White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 02:11 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
There isn't a lot for employees?

Sure there is, that will be $20, please.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 08-16-2013, 08:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I've seen employees park in Lot G for years including this year.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:59 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty99 View Post
I've seen employees park in Lot G for years including this year.
A-ha - this explains it!

I always park in lot G since it's easy to get out. I noticed this year, instead of parking people close to 35th st, all those spots seem to be taken even 1.5 hours before the game, and it's not tailgaters. So the paying customer is parked as far down as the 33rd St. side of the lot. That's happened every game I've been to this season when I've parked there.

Yet another indicator the employees don't seem to give a **** this year, or give a **** even less than usual.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:33 PM
WSI Personality

When I was a lowly gift shop employee back in the late 90s, we were allowed to park in Lot G for a reduced rate (I believe it was like $7 when regular parking was maybe $12?). I'd be surprised to hear that's not still the case. Although making your employees pay to park at all is pretty ridiculous, especially when you consider that I was only making $7.50/hr.

Oh, White Sox. How I loathe to love you.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

I was sorry to see Catchers close. That was my pregame and postgame stop for a number of years. You could always find parking there and it was hard to beat $1 pint drafts. Some gangbangers started to hang out there in its last couple years, but I never had a problem there, and closed the played fairly regularly in the summer. A Connie's delivery guy would often bring in a pizza after his shift. Unbelievably, bluesman Linsey Alexander would play Catchers regularly and there wouldn't even be a cover charge.

Now I park for free on Halsted south of 36th where there are no meters. It's a bit of a walk, but I refuse to pay for parking.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:29 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Yes, and some do, but there are other staff members that park all over the place for games and are starting to cause a huge problem for residents.

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I see game day staff parking by us and walking to the park. People are really starting to get tired of the whole thing around here.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:03 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundind1 View Post
Yes, and some do, but there are other staff members that park all over the place for games and are starting to cause a huge problem for residents.

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I see game day staff parking by us and walking to the park. People are really starting to get tired of the whole thing around here.
If there's a free lot for employees, why would some bother parking what I assume to be further away in the neighborhood?
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:04 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
If there's a free lot for employees, why would some bother parking what I assume to be further away in the neighborhood?
As mentioned earlier in the thread, the employee lot is not free, merely discounted.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:00 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
As mentioned earlier in the thread, the employee lot is not free, merely discounted.
Wasn't sure it still was paid, as you said it was ~15 years ago. That really blows, they should offer free parking at least.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:54 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

If the staff is parking in the neighborhood, they must have a paper parking pass for their car window. The only way to acquire a pass is to get it from a resident in the neighborhood. If people in your neighborhood are getting tired of it, advise them not to sell or give out their passes that they get at the alderman's office.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:03 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedema View Post
If the staff is parking in the neighborhood, they must have a paper parking pass for their car window. The only way to acquire a pass is to get it from a resident in the neighborhood. If people in your neighborhood are getting tired of it, advise them not to sell or give out their passes that they get at the alderman's office.
I am not going to speculate on how the people are getting them, just that all game day staff should be parking in the lots. There is plenty of lot space for everyone these days.

As for advising to not sell, no one would own up to it because it is a $500 fine each offense. They did crack down on that practice a few years ago too.

I can honestly tell you that this has only become an issue the last few years. The combination of incredibly high parking rates and game day staff have turned parking in parts of bridgeport into parking in wrigleyville. That is why we came here, to get away from that issue.

When I worked in sports, we made sure to have enough spots dedicated to game day staff and offered train and bus fare incentives for our employees as well.

Sorry to hear the sox make their employees pay to park in the lots, that should be a given benefit.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:39 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I am not going to speculate on how the people are getting them, just that all game day staff should be parking in the lots. There is plenty of lot space for everyone these days.

As for advising to not sell, no one would own up to it because it is a $500 fine each offense. They did crack down on that practice a few years ago too.

I can honestly tell you that this has only become an issue the last few years. The combination of incredibly high parking rates and game day staff have turned parking in parts of bridgeport into parking in wrigleyville. That is why we came here, to get away from that issue.

When I worked in sports, we made sure to have enough spots dedicated to game day staff and offered train and bus fare incentives for our employees as well.

Sorry to hear the sox make their employees pay to park in the lots, that should be a given benefit.
This sounds like it should be a no-brainer to me. Should be...?
Old 08-18-2013, 10:45 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
I don't know, I can think of plenty of places where you have to pay for parking, hell, when I worked in Peoria to park in the county garage it was like $20 a month; all that land to park cars isn't free.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I don't know, I can think of plenty of places where you have to pay for parking, hell, when I worked in Peoria to park in the county garage it was like $20 a month; all that land to park cars isn't free.
If anything there should be a benefit to pay for the parking/transit before taxes. From the surface it sounds like the Sox being greedy, but my company (and I'd assume most others) doesn't pay for me to get to work each day. What they do offer is to have my parking or transit costs paid for out of my check each week before taxes so that I'd end up saving a few hundred dollars a year.

Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
Old 08-18-2013, 11:04 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Makes sense to me. You wanted to get away from the congestion of living in the same neighborhood as a major league ballpark. You made a wise choice. Of all the other neighborhoods to move to in Chicago, you did well. You picked the other neighborhood with a major league ballpark. Kudos.
Guess what? They have lights and night games in Bridgeport, too.

2014 Attendance Record: 3-3, 0.500