White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 12:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastball23 View Post
I don't see DeAza in a Sox uniform next season..
Who do you have hitting leadoff? Not saying I'm partial to either way on De Aza but do you think we pull from the minors for that spot?

If next year is a complete scrap to cleanse the system and build toward 2015, I still think we have to add a piece or two for the future. I don't want to see us bring in a ton of FAs all in 2015. No mater how many slots we fill with prospects, we will still need some 1-year rentals with 2015 club options.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:38 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
Who do you have hitting leadoff? Not saying I'm partial to either way on De Aza but do you think we pull from the minors for that spot?
I know who I want it to be (Ellsbury) but I think our new leadoff hitter will be a rookie.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I know who I want it to be (Ellsbury) but I think our new leadoff hitter will be a rookie.
I certainly wouldn't mind him but believe that Boras will be looking for too much $$$ out of him for what we'll likely spend.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
Call me when Adam Dunn is off the books. Until then, the Kenny Williams Era marches on.
I just hope there is another team out there that is desperate for a slugger and is willing to take Dunn. I wonder how much of his remaining salary the Sox would/should chip in to unload him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The Sox have no say in how much money they will be able to spend in the Draft or (most) international signings, that will all be budgeted for them based on how they finish.
Depending on how A. Garcia does for us, maybe going sans Rios the rest of the way brings us one step closer to cinching at least the #2 worst team spot.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:06 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
It would be a huge mistake to sign Ellsbury. Huge mistake. I'm loathe to give a long-term deal to a player who is approaching 30 and makes a living with his speed. He'll be good for a couple more years, then his body will break down. The Sox shouldn't even consider him, and I don't think they will.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 08-10-2013, 05:38 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
It would be a huge mistake to sign Ellsbury. Huge mistake. I'm loathe to give a long-term deal to a player who is approaching 30 and makes a living with his speed. He'll be good for a couple more years, then his body will break down. The Sox shouldn't even consider him, and I don't think they will.
Agreed. De Aza has a career slash line of .279/.340/.417 and Ellsbury .297/.351/.440. Ellsbury gives you better defense and a lot more SBs, but is likely to command a lengthy contract of maybe $15 million/year, and you're paying for his declining years in his 30s. While De Aza is the same age, in his 2nd year of arbitration he'll probably get a little less than $3 million. I do not think signing Ellsbury would necessarily be prudent.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.

Last edited by DSpivack; 08-10-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Agreed. De Aza has a career slash line of .279/.340/.417 and Ellsbury .297/.351/.440. Ellsbury gives you better defense and a lot more SBs, but is likely to command a lengthy contract of maybe $15 million/year, and you're paying for his declining years in his 30s. While De Aza is the same age, in his 2nd year of arbitration he'll probably a little less than $3 million. I do not think signing Ellsbury would necessarily be prudent.
Elsbury is miles better than De Aza, but I am in no rush to hand over a wheel barrel full of cash to him either.

If it were up to me I'd be handing one and two year deals only this off season.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:07 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
Elsbury is miles better than De Aza, but I am in no rush to hand over a wheel barrel full of cash to him either.

Of course, just agreeing with JB that I don't think Ellsbury would be worth the money he is likely to get. His reputation seems bigger than his actual production.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post

Agreed. Get rid of some of the dead weight, and plug some holes.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I don't see DeAza in a Sox uniform next season..
I see zero reason to get rid of him unless another team wants to overpay for his services - which may well be possible with this FA OF market, but still doubtful. He's a cost-controlled, slightly above average hitter capable of playing CF (not great CF, but he can hang) - which is just fine for this team. He's the right kind of veteran for a re-building club.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:55 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
I see zero reason to get rid of him unless another team wants to overpay for his services - which may well be possible with this FA OF market, but still doubtful. He's a cost-controlled, slightly above average hitter capable of playing CF (not great CF, but he can hang) - which is just fine for this team. He's the right kind of veteran for a re-building club.
Yep, perfect veteran stopgap while we're waiting for the Sox to acquire or develop somebody better. De Aza stays next year, IMO.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:58 PM
WSI Guru

Ellsbury spends way too much time on the DL. He would be 2007 Podsednik v2.0, except more costly.

2013 Attendance Record: 7-9, .438
Old 08-10-2013, 07:01 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Of course, just agreeing with JB that I don't think Ellsbury would be worth the money he is likely to get. His reputation seems bigger than his actual production.
It is. Just wait until the Cubs overpay for him this offseason. The guy will probably be compared to Rickey Henderson.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Outside of a mid-level catcher, Morneau, Morales, or Cano... Not much makes sense or looks enticing to me.

Will the Sox pursue an OFer? They seem to be banking on young guys (or the guys already here) for that.

At pitcher, I could see them get a guy who maybe is coming off a down year or two. I don't see a major investment coming though.

I'd love a 3Bman, but the guys out there... not so much.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:41 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
From all media rumors in New England, it appears Ellsbury is headed to the Cubs. But I would love to see the White Sox steal him from them. First of all Ellsbury is a career .297 hitter who hits the ball to the gaps. So he is a very good hitter first who happens to also be probably the fastest player in the game. He also walks a lot for a leadoff batter. He maybe is as good defensively as any CF in the game as well.
Like all players I am sure his speed will drop off. But look at the SB leaders and you find a bunch of guys in their 30's who still steal bases-Crisp-Victorino-Pierre -Rollins.
I agree you would not sign Ellsbury to a 10 year deal But I would jump at a 6 or 7 year. My guess is he will demand big bucks and the White Sox can't afford him and probably Boras won't call them. But he is a great leadoff batter at this stage who also is a great CF.