White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 08-12-2013, 05:42 PM
slavko slavko is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Suburban
Posts: 5,404
Default

He does do a nice interview. Sounds like a conversation with an educated man. Kenny is an educated man but his interviews sounded like he was talking down to us. Kenny did field competitive teams but with an unsustainable business model. It's my answer to why we are where we are.

He's got a job ahead of him, all right. The 'pen is overrated and there's a bunch of holes to fill on the field. The one bright spot is the stating pitching, but I'll bet you a lemon cookie some of it gets traded to fill the aforementioned holes. Most of you tell me the minors are barren of position players and I'll take your word for it.
__________________
Ya Ta Hey, Black Crow.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-12-2013, 07:31 PM
TaylorStSox TaylorStSox is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington & Talman
Posts: 4,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
The only thing I hated this year was the 1 guy we won't sign is the guy with one of the bigger upsides, but thats 10000% based on his body, and nothing he has done.

We drafted well, and we took guys who have some high risk/high reward. Namely, Danish. I loved that pick. Maybe he does not work out, a lot of guys like him won't. But his velocity and breaking ball give him a chance to be special. It wasn't just an athletic/toolsy OF type, but a guy with legit baseball skills. We didn't just focus on signability, but finding guys who might make an impact with the signability factor. We had a really decent draft.

I don't get it. Are people pissed that Hahn actually seems to have a plan?
We focused on signability last year? Both Anderson and May were both way bigger reaches than Hawkins and Barnum. May was a total save money pick. I know why they did it though. Hawkins wasn't a reach in any way and everyone loved the pick. Danish is far more of a risk than Barnum. A lot of organizations wouldn't touch Danish with a 5th round pick. Personally, I loved both drafts, but I think your argument is either ignorant or biased.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minooka
Posts: 9,551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
We focused on signability last year? Both Anderson and May were both way bigger reaches than Hawkins and Barnum. May was a total save money pick. I know why they did it though. Hawkins wasn't a reach in any way and everyone loved the pick. Danish is far more of a risk than Barnum. A lot of organizations wouldn't touch Danish with a 5th round pick. Personally, I loved both drafts, but I think your argument is either ignorant or biased.
I know a lot of scouts who hated the Barnum pick. Reviewing a draft I guess tends to be personal bias every time. Take Anderson, I actually wanted us to go Starting Pitcher over SS there, but a lot of Scouts/"Experts" liked the fit. Some did not.

I like Hawkins, I think he was the right pick, but I just really liked this years draft. A lot of it stems from the fact I have confidence in Danish, and I have no confidence in Barnum.

I also said we focused on NOT JUST SIGNABILITY, meaning yes, we had some picks where we focused on money, but we spent our money really, really well this year.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-13-2013, 07:06 PM
#1swisher #1swisher is offline
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 60610
Posts: 16,609
Default

Chuck Garfien
Speaking about White Sox offense, Kenny Williams says they're deciding "who's going to deserve to be asked back."

Williams on the current Sox offense: "This is not White Sox baseball in any way, shape or form."



Scott Merkin
Kenny Williams held court today for about 40 minutes. A full report on his comments:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_cws&c_id=cws

Schouwen
KW on next year's lineup: 'We’re looking at who deserves to be asked back. Because this is not White Sox baseball in no way, shape or form.'

Doug Padilla ‏@ESPNChiSox 3m Bad 2013 won't deter Kenny Williams http://es.pn/1d52ofk
__________________
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-13-2013, 11:31 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,930
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Unfortunately, some of these guys who shouldn't be invited back have a standing invitation by contract....Keppinger e.g.
I'd still like to see them move Dunn. Let De Aza (who is goofy at times, I know) play some DH and LF with Viciedo.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-14-2013, 10:46 AM
TaylorStSox TaylorStSox is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington & Talman
Posts: 4,227
Default

If they're willing to eat money, Keppinger has to be DFA'd. I never use the word "unacceptable," but his play really is. He's one of the worst baseball players I've ever seen. He does nothing well. Nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-14-2013, 10:51 AM
GoSox2K3 GoSox2K3 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Chuck Garfien
Speaking about White Sox offense, Kenny Williams says they're deciding "who's going to deserve to be asked back."

Williams on the current Sox offense: "This is not White Sox baseball in any way, shape or form."



Scott Merkin
Kenny Williams held court today for about 40 minutes. A full report on his comments:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_cws&c_id=cws

Schouwen
KW on next year's lineup: 'We’re looking at who deserves to be asked back. Because this is not White Sox baseball in no way, shape or form.'

Doug Padilla ‏@ESPNChiSox 3m Bad 2013 won't deter Kenny Williams http://es.pn/1d52ofk
More empty words from Kenny Williams - which is what I have come to expect over the last 5 years. Are they going to not ask Alexei back and eat the $20M they still owe him? GMAB. And if they don't ask a bunch of the bad players back, who is going to take their place? It sounds like we don't have much in the way of MLB-ready position player talent in our system and I doubt the Sox are going on a FA spending spree this winter.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-14-2013, 11:12 AM
sunofgold sunofgold is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 964
Default 3rd and OF

Get an 3rd baseman and other OF and this team looks good for next
Year. Easier said than done. 3rd baseman Free agent pool looks bleak.

Of- Garcia
Of - De Aza
of - GET ONE
3rd - Get one
SS - Alexei until one develops from minors
2b - Beckham
1b/DH platoon between Dunn and viciedo
c - platoon/open competition between Josh P and Tyler F

Starters very good. Reed works as closer. Maybe get another reliever. Kepper and Gillaspie are fine as bench players
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-14-2013, 11:19 AM
TaylorStSox TaylorStSox is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington & Talman
Posts: 4,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
More empty words from Kenny Williams - which is what I have come to expect over the last 5 years. Are they going to not ask Alexei back and eat the $20M they still owe him? GMAB. And if they don't ask a bunch of the bad players back, who is going to take their place? It sounds like we don't have much in the way of MLB-ready position player talent in our system and I doubt the Sox are going on a FA spending spree this winter.
Ramirez has had a tough year, but he's absolutely not the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-14-2013, 11:32 AM
XplodingScorbord's Avatar
XplodingScorbord XplodingScorbord is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Ramirez has had a tough year, but he's absolutely not the problem.
Glad somebody said this. The guy hasn't had a day off in forever. He's probably mentally shot. And yet, despite a rise in errors, he's still making plays not many other SS can, and hitting at a good clip. This is absolutely not a guy you just get rid of. Man, Sox fans this year are nuts.
__________________
**Xploding Scorbord**
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-14-2013, 12:18 PM
kobo kobo is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mount prospect
Posts: 4,431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post

Schouwen
KW on next year's lineup: 'We’re looking at who deserves to be asked back. Because this is not White Sox baseball in no way, shape or form.'
*** does this even mean? Ask back? Who is he kidding? There are players under contract for next season so those players will be back. If they're not then they will be traded because they aren't going to eat any salary. Once again, KW trying to be the tough guy instead of just being honest.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-14-2013, 12:34 PM
TaylorStSox TaylorStSox is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington & Talman
Posts: 4,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
*** does this even mean? Ask back? Who is he kidding? There are players under contract for next season so those players will be back. If they're not then they will be traded because they aren't going to eat any salary. Once again, KW trying to be the tough guy instead of just being honest.
Technically only 4 players are under contract for next year.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minooka
Posts: 9,551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
*** does this even mean? Ask back? Who is he kidding? There are players under contract for next season so those players will be back. If they're not then they will be traded because they aren't going to eat any salary. Once again, KW trying to be the tough guy instead of just being honest.
Right, it isn't a college team or a club team.

Kenny basically was speaking to the meatballs of the fan base that need this stuff blown up their rear end.

What the Sox need more than anything right now is leadership and energy. This team is one of the most boring, most dull ever. For anyone who played even a varsity high school sport, you know how important it is to NOT BE FLAT. Bad Habits are contagious. There is not one guy on this team offensively who can carry the load. There is not one guy (outside maybe Dunn) who can change an entire game on one swing of the bat or one great trip on the basepaths.

I think when Rios commented on the energy Texas has, that was telling.

If you had to look at guys Kenny may have been talking too, Tank is probably one. You can't play him at first base because you can't handle his offensive production there. 1st is a position where you need to think offense first. His .750 OPS isn't going to hack it.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-14-2013, 12:43 PM
TaylorStSox TaylorStSox is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington & Talman
Posts: 4,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Right, it isn't a college team or a club team.

Kenny basically was speaking to the meatballs of the fan base that need this stuff blown up their rear end.

What the Sox need more than anything right now is leadership and energy. This team is one of the most boring, most dull ever. For anyone who played even a varsity high school sport, you know how important it is to NOT BE FLAT. Bad Habits are contagious. There is not one guy on this team offensively who can carry the load. There is not one guy (outside maybe Dunn) who can change an entire game on one swing of the bat or one great trip on the basepaths.

I think when Rios commented on the energy Texas has, that was telling.

If you had to look at guys Kenny may have been talking too, Tank is probably one. You can't play him at first base because you can't handle his offensive production there. 1st is a position where you need to think offense first. His .750 OPS isn't going to hack it.
You say he's speaking to the "meatballs" in the fan base then, in the same post, say this team needs intangibles and take a wild guess at who he's talking about. You can't make this **** up. Haha.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-14-2013, 12:48 PM
eriqjaffe eriqjaffe is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Arlington Heights, IL
Posts: 2,974
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Technically only 4 players are under contract for next year.
I count 5: Danks, Dunn, Ramirez, Keppinger, and Sale.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.