White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 12:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I admit I haven't followed the team that closely this year. Dunn really was trying to not walk as much early in the season? Whose brilliant idea was that? If the team tried to change him... ugh...
He wasn't "not trying to walk." He changed his approach to be more aggressive early in the count because he's losing bat speed and his ability to fight off pitches with 2 strikes has diminished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 08-17-2013, 08:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

Sox need to unload Dunn pronto.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Sox need to unload Dunn pronto.
I'd think if they found anyone to take him, they'd drive him to the airport.

He's got the ugly combination of huge contract and poor play.

Either cut him and eat the cash (yeah right, this is Jerry we're talking about) or suck it up and deal him at next years deadline when he only has a few months left on his contract.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:01 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Foxtrot View Post
I haven't seen many games lately. Can somebody tell me what changes Dunn has made at the plate?
The change seems to be a focus on going the other way to hit the ball into the open areas in the defensive shift. He's especially been focused on it with guys on base and in situations when the Sox have needed runners on base (i.e. when the Sox are behind by a pile and a HR won't tie the score).

I wouldn't call his approach slap hitting, but it is, perhaps, a more balanced approach.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:14 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
I'd think if they found anyone to take him, they'd drive him to the airport.

He's got the ugly combination of huge contract and poor play.

Either cut him and eat the cash (yeah right, this is Jerry we're talking about) or suck it up and deal him at next years deadline when he only has a few months left on his contract.
Cutting him makes ZERO sense. Very hard to take you seriously when you suggest it as a viable option.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-17-2013, 11:40 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
What is this? I just see numbers with no reference.

I need to know what chart has an 8-time all-star, 7-time home run leader, and career .940 OPS Ralph Kiner in the same discussion as Adam Dunn.

4 time strikeout leader.
Lowest single season batting average since 1909.
Most errors of any left fielder through 2011.
2 All-stars, 0 playoff appearances. 0 titles.
Let go from Cincinnati because he can't play defense.

If you want to be rational and say "Adam Dunn is a top 12 1Bman right now even with his poor defense", fine. I don't want to hear "Frank Thomas, Miguel Cabrera, Gehrig".

He's on pace for 37 Hr and 85 RBI. People are excited by his hot streak. He's signed through next season, trade him at the deadline if he continues to hit the ball. Don't wait around for another 2011 season.
I think the similar batters come mostly from counting stats and slash line.

Kiner's 10 year career line is .279/.398/.548 with 971 Runs, 369 HRs, 1015 RBI
Dunn's first 10 years line is .250/.381/.521 with 865 Runs, 354 HRs, 990 RBI

I don't think it takes league averages into account, since Kiner's OPS+ and especially oWAR dwarf Dunn's by quite a bit. Of course if Dunn hit .250/.381/.521 over his time here we'd have a division title last season, and maybe even something to show for 2011, but the White Sox version of Dunn has sucked until about May 14th of this year.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:42 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 14h

Adam Dunn has adjusted and teams have stopped using shift against him. With spray charts from http://texasleaguers.com http://bit.ly/1dfcydl

Chris Rongey ‏@ChrisRongey 14 Aug

This guy calls the postgame show. RT @Deadspin: Behold, the ultimate White Sox fan: http://deadsp.in/zaTZQMz

<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 08-17-2013, 05:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISoxfan View Post
I think the similar batters come mostly from counting stats and slash line.

Kiner's 10 year career line is .279/.398/.548 with 971 Runs, 369 HRs, 1015 RBI
Dunn's first 10 years line is .250/.381/.521 with 865 Runs, 354 HRs, 990 RBI

I don't think it takes league averages into account, since Kiner's OPS+ and especially oWAR dwarf Dunn's by quite a bit. Of course if Dunn hit .250/.381/.521 over his time here we'd have a division title last season, and maybe even something to show for 2011, but the White Sox version of Dunn has sucked until about May 14th of this year.
I took a look at it. The stats are similar for guys like reggie jackson, canseco, greg vaughn, burnitz, and killebrew. Killebrew and Jackson are different eras though. I see Dunn as he is, 12th-16th value 1bman in this league. A guy with a serious risk element to his game when slumping. Not something to reinvest in if he can't hit at DH. They don't have to dump him, but no need to hold on to the dream that he's going to deliver that .260+ avg. .400+ Obp. 1.000+ ops season people are waiting for.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Cutting him makes ZERO sense. Very hard to take you seriously when you suggest it as a viable option.
Cut your most productive hitter. It just might work.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Cut your most productive hitter. It just might work.
Not cut him, trade him to unload salary. He's been hot enough that some team will bite.

Now that the rebuild had begun, he doesn't belong.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Not cut him, trade him to unload salary. He's been hot enough that some team will bite.

Now that the rebuild had begun, he doesn't belong.
I don't mind that, but the suggestion to cut him has no grounding in ANY serious baseball discussion. It's a purely emotional reaction.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:07 PM

Oh and... .826...

At this rate he might hit .900 by season's end. That would be incredible after the horrific start he had.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:15 PM
WSI Personality

I would like to think that if somebody had wanted Dunn, he would be gone by now. Then again did anybody think that both Casper Wells AND Tyler Greene would be picked up by other teams? I realize that both of those guys are making alot less money than Dunn, but I didn't think any team would want anything to do with either Wells or Greene.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Hes cleared waviers and has not be taken, so 29 teams dont think he is worth his salary for the rest of this year and next. People can throw out all the stats they want on the guy but hes not worth his salary.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 14h

Adam Dunn has adjusted and teams have stopped using shift against him. With spray charts from http://texasleaguers.com http://bit.ly/1dfcydl

Quote:
Oh and... .826...

At this rate he might hit .900 by season's end. That would be incredible after the horrific start he had.
This is from the referenced article:

"From June 8 to Aug. 15, Dunn had a .309/.416/.549 slash line with 14 home runs and 40 RBIs. He has walked 38 times and struck out only 58 over the 10-week period, an average of one whiff every 4.22 plate appearances. His batting average on balls in play has also soared from .162 in the first part of the season to .366."

If he keeps this new approach going and finishes the year strong I can see the Sox holding on to him for next year. And if he performs as well next year they might actually get something decent for him at the break next year.