White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 02:56 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41 View Post
I am disappointed by this trade. This is all Rios commanded? I would have waited to winter to trade him. For his production level, his salary isn't outrageous. Heck, I expected more of a return then this on Viciedo, and he's terrible.

I hope there's more too this trade or Hahn got bamboozled. What do we need another light hitting, high K 2nd basmem for? Is Jim Hendry the GM?

Or let's analyze it this way:

1. Assume Alexei is trded (is dumped a better word) prior to next season. Let's assume Bacon is our new SS.
2. Now we have Garcia, Carlos Sanchez, Semien, and Micah Owings (sp?) as options. Owings may be a little bit away. I'm as crazy about Sanchez as I am about Garcie ie-not at all. So how many light hitting second basemen do we need to keep the position warm until Owings or Semien is ready? IMHO, Garcia and Sanchez are utility players at best.

Bob
Again I think we have to remember that the Sox dumped alot of salary and got a decent prospect out of this. Trading Rios in the winter doesn't guarantee anything better in return.

IF Hahn is to be believe he wants to use this money for scouting and development then I think that is a massive step in the right direction for this organization.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:00 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock07 View Post
Again I think we have to remember that the Sox dumped alot of salary and got a decent prospect out of this. Trading Rios in the winter doesn't guarantee anything better in return.

IF Hahn is to be believe he wants to use this money for scouting and development then I think that is a massive step in the right direction for this organization.
Huge salary dump. Flexibility is king, and we still got a prospect out of it. Well done Rick!

#teamshield
Old 08-09-2013, 03:02 PM
WSI Regular

Rick Hahn has done a very good job the last 2 weeks.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
Rick Hahn has done a very good job the last 2 weeks.
+1. Looking forward to seeing what the fresh faces can do.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastball23 View Post
Scot Gregor@scotgregor40s
Avisail Garcia will wear No. 26 for White Sox
Damn. I was hoping he would take #34 since I already own a jersey that says "Garcia 34" on it.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 08-09-2013, 03:13 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
It is an end of an era. The chapter needed to be closed, I think. This gives Hahn the opportunity to place his stamp on the team.
Call me when Adam Dunn is off the books. Until then, the Kenny Williams Era marches on.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Damn. I was hoping he would take #34 since I already own a jersey that says "Garcia 34" on it.

Maybe Leury Garcia will have #34 if he ever gets up to the show.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:55 PM
WSI High Priest

This is kind of whatever. People are severely over valuing Rios here. A lot of teams really do not like this guy. He doesn't hustle or play hard, he doesn't bring any leadership or energy. He is a pretty decent player, but he does nothing great but run. Everything else is just pretty average. He just doesn't do much very poorly. If the Sox took that 14 mil and put 10 of it into signing a guy like Brian McCann or a similar, impact free agent, we will be fine with this move.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:06 PM
WSI Personality

If all the Sox get is Leury Garcia, wouldn't you say Hahn lost? I don't see why he couldn't of gotten the same a few weeks ago. This report says the Sox will get Garcia if he clears waivers; http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/20...hite-sox.html/. Does that mean that any other team could simply claim him to stop the Sox?

Edit: By "losing" I mean less in what Rios value was but more that Texas called his bluff.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
This is kind of whatever. People are severely over valuing Rios here. A lot of teams really do not like this guy. He doesn't hustle or play hard, he doesn't bring any leadership or energy. He is a pretty decent player, but he does nothing great but run. Everything else is just pretty average. He just doesn't do much very poorly. If the Sox took that 14 mil and put 10 of it into signing a guy like Brian McCann or a similar, impact free agent, we will be fine with this move.
Why would a rebuilding team sign Brian McCann? IMO that's the worst way to spend the money that is now available.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I could not agree more.

We weren't trading Giancarlo Stanton here.

We were trading a good but not great outfielder with a ****ty attitude/work ethic.

The player and more importantly the salary relief that we got were more than a fair deal for Rios.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Is Garcia Eligible to Be The PTBNL?

Quote:
2. The player may not be an active Major Leaguer player during the interval between the trade and the date the player is named. As a result, PTBNLs are basically always minor league prospects--though sometimes a long-term major league DL player is the PTBNL.

http://www.purplerow.com/2009/3/5/77...ions-part-five
Isn't Garcia currently on the Rangers' 25 man active roster? If he is, he can't be the PTBNL according to this rule.

EDIT: According to the Rangers' website he is not currently listed as being on their 25 man roster. I thought he was with the big club but apparently I was wrong.

Last edited by DickAllen72; 08-09-2013 at 04:29 PM. Reason: More info
Old 08-09-2013, 04:29 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickAllen72 View Post
Isn't Garcia currently on the Rangers' 25 man active roster? If he is, he can't be the PTBNL according to this rule.
I read he had to clear waivers..
Old 08-09-2013, 04:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickAllen72 View Post

EDIT: According to the Rangers' website he is not currently listed as being on their 25 man roster. I thought he was with the big club but apparently I was wrong.
He's on the 40 man roster, not the active roster.

Now only if we can bring back Freddy Garcia, trade for Nats Reliever Christian Garcia and even though we don't need another LHP, we could get Jaime Garcia from the Cards.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 08-09-2013, 04:57 PM
WSI High Priest

If I had to describe Rick Hahns work as a GM in one word, it would be sensible. Everything he does has a purpose to it and it all makes sense when and after it happens. After the trade deadline, it was pretty likely that no one wanted much to do with Rios, but they managed to get a guy, who will probably end up as an all-purpose utility guy. I think the Sox can let him season a little bit more in AAA before bringing him up. That also gives the Sox some flexibility to restructure their overall budget.
As for Avisail, it will be interesting to see what he can do. AAA was no longer challenging him, so time to see if he can cut it.