White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 08-16-2013, 02:11 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,903
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
There isn't a lot for employees?

Sure there is, that will be $20, please.
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-16-2013, 08:41 AM
salty99 salty99 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
There isn't a lot for employees?
I've seen employees park in Lot G for years including this year.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-16-2013, 09:59 AM
bunkaroo bunkaroo is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty99 View Post
I've seen employees park in Lot G for years including this year.
A-ha - this explains it!

I always park in lot G since it's easy to get out. I noticed this year, instead of parking people close to 35th st, all those spots seem to be taken even 1.5 hours before the game, and it's not tailgaters. So the paying customer is parked as far down as the 33rd St. side of the lot. That's happened every game I've been to this season when I've parked there.

Yet another indicator the employees don't seem to give a **** this year, or give a **** even less than usual.
__________________
2014 Attendance Record: 1-2 - 3/31 (W), 4/12 (L), 6/14 (L)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-16-2013, 12:33 PM
Milw Milw is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Naperville
Posts: 926
Default

When I was a lowly gift shop employee back in the late 90s, we were allowed to park in Lot G for a reduced rate (I believe it was like $7 when regular parking was maybe $12?). I'd be surprised to hear that's not still the case. Although making your employees pay to park at all is pretty ridiculous, especially when you consider that I was only making $7.50/hr.

Oh, White Sox. How I loathe to love you.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-16-2013, 10:38 PM
BainesHOF BainesHOF is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oak Park, IL
Posts: 2,884
Default

I was sorry to see Catchers close. That was my pregame and postgame stop for a number of years. You could always find parking there and it was hard to beat $1 pint drafts. Some gangbangers started to hang out there in its last couple years, but I never had a problem there, and closed the played fairly regularly in the summer. A Connie's delivery guy would often bring in a pizza after his shift. Unbelievably, bluesman Linsey Alexander would play Catchers regularly and there wouldn't even be a cover charge.

Now I park for free on Halsted south of 36th where there are no meters. It's a bit of a walk, but I refuse to pay for parking.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-18-2013, 07:29 AM
Lundind1 Lundind1 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago IL, Bridgeport
Posts: 787
Blog Entries: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
There isn't a lot for employees?
Yes, and some do, but there are other staff members that park all over the place for games and are starting to cause a huge problem for residents.

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I see game day staff parking by us and walking to the park. People are really starting to get tired of the whole thing around here.
__________________
www.twitter.com/sportsfinance
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-18-2013, 12:03 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundind1 View Post
Yes, and some do, but there are other staff members that park all over the place for games and are starting to cause a huge problem for residents.

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I see game day staff parking by us and walking to the park. People are really starting to get tired of the whole thing around here.
If there's a free lot for employees, why would some bother parking what I assume to be further away in the neighborhood?
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Milw Milw is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Naperville
Posts: 926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
If there's a free lot for employees, why would some bother parking what I assume to be further away in the neighborhood?
As mentioned earlier in the thread, the employee lot is not free, merely discounted.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-18-2013, 02:00 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
As mentioned earlier in the thread, the employee lot is not free, merely discounted.
Wasn't sure it still was paid, as you said it was ~15 years ago. That really blows, they should offer free parking at least.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-18-2013, 07:54 PM
Wedema Wedema is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hammond, IN
Posts: 595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundind1 View Post
Yes, and some do, but there are other staff members that park all over the place for games and are starting to cause a huge problem for residents.

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I see game day staff parking by us and walking to the park. People are really starting to get tired of the whole thing around here.

If the staff is parking in the neighborhood, they must have a paper parking pass for their car window. The only way to acquire a pass is to get it from a resident in the neighborhood. If people in your neighborhood are getting tired of it, advise them not to sell or give out their passes that they get at the alderman's office.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-18-2013, 09:03 PM
Lundind1 Lundind1 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago IL, Bridgeport
Posts: 787
Blog Entries: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedema View Post
If the staff is parking in the neighborhood, they must have a paper parking pass for their car window. The only way to acquire a pass is to get it from a resident in the neighborhood. If people in your neighborhood are getting tired of it, advise them not to sell or give out their passes that they get at the alderman's office.
I am not going to speculate on how the people are getting them, just that all game day staff should be parking in the lots. There is plenty of lot space for everyone these days.

As for advising to not sell, no one would own up to it because it is a $500 fine each offense. They did crack down on that practice a few years ago too.

I can honestly tell you that this has only become an issue the last few years. The combination of incredibly high parking rates and game day staff have turned parking in parts of bridgeport into parking in wrigleyville. That is why we came here, to get away from that issue.

When I worked in sports, we made sure to have enough spots dedicated to game day staff and offered train and bus fare incentives for our employees as well.

Sorry to hear the sox make their employees pay to park in the lots, that should be a given benefit.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-18-2013, 10:39 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundind1 View Post
I am not going to speculate on how the people are getting them, just that all game day staff should be parking in the lots. There is plenty of lot space for everyone these days.

As for advising to not sell, no one would own up to it because it is a $500 fine each offense. They did crack down on that practice a few years ago too.

I can honestly tell you that this has only become an issue the last few years. The combination of incredibly high parking rates and game day staff have turned parking in parts of bridgeport into parking in wrigleyville. That is why we came here, to get away from that issue.

When I worked in sports, we made sure to have enough spots dedicated to game day staff and offered train and bus fare incentives for our employees as well.

Sorry to hear the sox make their employees pay to park in the lots, that should be a given benefit.
This sounds like it should be a no-brainer to me. Should be...?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-18-2013, 10:45 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,903
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
This sounds like it should be a no-brainer to me. Should be...?
I don't know, I can think of plenty of places where you have to pay for parking, hell, when I worked in Peoria to park in the county garage it was like $20 a month; all that land to park cars isn't free.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-18-2013, 10:52 PM
Marqhead's Avatar
Marqhead Marqhead is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In the Shadow of the Sears Tower
Posts: 8,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
This sounds like it should be a no-brainer to me. Should be...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I don't know, I can think of plenty of places where you have to pay for parking, hell, when I worked in Peoria to park in the county garage it was like $20 a month; all that land to park cars isn't free.
If anything there should be a benefit to pay for the parking/transit before taxes. From the surface it sounds like the Sox being greedy, but my company (and I'd assume most others) doesn't pay for me to get to work each day. What they do offer is to have my parking or transit costs paid for out of my check each week before taxes so that I'd end up saving a few hundred dollars a year.
__________________


Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-18-2013, 11:04 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29,266
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundind1 View Post
I can honestly tell you that this has only become an issue the last few years. The combination of incredibly high parking rates and game day staff have turned parking in parts of bridgeport into parking in wrigleyville. That is why we came here, to get away from that issue.
Makes sense to me. You wanted to get away from the congestion of living in the same neighborhood as a major league ballpark. You made a wise choice. Of all the other neighborhoods to move to in Chicago, you did well. You picked the other neighborhood with a major league ballpark. Kudos.
Guess what? They have lights and night games in Bridgeport, too.
__________________


2014 Attendance Record: 3-3, 0.500
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.