White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 08:47 AM
WSI Regular

I'll be honest- I would like the Sox to consider hiring Ryne Sandberg, and think they should have done it two years ago when he got jilted by the Cubs.

He has paid the dues that Robin never did in the minors (and has had success coaching in both the Cubs and Phillies organizations.)

I think his record shows he's going to be good, and I think he has a chip on his shoulder towards the Cubs and will want to stick it to them any way he possibly can- to me that's a pretty good set of traits for the White Sox manager to have.

That being said I think there's a good chance Charlie Manuel leaves after this year and he gets the Phillies job.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:49 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
I'll be honest- I would like the Sox to consider hiring Ryne Sandberg, and think they should have done it two years ago when he got jilted by the Cubs.

He has paid the dues that Robin never did in the minors (and has had success coaching in both the Cubs and Phillies organizations.)

I think his record shows he's going to be good, and I think he has a chip on his shoulder towards the Cubs and will want to stick it to them any way he possibly can- to me that's a pretty good set of traits for the White Sox manager to have.

That being said I think there's a good chance Charlie Manuel leaves after this year and he gets the Phillies job.
Sandberg would be my 2nd choice behind Dave Martinez. I'm totally shocked that these 2 men aren't Mgrs by now.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Remember him doing some television broadcasting?
Oh my gosh.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:13 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

I would've been ok to hiring him because he paid his dues in the minors and had success. If I'm worried about sticking it up to the Cubs, I would hire their former mascot Kerry Wood. I don't really care about the Cubs. I only care about the White Sox winning.

I also think Manuel will be stepping down soon, and Sandberg will be in line to replace him.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Location: Yes in Ranhco Sahuarita, AZ...(WAS near the home of White Sox spring training baseball)
Agree

The Milkman!!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:51 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
I don't put ANY stock in the "why didn't somebody hire him sooner" argument after what Thibs has done with the Bulls.
I was about to post the same. Like Martinez, Thibs had a great rep around the league and was a hot coaching candidate. Like Martinez, no one hired him when he first threw his hat in the ring (the Bulls, in their infinite wisdom, wanted both VDN and Collins ahead of Thibs).

I don't think Martinez will ever be as good a manager as Thibs is a coach, but there are some interesting parallels there.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:07 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
I was about to post the same. Like Martinez, Thibs had a great rep around the league and was a hot coaching candidate. Like Martinez, no one hired him when he first threw his hat in the ring (the Bulls, in their infinite wisdom, wanted both VDN and Collins ahead of Thibs).

I don't think Martinez will ever be as good a manager as Thibs is a coach, but there are some interesting parallels there.
Maybe Martinez will have Sale throw 150 pitches a game and play all the regular starting lineup 160 games too.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

All joking aside, whenever AJ is ready to manage hire him. He would be a great manager IMO.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Royce Clayton as head coach Carl Everett as hitting coach Jamie Navarro as pitching coach and Jose Valentin as bench coach.

YOUR 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
Old 08-11-2013, 10:06 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythons007 View Post
Royce Clayton as head coach Carl Everett as hitting coach Jamie Navarro as pitching coach and Jose Valentin as bench coach.
What a clubhouse that would be.

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Old 08-16-2013, 01:15 PM
WSI Prelate

From the wires:

CBS Sports' Danny Knobler reports that Ryne Sandberg will replace Charlie Manuel as the Phillies' manager.

It's the logical move, as Sandberg managed the Phillies' Triple-A affiliate from 2011-12 before taking over as the third base coach for the big league club this season.

Now this is how you hire a manager - seasoned, progressed through the system. Not by picking a name out of a hat of fan favorites who never coached.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-16-2013, 01:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Meh

With all that experience, would he have the wisdom to sacrifice bunt in the 9th with 2 on, down 2, to get the bat in the hands of Danks the younger?
Old 08-16-2013, 01:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
From the wires:

CBS Sports' Danny Knobler reports that Ryne Sandberg will replace Charlie Manuel as the Phillies' manager.

It's the logical move, as Sandberg managed the Phillies' Triple-A affiliate from 2011-12 before taking over as the third base coach for the big league club this season.

Now this is how you hire a manager - seasoned, progressed through the system. Not by picking a name out of a hat of fan favorites who never coached.
The Sox did it the way you like. Terry Bevington was a fine manager.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Meh

With all that experience, would he have the wisdom to sacrifice bunt in the 9th with 2 on, down 2, to get the bat in the hands of Danks the younger?
Considering you don't have any experience, I don't see how you could judge. Apparently, without any managerial experience people know nothing about baseball.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
The Sox did it the way you like. Terry Bevington was a fine manager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Considering you don't have any experience, I don't see how you could judge. Apparently, without any managerial experience people know nothing about baseball.
I would bet my life savings that managers who have experience as Sandberg does have fared better over time than those with none, just like in the rest of the working world. I'd love to get an interview with your company, please.