Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 12:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
If they're willing to eat money, Keppinger has to be DFA'd. I never use the word "unacceptable," but his play really is. He's one of the worst baseball players I've ever seen. He does nothing well. Nothing.
Everything he's done this year is in line with his career averages, except batting average, which fits in real nice with the rest of our team. What are you expecting? Triple Crown?

Plus he had a broken leg in the offseason.

We're only paying him $3.5M too, this isn't like Dunn taking up $15M of the payroll.

BTW - Keppinger can fill a lot of different roles. If he bounces back next year, I'm not averse to having him fill an infield spot for $4M. For reference, Alexei is due to be paid $9.5M next season...

We have bigger fish to fry than Keppinger.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
I count 5: Danks, Dunn, Ramirez, Keppinger, and Sale.
Forgot about Keppinger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 08-14-2013, 12:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Everything he's done this year is in line with his career averages, except batting average, which fits in real nice with the rest of our team.

Plus he had a broken leg in the offseason.

We're only paying him $3.5M too, this isn't like Dunn taking up $15M of the payroll.

BTW - Keppinger can fill a lot of different roles. If he bounces back next year, I'm not averse to having him fill an infield spot for $4M.

We have bigger fish to fry than Keppinger.
In 369 plate appearances he has 11 extra base hits. 11! He's absolutely awful defensively. According to WAR, he's the worst player in baseball. I'll take Dunn's productive 15mm every day, all day over Keppinger.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
Glad somebody said this. The guy hasn't had a day off in forever. He's probably mentally shot. And yet, despite a rise in errors, he's still making plays not many other SS can, and hitting at a good clip. This is absolutely not a guy you just get rid of. Man, Sox fans this year are nuts.

Correct. Alexei is 2nd in the league in hits since June 7th. He is having his best year at the plate,even tho his homers are down.

He has been among the best SS's defensively,in the league over the last few years....that skill will return...this year is an aberration.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
You say he's speaking to the "meatballs" in the fan base then, in the same post, say this team needs intangibles and take a wild guess at who he's talking about. You can't make this **** up. Haha.
haha, I never claimed to be the smartest guy in the room, I just act like it.

Honestly, I mean I get his speech. Its the whole "CHICAGO TOUGH GRINDER THIS EFFORT DOES NOT FLY CHANGES ARE COMING HOORAH YAY" mentality. We have a lot of fans that need that said to keep interest. I think the delivery was my issue, not the mentality.

That said, I do think there is a noticeable lack of effort by some guys.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

"Marcus Semien was named the Southern League Topps Player of the Month for July after batting .372 with eight home runs and 20 RBIs for Double-A Birmingham. Semien, 22, led the Southern League in batting average, runs (28), walks (29), hits (35), extra-base hits (18), total bases (70), on-base percentage (.524), slugging percentage (.745) and OPS (1.269) in the month."

Holy crap...I know people will probably say it would be rushing him, but I say strike while the iron's hot. If 35 hits and 29 walks along with eight homeruns in a single month to go along with a hole in the Sox infield doesn't say "call me up" I don't know what does.

Anyone know anything about his defensive abilities? From what I've read, "competent" seems to be the general description.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
In 369 plate appearances he has 11 extra base hits. 11! He's absolutely awful defensively. According to WAR, he's the worst player in baseball. I'll take Dunn's productive 15mm every day, all day over Keppinger.
Excellent point. Wouldn't expect any of the board's Dunn bashers to think about it!

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-16-2013, 08:35 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Most people still don't want to sit in the upper deck. Other teams with that same issue have simply lowered the ticket prices in the upper deck. The Tampa Bay Rays charge $12 for any seat in the upper deck. Wouldn't it make more sense for the White Sox to charge $12 for every seat in the upper deck at the Cell? Having one set cheap price in the upper deck would be a good PR move for the White Sox. It would also attract more fans to the games. The more fans at the games usually means more money spent on concessions and parking.
I will NEVER, EVER sit in the upperdeck again unless the ballpark is so jammed that I have no choice but to.

Upperdeck tickets are already dirt cheap and are usually given away for free (as was the case with my tickets this past Saturday after buying a set of new car tires). The upperdeck is as bad as Wrigely's bleachers. Fraternities, family reunions -- large groups of people there to drink and socialize without having any interest in the game, win or lose.

All because those people either got those tickets for cheap or for nothing.

No thank you.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:44 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Most people still don't want to sit in the upper deck. Other teams with that same issue have simply lowered the ticket prices in the upper deck. The Tampa Bay Rays charge $12 for any seat in the upper deck. Wouldn't it make more sense for the White Sox to charge $12 for every seat in the upper deck at the Cell? Having one set cheap price in the upper deck would be a good PR move for the White Sox. It would also attract more fans to the games. The more fans at the games usually means more money spent on concessions and parking.
Uh, the Sox have lowered ticket prices in the Upper Deck, depending the day of the week, UD tickets are priced anywhere from $5-$10 or $7-$16 with the exception of the very front rows of the Upper Box sections (which are good seats).

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 08-16-2013, 09:30 AM
New At WSI

The Sox need to concentrate on getting offensive players like Marcus Semien. He is showing power, patience and getting on base at over a .400 rate. Another guy who I would like to see get a shot next year is 1B Dan Black from Birmingham, I know he is 26, but he is a good hitter and gets on base very nicely. Semien could be like Beckham in his rookie year, start at 3B and maybe transition to a different position. But the offense needs to concentrate on guys that can get on base. I like Alexei, but he doesn't get on base enough, he is nothing more than a #6 or 7 hitter in a good lineup.

Also the Sox need to be in Jose Dariel Abreu, the 26 year old 1B from Cuba. His stats are borderline stupid. Bringing in a guy that may cost a good amount of money, but how often can you get a 26 year old power hitter without giving up any prospects.

I am also completely against signing guys like Ellsbury. He really depends on his legs to play his game and he is only getting older. The Sox need to stop giving guys in their 30's long term deals. Honestly with the free agent list at the moment, the only guy I really would want to sign is Eric O'Flaherty and he is coming off surgery. He would give the Sox a top flight lefty to go with the others.

The rotation and bullpen should be solid for a while. If I had my way, I hope for some guys to have really good years, but plan to use next season as a starting point and getting reads on certain players or showcasing some to trade at the deadline. My 25 as it stands right now would be this

C- Josh Phegley, Tyler Flowers
1B- Dan Black/Andy Wilkins, Adam Dunn
2B- Gordon Beckham
3B- Connor Gillaspie, Jeff Keppinger
SS- Alexei Ramirez
OF- Alejandro De Aza
OF- Avisail Garcia, Jordan Danks/Blake Tekotte
OF- Dayan Viciedo

SP- Chris Sale, John Danks, Jose Quintana, Hector Santiago, Andre Rienzo

BP- Addison Reed, Eric O'Flaherty, Matt Lindstrom, Nate Jones, Donnie Veal/Charlie Leesman, Jake Petricka, Daniel Webb

Then the top 5 guys who are basically or close to major league ready are Marcus Semien, Leury Garcia, Erik Johnson, Dan Black/Andy Wilkins and Carlos Sanchez.

I still believe with the Sox pitching all around and the money to spend on amatuer talent and free agents, the Sox can compete in just a few years.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:36 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by sager729 View Post
C- Josh Phegley, Tyler Flowers
1B- Dan Black/Andy Wilkins, Adam Dunn
2B- Gordon Beckham
3B- Connor Gillaspie, Jeff Keppinger
SS- Alexei Ramirez
OF- Alejandro De Aza
OF- Avisail Garcia, Jordan Danks/Blake Tekotte
OF- Dayan Viciedo
No offense, but oof... That team might not score 300 runs all season.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:51 AM
New At WSI

I never said it would be good, but the other alternative is going out and spending $15-20M on guys like Ellsbury, Choo, Pence and others and that doesn't get the Sox anywhere closer to winning a championship. To make that team even worse, with good first halves, guys like Dunn, Ramirez and Lindstrom would be trade bait. But it would be better for the long term flexibility of this team.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINMVP View Post
I will NEVER, EVER sit in the upperdeck again unless the ballpark is so jammed that I have no choice but to.

Upperdeck tickets are already dirt cheap and are usually given away for free (as was the case with my tickets this past Saturday after buying a set of new car tires). The upperdeck is as bad as Wrigely's bleachers. Fraternities, family reunions -- large groups of people there to drink and socialize without having any interest in the game, win or lose.

All because those people either got those tickets for cheap or for nothing.

No thank you.
IMO, some of the better seats in the park are behind home plate in the upper deck.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
IMO, some of the better seats in the park are behind home plate in the upper deck.
Yes.

If you want to see the whole action, the best seats are behind home plate in the UD. I never miss anything in those seats.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
Yes.

If you want to see the whole action, the best seats are behind home plate in the UD. I never miss anything in those seats.
You're spoiling it for me. Mum's the word.