White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 12:28 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqhead View Post
If anything there should be a benefit to pay for the parking/transit before taxes. From the surface it sounds like the Sox being greedy, but my company (and I'd assume most others) doesn't pay for me to get to work each day. What they do offer is to have my parking or transit costs paid for out of my check each week before taxes so that I'd end up saving a few hundred dollars a year.

The only caveat is that employers have to sign up for the program for employees to take advantage of the tax benefit, but I can't imagine there's any major employer in Chicago that doesn't.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:15 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqhead View Post
If anything there should be a benefit to pay for the parking/transit before taxes. From the surface it sounds like the Sox being greedy, but my company (and I'd assume most others) doesn't pay for me to get to work each day. What they do offer is to have my parking or transit costs paid for out of my check each week before taxes so that I'd end up saving a few hundred dollars a year.
I agree in most cases, but in this case the employer is a ballpark surrounded by a sea of parking lots, with other lots available nearby. It'd be like big box stores charging employees for parking.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:55 AM
WSI Regular

As a courtesy to their fans and to people who live in the neighborhood, the White Sox should allow ALL employees to park for free in a specified lot.

Making employees pay for parking, even if it's at a discount, forces employees to seek free parking in the neighborhood. This angers those who live in the area, as well as fans seeking free parking on the street some distance from the park.

White Sox employees, by and large, aren't paid very much anyway. Why can't the team provide free parking?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:41 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundind1 View Post
I am not going to speculate on how the people are getting them, just that all game day staff should be parking in the lots. There is plenty of lot space for everyone these days.

As for advising to not sell, no one would own up to it because it is a $500 fine each offense. They did crack down on that practice a few years ago too.

I can honestly tell you that this has only become an issue the last few years. The combination of incredibly high parking rates and game day staff have turned parking in parts of bridgeport into parking in wrigleyville. That is why we came here, to get away from that issue.

When I worked in sports, we made sure to have enough spots dedicated to game day staff and offered train and bus fare incentives for our employees as well.

Sorry to hear the sox make their employees pay to park in the lots, that should be a given benefit.
Again if they are getting passes, your neighbors are providing them. It would be pretty hard for residents to complain about an issue they are causing.

Last edited by dickallen15; 08-19-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:44 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I don't know, I can think of plenty of places where you have to pay for parking, hell, when I worked in Peoria to park in the county garage it was like $20 a month; all that land to park cars isn't free.
I'm not sure how comparable $20 a month is to $7 a day (or whatever it is now).
Old 08-19-2013, 10:21 PM
WSI Regular

My tip is to go to Shinnick's Pub at 3758 S Union, buy a drink and ask politely for a parking pass for the street and they will give you one.

$3-$4 for a beer.

A six block walk to the park.

Shinnick's is a quiet neighborhood place, and you are not going to get blender drinks or craft beers. So don't ask them for one (or you will get "The Look")! It is mostly canned beer and bottles of Heineken and your basic mixed drinks (Jack & Coke, Vodka Tonic etc.)

Been going there for 20+ years, the only times I have had an issue is with getting a pass is Opening Day and, years ago, the Sox/ Cubs games when they would run out of street passes.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:24 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
I'm not sure how comparable $20 a month is to $7 a day (or whatever it is now).
Parking is currently $20 and $10 on Sundays.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:09 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I am not going to speculate on how the people are getting them, just that all game day staff should be parking in the lots. There is plenty of lot space for everyone these days.

As for advising to not sell, no one would own up to it because it is a $500 fine each offense. They did crack down on that practice a few years ago too.

I can honestly tell you that this has only become an issue the last few years. The combination of incredibly high parking rates and game day staff have turned parking in parts of bridgeport into parking in wrigleyville. That is why we came here, to get away from that issue.

When I worked in sports, we made sure to have enough spots dedicated to game day staff and offered train and bus fare incentives for our employees as well.

Sorry to hear the sox make their employees pay to park in the lots, that should be a given benefit.
Parking is cheaper now than is was a few years ago.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

I'm not sure where you live in Bridgeport, but I was at 34th and Lowe for around 4 years, just moved out of the city about a year and a half ago and I never once had an issue with finding a parking spot within a block of my building. I think the furthest I ever had to park was the corner of 33rd and Lowe. I would see employees parking all the time in the area and like others said, they were given guest passes by people in the neighborhood, not a big deal..

To compare the congestion of Bridgeport to Wrigleyville is ridiculous
Old 08-20-2013, 11:10 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post
I'm not sure where you live in Bridgeport, but I was at 34th and Lowe for around 4 years, just moved out of the city about a year and a half ago and I never once had an issue with finding a parking spot within a block of my building. I think the furthest I ever had to park was the corner of 33rd and Lowe. I would see employees parking all the time in the area and like others said, they were given guest passes by people in the neighborhood, not a big deal..

Yeah, I live in Bridgeport too, never had an issue with parking. Maybe have to walk a block, but usually we have rockstar parking in front of our place. You can park at Schaller's Pump too. They will drive you down too. Buffalo Rings and Things has a shuttle too.

Wrigley is a mess up there. No way that is even similar to what we deal with on the South Side.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:14 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post

Okay, but I was saying that I noticed a problem with it just within the last 2 seasons or less. I am not the only one who is having a problem with it.

Maybe we ought to get the sox to only charge a reasonable rate for parking, no?

But I am at 37th and it is getting really bad here. So bad so that people are in the neighborhood are changing the signs from no thru traffic to no sox employees. I did live in both and I stand by my comparison. Not on a daily basis mind you, and certainly not congestion, but the parking issue here is getting bad with the game day employees.