Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 08:12 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
From all media rumors in New England, it appears Ellsbury is headed to the Cubs. .
I would love to see this happen. Nomar part 2.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41 View Post
I am disappointed by this trade. This is all Rios commanded? I would have waited to winter to trade him. For his production level, his salary isn't outrageous. Heck, I expected more of a return then this on Viciedo, and he's terrible.

I hope there's more too this trade or Hahn got bamboozled. What do we need another light hitting, high K 2nd basmem for? Is Jim Hendry the GM?

Or let's analyze it this way:

1. Assume Alexei is trded (is dumped a better word) prior to next season. Let's assume Bacon is our new SS.
2. Now we have Garcia, Carlos Sanchez, Semien, and Micah Owings (sp?) as options. Owings may be a little bit away. I'm as crazy about Sanchez as I am about Garcie ie-not at all. So how many light hitting second basemen do we need to keep the position warm until Owings or Semien is ready? IMHO, Garcia and Sanchez are utility players at best.

Bob

I tend to agree. Rios wasn't overpaid and had a mere 1 year left. We gave him away, unless I'm mistaken about the prospect we got and he's higher rated than I think he is (which is a ceiling utility infielder). Maybe it would have helped in future negotiations to call Texas' bluff and keep him. We were in the position of power here, yet they got what they wanted and we really didn't.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:24 AM
WSI Church Elder

Ellsbury: VERY injury prone 30 year old speedster who will command an enormous long deal. No thank you. By the time the Sox are contenders, he will be a declining albatross contract.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
We gave him away, unless I'm mistaken about the prospect we got and he's higher rated than I think he is (which is a ceiling utility infielder).
For what it's worth...

Ken RosenthalVerified account ‏@Ken_Rosenthal Scout on L. Garcia, likely PTBN for Rios. “High upside if everything clicks. Furcal potential. Utility at worst. Solid regular most likely.”
Old 08-11-2013, 02:03 AM
WSI High Priest

I think if you go lead off Nate Mclouth would be solid. I they decide to go in a different direction then De Aza

Last edited by ZombieRob; 08-11-2013 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:35 AM
WSI Personality

Mister know it all, Steve Stone, said last week that there was a better chance of Dunn going to Texas than there was Rios. I wish for once he would of been right. Maybe somebody else will pick up Dunn. I doubt it but you never know. I still can't figure out why the Phillies replaced Delmon Young with Casper Wells. Young must of done something to upset the Phillies for him to be released. Wells keeps going from team to team. Scouts must see something in him. I don't know what, but he seems to wanted by other teams. Wells was once considered the top prospect in the Tigers farm system. When the Mariners obtained Wells in a trade a few years back, they thought he was a future All Star.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:55 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
Ellsbury: VERY injury prone 30 year old speedster who will command an enormous long deal. No thank you. By the time the Sox are contenders, he will be a declining albatross contract.
That is inaccurate. Ellsbury had had two injuries in his career. Both were crashing into something ( an infielder and a wall). Aggressive defensive players do get hurt. That is why LA has tried to tone down Trout. But injury prone is a concern with players who have recurring injuries such as hamstring, arm or shoulder problems etc. I agree that the White Sox will not be a player for Ellsbury. He is having an All-Star year and will be paid big bucks in the offseason. Probably goes to the Cubs but maybe the Yankees will go after him based on the way their season is crumbling.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:23 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Alex Rios went 2-for-3 with a triple in his Texas Rangers debut.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index..._away&c_id=tex
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 08-11-2013, 02:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Chicago White SoxVerified account ‏@whitesox

The #WhiteSox have acquired IF Leury (lay-OOH-ree) Garcia from the #Rangers as the player to be named later from the 8/9 trade.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
That is inaccurate. Ellsbury had had two injuries in his career. Both were crashing into something ( an infielder and a wall). Aggressive defensive players do get hurt. That is why LA has tried to tone down Trout. But injury prone is a concern with players who have recurring injuries such as hamstring, arm or shoulder problems etc. I agree that the White Sox will not be a player for Ellsbury. He is having an All-Star year and will be paid big bucks in the offseason. Probably goes to the Cubs but maybe the Yankees will go after him based on the way their season is crumbling.
Even if he hadn't had injuries, 30 years old and likely commanding an 8 year contract is not a good idea for the Sox or the Cubs. They are in a position that, when he would start to matter, he will be declining.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:44 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Even if he hadn't had injuries, 30 years old and likely commanding an 8 year contract is not a good idea for the Sox or the Cubs. They are in a position that, when he would start to matter, he will be declining.
That sounds too much like the Soriano contract they signed awhile back. Pass...though it'd be funny to see them make the same mistake twice.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Alex Rios went 2-for-3 with a triple in his Texas Rangers debut.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index..._away&c_id=tex
Rios had another good game today - 2 for 4, scored 2 runs, drove in 1 run, and had an outfield assist. It feels like he's already contributed more to Texas in two games than he did in his first two months with the Sox.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:48 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Agreed. Whoever signs Ellsbury, IMO, is going to be paying for what Ellsbury has done in the past, not for what he will do in the future.

He would be a mistake for the White Sox and for the Cubs as well. I'm sure the Sox will not be players for Ellsbury. The Cubs might very well be. Let them make the mistake.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 08-12-2013, 12:33 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by delben91 View Post
For what it's worth...

Ken RosenthalVerified account ‏@Ken_Rosenthal Scout on L. Garcia, likely PTBN for Rios. “High upside if everything clicks. Furcal potential. Utility at worst. Solid regular most likely.”
More positive than the reports I had read. And if we can move Alexei (come on, Cardinals) we can use his D next year.
Regardless, we all know we need a clean slate.