White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 11:54 AM
WSI High Priest

Its funny all the people who say let Rios go are meatheads he is a five tool talent. If he is so great how come he was acquired for nothing and no team wants to give up anything of significance for him? And don't give me the Blue Jays had money issues BS. Their ownership is one of the richest in baseball.

And if you think JR is just going to pocket the money, hasn't the payroll actually increased just about every year? You base this claim on nothing.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Dunn has cleared waivers BTW. Unfortunately no one found it worthy of taking on the contract. Which was expected.
Or no team wants/needs Adam Dunn. It's not just a one way street.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:55 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Its very good that he cleared but the Sox will have to eat quite a bit of his salary and dont much of a return. It would be basically a dump of whatever they can which is fine by me.
No argument here. Dunn is truly the type of contract you want to dump for nothing.

JR is not known for eating salary, I wonder if he would in this case.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:57 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRob View Post
They could use that money for their system and start competing internationally for prospects.
Yea they could and should have been working on the minor league system for years. That was going to happen when they got Buddy Bell and it was basically sos. The change in philosophy has to come from the very top and I dont see it happening.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:59 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Phil Rogers ‏@ChiTribRogers 8m

@JimBowdenESPNxm says no Alex Rios trade upcoming;

@JonHeymanCBS reports Adam Dunn has cleared waivers. He's also of interest to Texas.

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 13m
Chance that the #White Sox trade Alex Rios to the #Rangers today "smaller than a bread basket" according to a source involved in trade talks
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 08-09-2013, 11:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I do. I think we waited a year or two, to late.
You really believe Konerko is mailing it in? *** are you people seeing that the rest of us aren't? Paulie has never been an excitable guy. I haven't seen or noticed any sort of change in his attitude which would lead me to believe that he doesn't give a **** anymore. Seriously, I think some of you are just grasping at whatever you can to try and justify your opinions.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Yea they could and should have been working on the minor league system for years. That was going to happen when they got Buddy Bell and it was basically sos. The change in philosophy has to come from the very top and I dont see it happening.
100% with you on this, and I don't think it's pointed out enough. The philosophy has to be chance from A to AAA. Amazing how Dodgers and other teams can get nice international players and the Sox get the scraps.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Its funny all the people who say let Rios go are meatheads he is a five tool talent. If he is so great how come he was acquired for nothing and no team wants to give up anything of significance for him? And don't give me the Blue Jays had money issues BS. Their ownership is one of the richest in baseball.

And if you think JR is just going to pocket the money, hasn't the payroll actually increased just about every year? You base this claim on nothing.
No Payroll has fluctuated....from 2005-2008 it went from $75M to $121M which is understandable coming off the WS and the team trying to keep winning.
2008 $121M
2009 $96M
2010 $103M
2011 $127M
2012 $97M
2013 $118M

My point is, I would rather the club eat some salary in these trades to get some good prospects for the future building of the team instead of just having other teams take on the whole salary and getting back a marginal organizational filler.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 08-09-2013, 12:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Phil Rogers ‏@ChiTribRogers 8m

@JimBowdenESPNxm says no Alex Rios trade upcoming;

@JonHeymanCBS reports Adam Dunn has cleared waivers. He's also of interest to Texas.

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 13m
Chance that the #White Sox trade Alex Rios to the #Rangers today "smaller than a bread basket" according to a source involved in trade talks
Nonsense! I think the chance of a trade is as large as a wine bottle rack!
Old 08-09-2013, 12:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
You really believe Konerko is mailing it in? *** are you people seeing that the rest of us aren't? Paulie has never been an excitable guy. I haven't seen or noticed any sort of change in his attitude which would lead me to believe that he doesn't give a **** anymore. Seriously, I think some of you are just grasping at whatever you can to try and justify your opinions.
No so much mailing it in, but waited to long to get any value for him. And got caught in a catch 22 with last years season.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Amazing how Dodgers and other teams can get nice international players and the Sox get the scraps.
The Sox had serious deficiencies in this department over the last few years, there's no question. I blame it on Dave Wilder. It takes a little while to recover from that type of a scandal. Bringing in Marco Paddy was a step in the right direction, and some of the recent international signings - particularly Micker Zapata - give me hope that the organization has gone back to the approach that allowed us to sign guys like Magglio and El Caballo in the past.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:21 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Amazing how Dodgers and other teams can get nice international players and the Sox get the scraps.
The international market is one where you may have to overpay. You have to be willing to lay out some big money for only a possibility of return. This is for totally unproven players and the Sox dont do this, they avoided these kind of players in the draft before and I dont see them changing their mindset.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Lots of good logic here, all leading to different conclusions. No one here thinks he's worth his money, that's a fact. They have Garcia waiting for a chance, that's a fact. Expecting to get a valuable prospect for a player that's not worth the money he's making would seem to be unreasonable.

Some of his "Five Tools" have eroded to mediocrity and we're guilty of overvaluing him. Since he's blocking Garcia, what's the harm in letting him go, whether the savings wind up in player development or in management's pocket?
I'm telling you why,
Santa Claus is dead.
---Smothers Brothers
Aw, Merry Christmas anyway.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
100% with you on this, and I don't think it's pointed out enough. The philosophy has to be chance from A to AAA. Amazing how Dodgers and other teams can get nice international players and the Sox get the scraps.
Keep in mind though that the rules have changed regarding signing young international players. There is a draft now. It is no longer a free-for-all like the old days.

Don't get me wrong, it's good to have international scouts/personnel always on the search for talent. But the days where a Dodgers scout would hop from town to town and scoop up 15-20 sixteen year old kids while the rest of MLB was completely oblivious are long gone.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:27 PM
WSI Regular

TR Sullivan@Sullivan_Ranger4m
Major League sources, "don't see it" as far as a trade between the Rangers and White Sox involving Rios