Glad you're not our GM.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:37 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:

Oh, Lordy, he's not blocking anyone in the system from getting PT in Chicago so what point does it serve just to release him? Next July, he'll only have a few months left on his deal, if he can possibly keep his turnaround going to start the 2014 season maybe (maybe) you can find someone willing to take a flyer on him. The Cubs were able to unload Alfonso Soriano and the Jays were able to get rid of Vernon Wells, both players though to be untradeable at one point in their careers.

If Dunn is keeping a highly touted young player stuck in AA or AAA, that's one thing. But he's not, all of the Sox's top hitting prospects still in the minors are still years away from being MLB ready. So play him out, roll the dice that he makes himself a valuable chip for next July. If he doesn't then what do you really lose?

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 08-21-2013, 10:36 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Oh, Lordy, he's not blocking anyone in the system from getting PT in Chicago so what point does it serve just to release him? Next July, he'll only have a few months left on his deal, if he can possibly keep his turnaround going to start the 2014 season maybe (maybe) you can find someone willing to take a flyer on him. The Cubs were able to unload Alfonso Soriano and the Jays were able to get rid of Vernon Wells, both players though to be untradeable at one point in their careers.

If Dunn is keeping a highly touted young player stuck in AA or AAA, that's one thing. But he's not, all of the Sox's top hitting prospects still in the minors are still years away from being MLB ready. So play him out, roll the dice that he makes himself a valuable chip for next July. If he doesn't then what do you really lose?
I agree he is not blocking, but I think after this season his value will be as high as it will ever be. I think the Sox have to see how much they will have to pay of the $15mil and make the best deal they can get. Next July, only the "haves" will bid on him while in the offseason there may be more teams interested. Even if the Sox have to eat 9 and get a mediocre prospect, maybe they can use the money to sign a quality free agent as part of the rebuild.
My fear is Dunn is worse next year and the Sox get the mediocre prospect and nothing else next July.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:32 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:

Because there will be 162 games played next season, and somebody will have to start at 1B for the White Sox in each and every one of them.

There aren't any 1B prospects in the organization ready for a big-league shot. The Sox are going to be paying Dunn next year regardless, so it's not the worst thing in the world to let him play out his contract. He can be a veteran placeholder at 1B for one more year until the Sox hopefully acquire or develop somebody who can be a long-term solution at the position.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 08-21-2013, 01:34 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
I agree he is not blocking, but I think after this season his value will be as high as it will ever be. I think the Sox have to see how much they will have to pay of the $15mil and make the best deal they can get. Next July, only the "haves" will bid on him while in the offseason there may be more teams interested. Even if the Sox have to eat 9 and get a mediocre prospect, maybe they can use the money to sign a quality free agent as part of the rebuild.
My fear is Dunn is worse next year and the Sox get the mediocre prospect and nothing else next July.
He definitely should be shopped and probably will be shopped, but I just don't know if there will be any takers. Other GMs are not stupid. They see the same weaknesses in Dunn's game that we all see.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:34 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
We'll see, I agree that Dunn will likely be shopped this off-season and, it is just my observation, I have no proof of this, the Sox have historically been more likely to eat some parts of a remaining contract when it is expiring at year's end than in the middle of a multi-year deal, but the Sox will need someone to play 1B next year; Konerko is done and I would assume extremely unlikely to return and after Dunn, the next 1B in the organization is either a whole lot of Jeff Keppinger (ugh) or Andy Wilkins... Not a lot of great options on the open market, the two most appealing look to be James Loney and Kendrys Morales but I fear that they're both going to get deals that are too expensive and long for their worth.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

I think they really need to trade him now for salary relief. The Sox have already folded the season (trading Peavy, Rios, Thornton, and Crain) and the fans have tuned out, not that Dunn brings any fans to the park anyway. The money they'd save by dealing him now compared to dealing him at the deadline next summer is considerable.

As far as who will DH in his place, it's pretty easy to find a DH (or a poor-fielding 1B) on the scrap heap. Production won't matter until the cornerstones of the rebuild are in place. They could run Travis Ishikawa out there for all I care -- the goal during a rebuild is not to win games.