White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 05:24 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
It's not at all fair to say that Kenny is fully responsible for the mess this year. Hahn was in charge this offseason and decided to bring back the exact same club that choked away a division title, largely because they couldn't hit. He didn't address it. Both of them get the blame.
The Sox finished 4th in the AL in runs scored last year so saying they "couldn't hit" is a bit oversimplistic, their pitching also fell apart in the last month of the season, hell, I think even Chris Sale had a miserable September.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The Sox finished 4th in the AL in runs scored last year so saying they "couldn't hit" is a bit oversimplistic, their pitching also fell apart in the last month of the season, hell, I think even Chris Sale had a miserable September.
He let last year's best hitter walk and replaced him with a black hole, setup our defense for disaster by throwing Keppinger out there, and did nothing with left field instead banking on improvement from one of the worst overall everyday players in the league last year (who, surprise to no one, is just as bad if not worse this year).

He's not to blame for the state of the organization as a whole, and he's made some decent deadline moves, but let's not act like he's not 100% to blame for us being THIS bad. He made some really ****ty calls that sunk our season as early as the Marlins. You don't "luck" into being this bad. It takes effort.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
He let last year's best hitter walk and replaced him with a black hole, setup our defense for disaster by throwing Keppinger out there, and did nothing with left field instead banking on improvement from one of the worst overall everyday players in the league last year (who, surprise to no one, is just as bad if not worse this year).

He's not to blame for the state of the organization as a whole, and he's made some decent deadline moves, but let's not act like he's not 100% to blame for us being THIS bad. He made some really ****ty calls that sunk our season as early as the Marlins. You don't "luck" into being this bad. It takes effort.
Seriously? What exactly did you want him to do? You blame him for trotting out a crappy offense and simultaneously blame him for bringing in a .285 career contact hitter (Keppinger) which they badly needed. He has two measly errors this year. They had to stick with Viciedo and find out what they had there. He inherited no cash thanks to Rios and Dunn. He managed to re-sign Peavy which was brilliant - worst case they trade him for prospects, which is exactly what they did. I just don't see what Hahn could have done this season. If you want to blame someone for being historically bad, blame the manager for not having his team prepared, blame the old GM for horrid contracts. Don't think we can blame Hahn yet.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our 3-4-5 hitters. Or our closer.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our third baseman and our shortstop. Or our left fielder and our right fielder.

"I'm sorry people feel this way about our club. But I also want you to know something about that:

"We don't care."

-Kenny Williams before start of 2005 season
Old 08-14-2013, 07:03 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
He let last year's best hitter walk and replaced him with a black hole, setup our defense for disaster by throwing Keppinger out there,
Keppinger replaced Youk at 3rd. Youk had very limited range last year and ne made errors. Keppinger has very little range but has no errors playing 3rd base. I think offensively he is a disaster but compared to Youk not defensively. If they resigned Youk and he got hurt again as he did in NY, people would have called that a bad move.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:54 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Reinsdorf, Ventura, Bell, hell, even Merkin would be a better guy to consult on these issues.
You ever think that maybe Williams was talking to the same guy that you think Hahn should be talking to now?
Old 08-14-2013, 08:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

I think Hahn made the right moves. Last year was probably the last hurrah for a lot of guys on the team and I think that Hahn knew that and tried to run a holding pattern while preparing to get younger. I think that that was the right thing to do.

Go Sox!!!
Old 08-14-2013, 10:46 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge View Post
I know most fans will respond to this with negativity, but I think it's cool to know these guys care, they are human, they are doing what they think is right. We may not agree with every move, but they want success for this franchise as much as fans do.
they did what they thought was right, as an organization, and it has turned into not only a bad season, but a historically bad, one of the worst in a generation seasons... so is anyone held accountable? The Kenny/JR combo post 05' has not been able to figure it out..

they want success..don't we all.. Hell, it would be cool if Scarlett Johansson was hot for me, but I just don't have the goods to deliver what she wants...compared to what she can find
Old 08-14-2013, 10:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Kenny has been through a lot with his girlfriend and cancer. I'm sure he's had a really rough year with everything. He probably just misses his version of normalcy.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:59 AM
WSI High Priest

KW wants more "grind" on the Sox roster:
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...rts/708259805/