White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 05:46 PM
WSI Regular

Default Jean Shepherd's America - Chicago (White Sox)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2e3Ov1lFyg

I was watching or listening to this great classic Jean Shepherd video and thought I would post it, not sure if some of you have seen it or not, but it was nice to watch in the mist of this horrible season.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:06 PM
WSI Guru

I just skimmed this briefly, but there's a old drive-in theater around the 4:00 mark. This looks like the old theater on Rt 53 in Romeoville --- any chance that is true?
Old 08-11-2013, 06:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Great video, only Shepherd could tell a story like that with Gehrig being a bad guy.
I have a VHS tape from 1988 called the White Sox-A Visual History with Jean narrating the whole thing. The opening scene is classic with him standing below the press box in old Comiskey on a cold winter day as he starts his narration.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-11-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:57 PM
WSI Regular

Thanks Little Nell. I never saw that before. You made my day. Two of my favorite things, the Chicago white Sox and Jean Shepard. I used to listen to Jean on the radio as a kid and then much later he created one of my favorite movies, Christmas Story. Jean could create those fantastic stories and almost make you believe them. He almost had me believing this story about him and his old man at old Comiskey.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMinoso View Post
Thanks Little Nell. I never saw that before. You made my day. Two of my favorite things, the Chicago white Sox and Jean Shepard. I used to listen to Jean on the radio as a kid and then much later he created one of my favorite movies, Christmas Story. Jean could create those fantastic stories and almost make you believe them. He almost had me believing this story about him and his old man at old Comiskey.
Minnie, your thanks should go to Trifecta.
It is a great video. You are right, Christmas Story is a classic, "the Sox traded Bullfrog!"

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-11-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:05 PM
WSI Regular

Thanks for catching that Little Nell. I'm sorry Trifecta. The thanks should go to you. What a brain cramp I had. Jean Shepard really understood Sox fans.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

That is fantastic - I knew he was a Sox fan but had never seen this. Thanks for posting it.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:23 PM
WSI Personality

Shepherd grew up in Hammond and a new community center was named after him a few years ago. A Christmas Story was set in fictional Hohman, IN as Shepherd took the name from Hohman Avenue, which is the main street that runs through downtown Hammond.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:22 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedema View Post
Shepherd grew up in Hammond and a new community center was named after him a few years ago. A Christmas Story was set in fictional Hohman, IN as Shepherd took the name from Hohman Avenue, which is the main street that runs through downtown Hammond.
I thought Hohman was also Hammond's original name.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:20 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I thought Hohman was also Hammond's original name.

Hammond was named after George Hammond in the late 1800's after he came to the area from Detroit opened a meat packing company. At the time, the Hammond Co. was larger than the Union Stock Yards and continued to be until Hammond passed away near the turn of the century.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:27 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Hammond was named after George Hammond in the late 1800's after he came to the area from Detroit opened a meat packing company. At the time, the Hammond Co. was larger than the Union Stock Yards and continued to be until Hammond passed away near the turn of the century.
WTTW was replaying one of Geoffrey Baer's programs the other day, and he mentioned that the area was called Hohman before the meat-packing plant opened. I want to say there was some crazy story involving a train conductor named Hohman saving a slow freight train from a speeding passenger train behind it, and switching on to a siding, and that siding was what would become Hammond. Maybe I'm confusing that with another region town...

EDIT: The Hohmans were apparently some of the first settlers in the area. Not sure where the train story comes from...

http://www.golfplusonline.net/LostMarshbyPete.html

Last edited by DSpivack; 08-13-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
WTTW was replaying one of Geoffrey Baer's programs the other day, and he mentioned that the area was called Hohman before the meat-packing plant opened. I want to say there was some crazy story involving a train conductor named Hohman saving a slow freight train from a speeding passenger train behind it, and switching on to a siding, and that siding was what would become Hammond. Maybe I'm confusing that with another region town...

EDIT: The Hohmans were apparently some of the first settlers in the area. Not sure where the train story comes from...

http://www.golfplusonline.net/LostMarshbyPete.html
My understanding is that the town's name was determined by a coin flip. Hammond and Hohman were local leading citizens when the city incorporated and a name needed to be chosen. I don't have a reference for the coin-flip story, but I'll poke around to find out.

Most towns have colorful origin stories. Communities were established not by any plan but by whoever showed up and planted a flag someplace.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:25 PM
New At WSI

Default S-Side, thank you for the link...

Had not seen that video...wonderful. Love it. Thank you!
Here's another one of Jean's from 1969, talking about the Sox playing in Fenway Park. He was one of a kind!

http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/4c...of-fenway-park
Old 08-16-2013, 06:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Another great video by Shepherd, that video was taken after our one and only visit to Fenway Park in 1978, sure has gone through a lot of changes.
Just looked up Bullfrog's stats, he was no Cy Young but considering he pitched for the Sox in some bad years he wasn't all that bad. With the Sox in 11 years he was 80-91 with a 4.23 ERA. Full career in 16 years he was 108-128 with a 4.48 ERA

Old 08-16-2013, 08:22 AM
WSI High Priest

This was great. Thanks for posting.