White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 01:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
From the wires:

CBS Sports' Danny Knobler reports that Ryne Sandberg will replace Charlie Manuel as the Phillies' manager.

It's the logical move, as Sandberg managed the Phillies' Triple-A affiliate from 2011-12 before taking over as the third base coach for the big league club this season.

Now this is how you hire a manager - seasoned, progressed through the system. Not by picking a name out of a hat of fan favorites who never coached.
The better way to do it is to steal a guy like Maddon from TB. That worked very well with a guy named Al Lopez when we stole him from the Indians in 1957.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-16-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I would bet my life savings that managers who have experience as Sandberg does have fared better over time than those with none, just like in the rest of the working world. I'd love to get an interview with your company, please.
It's baseball, not real life. There are hundreds of thousands of people who could manage a baseball team based on moves that are considered "the book". The other stuff where your precious "experience" is required is knowing how to handle people and the ins and outs of a major league baseball clubhouse, for which Ventura's 15 year playing career, and history of a team leader make him quite qualified.

I do agree though, Mike Matheny needs to be replaced by Dave Martinez. They shouldn't even interview him. Just give him the job. He stands next to Joe Maddon every game, that should be good enough to figure he will be a great manager.

The Sox aren't in last place because of the manager.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:02 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I would bet my life savings that managers who have experience as Sandberg does have fared better over time than those with none, just like in the rest of the working world. I'd love to get an interview with your company, please.
I understand and agree with your comparison to the business world. I also know that even with experience, some people make great number 2's but then fail as a number 1. We hear the term that a person was over=promoted.
But sports does not always follow that. Besides Robin who I think will go ( or at least Manto), Jason Kidd is another one who went directly from player to coach. Mark Jackson also went from TV to coaching. Strange but maybe the transition in Sports is easier. But I agree that guys with little or no experience have probably had a poor success rate
Old 08-16-2013, 02:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
It's baseball, not real life. There are hundreds of thousands of people who could manage a baseball team based on moves that are considered "the book". The other stuff where your precious "experience" is required is knowing how to handle people and the ins and outs of a major league baseball clubhouse, for which Ventura's 15 year playing career, and history of a team leader make him quite qualified.

I do agree though, Mike Matheny needs to be replaced by Dave Martinez. They shouldn't even interview him. Just give him the job. He stands next to Joe Maddon every game, that should be good enough to figure he will be a great manager.

The Sox aren't in last place because of the manager.
Man, your post is all over the place, hinging your POV on a number of examples I can count on one hand, saying that jobs in sports (or at least baseball) are nothing like real life (a manager of people is a manager of people), and then saying I'm implying the Sox are in last place because of the manager.

But go ahead and pile on! My precious "experience"....ha!

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-16-2013, 02:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Man, your post is all over the place, hinging your POV on a number of examples I can count on one hand, saying that jobs in sports (or at least baseball) are nothing like real life (a manager of people is a manager of people), and then saying I'm implying the Sox are in last place because of the manager.

But go ahead and pile on! My precious "experience"....ha!
Tony LaRussa had about 1/2 a season as a major league coach and about 1 year as a minor league manager when he became a manager. Comparing being a MLB manager with a job in the regular world doesn't make sense. The Sox hired guys who had "paid their dues". People with zero experience said all their moves were incorrect as well. It's great to use as an excuse when you want to complain about Ventura, but chances are, whoever the manager is, people aren't going to like them either. Ozzie had plenty of critics, Manuel had plenty of critics, Bevington had critics, so did Lamont and Torborg and Fregosi and LaRussa, and Kessinger and Doby and Lemon and Richards and Tanner etc.

Again, I am assuming you have less experience than Ventura. If it is so vital, how are you able to tell what he is doing is wrong? If his lack of experience makes him dumb, and not understand the game, what does it say about all of us on this website?
Old 08-16-2013, 02:17 PM
WSI Prelate

I'll credit Manto with at least one thing: Beckham and maybe even Rios.
And have we seen any hitter in these parts improve much over the past 5 years?
Old 08-16-2013, 02:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I'll credit Manto with at least one thing: Beckham and maybe even Rios.
And have we seen any hitter in these parts improve much over the past 5 years?
I still maintain the problem isn't the hitting coach over the years, even when Walker was here. If it was, guys would leave, work with another hitting coach and be successful. The only guy who really did that was Nick Swisher, and one of the reasons the Sox got rid of him was because he didn't work with the hitting coach when he was struggling.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Tony LaRussa had about 1/2 a season as a major league coach and about 1 year as a minor league manager when he became a manager.
1/2 season + 1 season >>>> zero-point-zero seasons.

Quote:
Again, I am assuming you have less experience than Ventura. If it is so vital, how are you able to tell what he is doing is wrong? If his lack of experience makes him dumb, and not understand the game, what does it say about all of us on this website?
One of my favorite lines of argument - those who have never played shouldn't be able to comment. We comment because we enjoy the sport and are fans - I don't think many of us think we can manage a game or a team (some do, but they're deluded). For MLB managers, it's a job. For us, it's entertainment.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
1/2 season + 1 season >>>> zero-point-zero seasons.

One of my favorite lines of argument - those who have never played shouldn't be able to comment. We comment because we enjoy the sport and are fans - I don't think many of us think we can manage a game or a team (some do, but they're deluded). For MLB managers, it's a job. For us, it's entertainment.
If experience is required and you have none, your opinion, using your own criteria, is uninformed. You obviously cannot know what you are talking about. If Robin's "inexperience" causes him to make stupid decisions, how do the rest of us with zero experience even know his decisions are incorrect? How come playing for 15 years in the major leagues and being a team leader for the vast majority of those seasons, counts as zero experience anyways?

Besides, he now has almost 2 years of managerial experience. The lack of experience argument needs to go away.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:58 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythons007 View Post
Royce Clayton as head coach Carl Everett as hitting coach Jamie Navarro as pitching coach and Jose Valentin as bench coach.

Jose can also be the fileding coach..!!