White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 01:08 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
He strikes out once every 3.8 plate appearances against minor-league pitching.

Adam Dunn has struck out once every 3.5 plate appearances during his career, but at least that was against MLB pitching.

And Olt's career OBP is .374, not .390. These statistics are readily available and not hard to look up.
Just curious did he strikeout as often before the eye issues?

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
Just curious did he strikeout as often before the eye issues?
His K rate this season is 33%, about 27% on his career, so not a particularly large jump that could also be attributed to moving up a couple levels.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
He strikes out once every 3.8 plate appearances against minor-league pitching.

Adam Dunn has struck out once every 3.5 plate appearances during his career, but at least that was against MLB pitching.

And Olt's career OBP is .374, not .390. These statistics are readily available and not hard to look up.
I just gave you the last three years of his OBP before this season pal. Like I said if you would like to keep lumping in a season where he couldn't see to the rest of his career, feel free. I will not.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:28 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
I just gave you the last three years of his OBP before this season pal. Like I said if you would like to keep lumping in a season where he couldn't see to the rest of his career, feel free. I will not.
First off, I'm not your pal.

Secondly, Dunn's career OBP is .367. Everyone wants him gone for being an all-or-nothing hitter. Olt's OBP is .374. That doesn't mean he isn't all-or-nothing. His OBP is very similar to Dunn's.

At least Dunn's massive K totals are against legitimate MLB pitchers.

Olt is whiffing like a madman in the minors. I already cited the stat that proves it. I'm sorry if you can't read. He sucks. I don't want any more hitters like him in our system. I'd much rather hold on to Peavy than trade for a piece of crap like that.

Go ahead and keep believing the propaganda about the Cubs, though. They're great. Just ask them.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 07-27-2013, 11:44 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
The counter to this is that the majority of Olt's minor league playing time was in Frisco, in the notoriously hitter-friendly Texas League. His MILB career OBP at every level other than AA is in the .360s. Not bad, but far from elite status.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 07-28-2013, 12:31 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
He was a top prospect last year at this time, but he suffered a bad injury and hasn't really recovered. You've got to discount him from last year when evaluating the package.
And high K totals in the minors often portend problems hitting ML pitching.
I don't want any part of Middlebrooks for that reason.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Secondly, Dunn's career OBP is .367. Everyone wants him gone for being an all-or-nothing hitter. Olt's OBP is .374. That doesn't mean he isn't all-or-nothing. His OBP is very similar to Dunn's.

Olt is whiffing like a madman in the minors. I already cited the stat that proves it. I'm sorry if you can't read. He sucks. I don't want any more hitters like him in our system. I'd much rather hold on to Peavy than trade for a piece of crap like that.

Go ahead and keep believing the propaganda about the Cubs, though. They're great. Just ask them.
They are better than us record wise right now and have a brighter future.

As for mentioning Dunn's career OBP and saying people here want him gone. That is just asinine. His OBP as a member of the White Sox has been .292 .333 and .319. Lol what a silly thing to say. These numbers aren't hard to look up.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The counter to this is that the majority of Olt's minor league playing time was in Frisco, in the notoriously hitter-friendly Texas League. His MILB career OBP at every level other than AA is in the .360s. Not bad, but far from elite status.
That is an actual fair point to make.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
You conveniently ignored this part: "At one point, Randy Johnson and Greg Maddux were second year pros who had never pitched above A-ball."

I can easily turn that into "any prospect can turn into a hall of fame pitcher."
Sigh...

That's not logical, because my claim was "it doesn't mean anything". "Randy Johnson and Greg Maddux were 2nd year pros..." was only the support to that claim that it doesn't mean anything. It only shows that a 2d year A ball player can range from a player who never makes it past A ball to a hall of fame player, therefore "it doesn't mean anything" that a prospect is a 2d year player in A ball when evaluating a prospect.

You can't logically say that because I used that example to disprove the claim that it does mean something that you can easily turn that into any prospect can turn into a hall of fame pitcher. That's just ludicrously fallacious reasoning, no offense.

Last edited by TheVulture; 07-31-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:09 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
They are better than us record wise right now and have a brighter future.

As for mentioning Dunn's career OBP and saying people here want him gone. That is just asinine. His OBP as a member of the White Sox has been .292 .333 and .319. Lol what a silly thing to say. These numbers aren't hard to look up.
Your guy Olt is 4-for-41 with 14Ks in his first 10 games with Iowa. If this player had been acquired by the White Sox for Peavy, there would be riots in the streets.

On the bright side, Olt has walked twice, so his OBP is all the way up to .146 now.

I stand by everything I said. We have enough hitters like Olt in our organization. I'm glad he's a Cubbie and not a White Sox.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:09 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

LOL! I'm loving this discussion and the posters involved, as per usual.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello

Last edited by DrCrawdad; 08-05-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Your guy Olt is 4-for-41 with 14Ks in his first 10 games with Iowa. If this player had been acquired by the White Sox for Peavy, there would be riots in the streets.
Now down to .133 in 20 games but his OBP has soared to .188

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 08-15-2013, 12:40 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Now down to .133 in 20 games but his OBP has soared to .188
Yeah, the dude is a reclamation project. Maybe he bounces back next year. Maybe. I just can't for the life of me understand why anyone would think Olt is part of a "great haul" the Cubs supposedly got for Garza. He's a soon-to-be-25-year-old who is really struggling at AAA.

The Cubs need that Edwards kid to work out to make the deal worthwhile, IMO.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:55 PM
WSI Regular

Typical. Throughout my life (55 yrs) I've seen the cubs trade prime players for washouts and "prospects". Usually, the prospects win a world series with another club. Oh well, last year Theo stated that the cubs should be competitive in 2015.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

lol if Olt does this next year, you can run me into the ground. Fun with sample sizes!