White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 11:30 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
That's not really true, plenty of guys clear waivers and then get traded afterward. It's just teams would rather risk negotiating the Sox eating some salary than risk getting stuck with the whole bill.
If he had the value of his salary, a team would have taken him off waviers and not worried about the Sox eating salary. We will see how it plays out.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:59 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
I think you only deal him if the other team assumes all of his salary.
I would deal him if the other team assumes 1/2 his salary.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24thStFan View Post
Didn't Dunn clear waivers? I'm not sure he has great value, but if the Sox can move him in the offseason for someone who can meet one of our many needs, I think they should.
My guess is that Dunn clearing waivers indicates no one wants to take on his salary, not that no one wants him.

Players mid-season never have great trade value, unless, perhaps, you have a fan base demanding one specific player at the deadline and a management bowing to the pressure. It's possible that Rios brings back something in return if the player to be named later was a player who wouldn't have cleared waivers, but that is just wild and hopeful speculation.

But the fact that no one wants to take on Dunn's salary would indicate it would be hard to move him somewhere because trading him and effectively eating his contract would be counterproductive.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:27 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
It's possible that Rios brings back something in return if the player to be named later was a player who wouldn't have cleared waivers, but that is just wild and hopeful speculation.

??? The player to be named later is in Charlotte.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
He clearly performs better as 1B posting a .885 OPS at that position compared to .699 as DH. Both have reasonable sample sizes also.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits...4808/adam-dunn
Or it could merely mean that he had a batting resurgence at the same time that PK was on the DL or not available to play 1B. So it could be coincidence.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:38 PM
WSI Guru

I wanted to trade him last offseason. I'm still in favor of moving him, if possible. His value is higher now than it was last offseason, if for no other reason than there is one year less remaining on his contract. He's also swinging the bat better now than he has in a few years.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 08-12-2013, 02:17 PM
WSI Regular

I was going to say that maybe the Rangers would be a trade partner again and put Dunn at DH if Berkman couldn't make it back, but it looks like he's doing well in his rehab stint, so doesn't look like that's possible anymore.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:37 PM
WSI High Priest

I won't throw a fit if he is let go. Someone mentioned keeping him for half a season next year, then trading him for a player at the deadline. I think the Sox are okay on money, that might be the best thing to do if he continues to hit HR.

If you are a believer that hitting is contagious, I think you have to believe Adam Dunn is a deadly virus. The Sox need to move on from him long term, and any thought of acquiring a hitter like him for market value again.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
He clearly performs better as 1B posting a .885 OPS at that position compared to .699 as DH. Both have reasonable sample sizes also.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits...4808/adam-dunn

I wouldn't mind keeping Dunn if the choice is simply to unload his salary because not having Dunn will only add one more position to be filled next year (assuming PK retires or moves on).
I remember Dunn was originally hesitant to sign with the SOX because he didn't want to be a full-time DH.

I remember how Frank Thomas used to comment about he did not like to play 1B, but he had similar numbers that argued better statistics when he played the field.

Personally, I think it keeps their heads in the game better than DH, plus if you have a bad at bat, you can make a good play in the field to help forget about it. If your the DH, you sit there or go hit the batting cages in the tunnel.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Or it could merely mean that he had a batting resurgence at the same time that PK was on the DL or not available to play 1B. So it could be coincidence.
2.5 month resurgence is a heck of a run...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-12-2013, 08:16 PM
WSI Personality

Man it doesn't take much for you guys to forget mediocracy. The guy can hit a home run every now and again, draw a walk once and a blue moon, and strike out every other time. He needs to be moved.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:43 PM

Guy's got something like a .930 OPS since June is on a pace to hit 40+ HR and drive in 90+ on a team with zero offensive ability. There are exactly 11 guys in the majors with an OPS over .900 this season. If Dunn finishes around .850 he'll be in the top 25 in the league. I don't see how you can dismiss that kind of performance.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Guy's got something like a .930 OPS since June is on a pace to hit 40+ HR and drive in 90+ on a team with zero offensive ability. There are exactly 11 guys in the majors with an OPS over .900 this season. If Dunn finishes around .850 he'll be in the top 25 in the league. I don't see how you can dismiss that kind of performance.

At 15M a year every team in baseball is dismissing it, so why cant the people here do the same?
Old 08-12-2013, 11:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

I don't think it's being dismissed. He can hit homeruns (apparently only at first base). What value is that to the Sox? He's not a very good first baseman. He's extremely streaky, and hits anywhere from .159 to .239.

I think there's value for a contender, which is what the Sox thought they'd be when they got him. But, if he can't be a DH, then what's the point? Kinda the same feeling I had when the Sox signed him.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
I don't think it's being dismissed. He can hit homeruns (apparently only at first base). What value is that to the Sox? He's not a very good first baseman. He's extremely streaky, and hits anywhere from .159 to .239.

I think there's value for a contender, which is what the Sox thought they'd be when they got him. But, if he can't be a DH, then what's the point? Kinda the same feeling I had when the Sox signed him.
Yeah but when the Sox signed him they had PK. Now they don't.