White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 12:21 PM
WSI Regular

I watched the Alvarez no-hitter from ICU at Childrens Memorial a couple weeks before I turned 13. Good Times
Next Games: 5/26 vs. CLE
Old 08-12-2013, 12:29 PM
WSI Regular

I still have my Jason Bere rookie card.

I was fascinated by his wicked curve.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

I have fond memories of Black Jack, Bere, Alvarez and Fernandez (although Fernandez always seemed like a guy that never lived up to his potential). Those were the early years of my Sox fandom. I can still remember watching the Alvarez no-no. That game and Bo Jackson's return to the field are two of my most vivid Sox memories from the early 90s.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
Then they lost 15 of the next 17 and were 9 games out by the end of August.

They were no-hit by Bret Saberhagen in KC on August 26th of that year. 1991 was a fun year to watch the Sox.

The '92 White Sox were a disappointment. They had added Steve Sax and George Bell that year and on paper looked better. In 1993 they put it together but got beat by the All-Star team Toronto had. '94 was the ultimate kick in the pants for us.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

I don't know why, but I loved me some James Baldwin.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeckAsInWreck View Post
They were no-hit by Bret Saberhagen in KC on August 26th of that year. 1991 was a fun year to watch the Sox.

The '92 White Sox were a disappointment. They had added Steve Sax and George Bell that year and on paper looked better. In 1993 they put it together but got beat by the All-Star team Toronto had. '94 was the ultimate kick in the pants for us.
People dislike Dunn, but for my money Steve Sax was one of the worst acquisitions ever. Right up there with David Wells.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:20 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwag View Post
Speed, pitching and defense was Torborg's mantra. It's still a winning formula today.
Lets not forget that Torborg had 2 winning seasons in Chicago. His other 9 years managing he had losing seasons and he finished his career with a .469 %. He was a losing manger except for us those 2 years. Not a inning formula for Torborg.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
People dislike Dunn, but for my money Steve Sax was one of the worst acquisitions ever. Right up there with David Wells.

All I gotta say is Jaime Navarro. Ron Schueler passed up Roger Clemens to get this guy.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Jack McDowell was one of my favorite Sox players ever. Jason Bere's stuff was electric before he got hurt. Roberto Hernandez and Scott Radinsky were a great bullpen combo. Although Cleveland was breathing down their necks at the time, I've always believed the Sox could have won the WS in 1994 if not for the strike.

By 1995, Cleveland was just too damn good!
Old 08-12-2013, 05:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
All I gotta say is Jaime Navarro. Ron Schueler passed up Roger Clemens to get this guy.
Navarro was horrible, but I still think Wells was the worst acquisition ever. Guy was terrible and didn't care. Navarro at least seemed to care. And at the time I would've passed on Clemens too. He was done. You had no idea he was going to go on to his freakish roid years.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post

I was 16 years old and convinced after the game the Sox were a team of destiny. A new park they were filling... Thomas having an MVP caliber season... Ventura hit a walk-off grand slam against the Rangers a week earlier and I had been at the game (best sporting event I have ever attended, including the black out game)... now you bring up a rookie who goes out and throws a no-hitter? No way this team doesn't win it all- it's a magical story.

Then they lost 15 of the next 17 and were 9 games out by the end of August.
I was at that game with the Ventura slam. From the upper deck on the 3rd base side. it looked ike a gapper for sure, but didn't drop
Old 08-13-2013, 09:00 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
I was at that game with the Ventura slam. From the upper deck on the 3rd base side. it looked ike a gapper for sure, but didn't drop
Frank's hoisting of Robin is a classic!
Old 08-13-2013, 11:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Was that the game they actually won 2-0?

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 08-13-2013, 03:50 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by white sox bill View Post
Was that the game they actually won 2-0?
No- I think you are thinking of the Andy Hawkins no-hitter* for the Yankees against the Sox in 1990.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...99007010.shtml

It was 0-0 in the bottom of the 8th, Sox had bases loaded with 2 outs after 2 walks and an error. Ventura hit a flyball to left field that got caught up in the wind a bit, and Jim Leyritz let it hit off his glove for a 3-base error that cleared the bases. Calderon was up next and the Yankees misplayed another fly ball, and the Sox won the game 4-0 without a hit. Probably the craziest game I have ever seen.

Also, Barry Jones was the winning pitcher for the Sox and was 10-1 out of the bullpen on July 1!

*Asterisk in that MLB changed the official definition of a no-hitter later so that a pitcher has to pitch a minimum of 9 IP in order to get credit. Hawkins only had 8 IP because the Sox were the home team. That rule also cost Melido Perez a 6 inning rain shortened no-hitter that the Sox won AGAINST Hawkins and the Yankees 2 weeks later in New York.

I still don't understand that rule... seems to me that the definition of a NO-HITTER should be that you have played an official game, and at the end of it the other team has NO HITS.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
Navarro was horrible, but I still think Wells was the worst acquisition ever. Guy was terrible and didn't care. Navarro at least seemed to care.
I completely disagree with you here. David Wells was coming off a 20 win season when he was acquired and it was a decent gamble by KW coming off the 95 win 2000 season which had no ace to anchor the rotation in the playoffs the previous year. Also, there was no long term commitment to Wells. He was a rent a player gamble for one year that didn't pay off because Wells showed up to camp out of shape and was plagued by injuries most of 2001. It was a one and done thing. No harm done to the organization because we gave up Sirotka in the deal who ended up never pitching again. Wells may have been hurt and ineffective but he had a positive influence on Mark Buehrle who has talked about Wells showing him the ropes when he was a young starting pitcher in 2001.

David Wells Stats:

2001- 5W-7L 4.47 E.R.A.

Jaime Navarro on the other hand was given a long term deal by Ron Schueler (4 years, $20 million if I remember right) which was a ton of money for the time period. Navarro put together three of the worst seasons I've ever seen a White Sox pitcher have and the team just kept stubbornly trotting him out there to get shelled. It really set the organization back and his contract was an albatross of the highest order. I do credit Schu for finally unloading Navarro on the Brewers and getting Valentin and Eldred in return. Also, Navarro had a bad attitude when he was here to boot. When you are talking about worst acquisitions in White Sox history, Jaime Navarro is always going to be at the top of my list:

Jaime Navarro Stats:

1996 - 9W-14L 5.79 E.R.A.
1997- 8W-16L 6.36 E.R.A.
1998- 8W-13L 6.09 E.R.A.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin