White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 11:22 AM
WSI High Priest

Did anyone hear Hahn yesterday? I listened on my drive home but he had not come on between 530-545
Old 08-08-2013, 06:30 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Haven't been watching much this year?

EDIT - Should note, I'm not saying I think Dunn is going to get moved, I just don't think anyone is going to take Rios, either. He's been a whole lot of bad this year.
He's going to wind up at roughly 75 R, 75 RBI, 18 HR, 40 SB, and he's hitting .277 and slugging .421. He ranks 14th among all RF in total bases.

He's not having a fantastic year by any means, but "a whole lot of bad?" Not quite.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:27 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
He's going to wind up at roughly 75 R, 75 RBI, 18 HR, 40 SB, and he's hitting .277 and slugging .421. He ranks 14th among all RF in total bases.

He's not having a fantastic year by any means, but "a whole lot of bad?" Not quite.
That's only if you think he's been steady all year, he hasn't, he started great but it's been pretty slim pickings for almost 2 months now. Here's his last 50 games:

.255/.296/.326 with 1 HR

0-1

LAST GAME: April 12 - Indians 12, Sox 6
NEXT GAME: April 16 vs. Boston
Old 08-09-2013, 09:36 AM
WSI Prelate

Some teams can bring up Michael Wacha to start at this point. The Sox can bring up Charlie Leesman.

Oh, this minor league system.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-10-2013, 09:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Yesterday Hahn was on B & B after the trade and he said something that seemed to make sense to me....

He was clearing payroll, but we would see resources reallocated. Bernstein then asked how that would work in the draft because of the slots, and Hahn said the team expects to have a very big slot to work with. It sounds like he is setting this team up to not be under the Jerry/Kenny 50 cent thumb for this draft. Its very common for top 5 teams with big slots to take kids a little higher so they can use some of the slot money later in the draft. Barring something stupid like the Sox playing out of a top 10 pick, this draft could be the one that totally rejuvenates our farm.

The one thing I left yesterday with after the interview.... Kenny, he basically said the same thing every interview. Goal is to win a world series, I like winning, blah blah blah. Canned, Generic.

Hahn really seems to have a plan. He seems like he knows exactly what he is doing, and he is 2 steps ahead, not 2 behind. Sounds like some of this money is going to be used to lure some great scouts to Chicago and find better talent in the draft. Said he will not be focusing on the high floor type picks we used to make. I felt very confident in him as our GM yesterday.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:26 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Hahn really seems to have a plan. He seems like he knows exactly what he is doing, and he is 2 steps ahead, not 2 behind..
that's all well and good, but.. I harken back to Reinsdorf's kid sort of letting the cat out of the back with a recent newspaper feature on the local sports execs, saying that the old man was VERY involved in operations.. that could be taken a number of ways, but.. there's always the specter of the Chairman still ultimately calling all the shots and putting the kabosh on any plan, no matter how sensical.

I think the organization deathly fears giving the fans the impression that a somewhat lengthy 2-3 yr or more rebuild is in order.. , when in fact it could be possible the case. The Sox do have a nice core of starting pitching, but when you look at all the other holes to be filled.. Catching, the offense as a whole, the bullpen...yikes...
Old 08-10-2013, 12:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain54 View Post
that's all well and good, but.. I harken back to Reinsdorf's kid sort of letting the cat out of the back with a recent newspaper feature on the local sports execs, saying that the old man was VERY involved in operations.. that could be taken a number of ways, but.. there's always the specter of the Chairman still ultimately calling all the shots and putting the kabosh on any plan, no matter how sensical.

I think the organization deathly fears giving the fans the impression that a somewhat lengthy 2-3 yr or more rebuild is in order.. , when in fact it could be possible the case. The Sox do have a nice core of starting pitching, but when you look at all the other holes to be filled.. Catching, the offense as a whole, the bullpen...yikes...
I agree with your assessment of how the organization fears a fan backlash. The White Sox have been very defensive about public criticism from the beginning and the White Flag Trade aftermath still haunts them.

I also agree that the rebuild will take time. Like you said, there are so many holes to fill and young players need time to develop. 2015 will come and go and the Sox will not have returned to the playoffs.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
I agree with your assessment of how the organization fears a fan backlash. The White Sox have been very defensive about public criticism from the beginning and the White Flag Trade aftermath still haunts them.

I also agree that the rebuild will take time. Like you said, there are so many holes to fill and young players need time to develop. 2015 will come and go and the Sox will not have returned to the playoffs.
You don't HAVE to rebuild though. If Hahn can run out an 80-85 win team ala Kenny for 2 or 3 years at 20 mil cheaper and use 10-15 mil of that to sign scouts who operate well and get us young talent, and we start infusing that talent to fill holes over the years, He did a great job. Hahn clearly is much sharper than Kenny. If that translates is a different story, but we are dealing with a very smart man here. You have to like that.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:22 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Yesterday Hahn was on B & B after the trade and he said something that seemed to make sense to me....

He was clearing payroll, but we would see resources reallocated. Bernstein then asked how that would work in the draft because of the slots, and Hahn said the team expects to have a very big slot to work with. It sounds like he is setting this team up to not be under the Jerry/Kenny 50 cent thumb for this draft. Its very common for top 5 teams with big slots to take kids a little higher so they can use some of the slot money later in the draft. Barring something stupid like the Sox playing out of a top 10 pick, this draft could be the one that totally rejuvenates our farm.

The one thing I left yesterday with after the interview.... Kenny, he basically said the same thing every interview. Goal is to win a world series, I like winning, blah blah blah. Canned, Generic.

Hahn really seems to have a plan. He seems like he knows exactly what he is doing, and he is 2 steps ahead, not 2 behind. Sounds like some of this money is going to be used to lure some great scouts to Chicago and find better talent in the draft. Said he will not be focusing on the high floor type picks we used to make. I felt very confident in him as our GM yesterday.
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what the Sox did in Kenny's last draft (AKA the first one under the new CBA rules), anyways. And what they did this year.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what the Sox did in Kenny's last draft (AKA the first one under the new CBA rules), anyways. And what they did this year.
This. Plus, Hahn and KW have been basically co-GM's for a few years and it's pretty clear the GM switch had been in the works for a number of years. Hahn was eased into the role.

The way KW gets slammed on this site is comical. He consistently had this team more competitive than any other GM in most of our lifetimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 08-12-2013, 03:31 PM
WSI Regular

Many Sox fans have no end to their self-induced misery.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:35 PM
WSI Personality

Default The Future (2014)

The White Sox have 4 options for 2014.
1) Keep the same players and hope they get better in 2014.
2) Bring up some players from the Minor Leagues and hope they perform better than the present group of players.
3) Trade some of the pitchers (the teams strength) for some hitters.
4) Sign some free agents who can hit. K. Morales, B. McCann and Ellsbury come to mind.
Taking everything into account I would like to think the White Sox are going to spend money on some free agents who can hit. With the pitching staff the White Sox have, all we need are some PLAYERS WHO CAN HIT.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Kind of, but I liked Hahn's draft this year much more than Kenny's the year before.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Kind of, but I liked Hahn's draft this year much more than Kenny's the year before.
Why?
Old 08-12-2013, 04:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Why?
The only thing I hated this year was the 1 guy we won't sign is the guy with one of the bigger upsides, but thats 10000% based on his body, and nothing he has done.

We drafted well, and we took guys who have some high risk/high reward. Namely, Danish. I loved that pick. Maybe he does not work out, a lot of guys like him won't. But his velocity and breaking ball give him a chance to be special. It wasn't just an athletic/toolsy OF type, but a guy with legit baseball skills. We didn't just focus on signability, but finding guys who might make an impact with the signability factor. We had a really decent draft.

I don't get it. Are people pissed that Hahn actually seems to have a plan?