White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 10:24 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35th and Shields View Post
Konerko is a known class act around the league at the end of his career and one the franchises icons. Your going to compare him to Rios? A guy who has youtube videos that show him cursing at fans and teammates calling him out for sleeping before games? The two don't compare.

Back to your point, what has Paulie done to show he's mailing it in?
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/07/sp...nted=all&_r=1&

Look at these LOSERS who nap before games.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:31 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
It's the stupid blue collar meathead mentality that seems to exist for every team in this town.

You think it's only in Chicago? Look at the way people fawn over Tim Tebow, Jeremy Lin, any random ****ty hockey player, etc. I could go on.

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 08-09-2013, 10:34 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
You know who doesn't look like he gives a **** too? Konerko
That's ****ing crap, Konerko looks like an old guy whose just not physically able to perform at his best level any more.

Your eye for talent seems to be bent on proving your predisposed hypothesis correct, for reasons I have no idea, I guess so you can pretend to be on some higher moral cloud than everyone else?

Get over it.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:35 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

You think it's only in Chicago? Look at the way people fawn over Tim Tebow, Jeremy Lin, any random ****ty hockey player, etc. I could go on.
Perhaps, not sure at what levels since I don't live in those towns.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:35 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
Because, at WSI, there is a certain grass is always greener on the other side faction that's annoying as hell.
Amen to that. It is extremely annoying.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 08-09-2013, 10:37 AM
WSI Regular

Hey, look, I'm a meathead who would rather watch a guy play hard than not play hard. I actually would rather watch an 88-win team with good guys than a 110 win team with roiders and jerks. But I do want to watch winning baseball.

If Rios' attitude were better, people would be all about keeping him to rebuild around, which just goes to show how idiotic it is to give him away for nothing just because we don't like his attitude.

If he was hitting what he's hitting, stealing the bases he's stealing, and was likable? He'd be a freaking hero. This board would melt down if we just gave him away for salary relief. There'd be screaming about how cheap Jerry Reinsdorf is.

But we don't like the way he carries himself, so he can just get lost. Unbelievable how short-sighted that is.

Last edited by XplodingScorbord; 08-09-2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Fixed first word in third paragraph from I to If.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:39 AM
WSI Prelate

Dunn has cleared waivers BTW. Unfortunately no one found it worthy of taking on the contract. Which was expected.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:39 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Perhaps, not sure at what levels since I don't live in those towns.
Have you heard of this thing called the Inter-Nets? Pretty easy to read stuff from like, the whole world now, man.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:40 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Dunn has cleared waivers BTW. Unfortunately no one found it worthy of taking on the contract. Which was expected.
They didn't want to risk getting STUCK with his contract. We might still be able to deal him if we eat some. His clearing waivers is not a bad thing. We can trade him to anyone now.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:43 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 20m

Adam Dunn clears waivers, eligible to be traded anywhere. he'll make nearly $20M thru '14 but is hot http://cbsprt.co/1exCcIn
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 08-09-2013, 10:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
They didn't want to risk getting STUCK with his contract. We might still be able to deal him if we eat some. His clearing waivers is not a bad thing. We can trade him to anyone now.
Its very good that he cleared but the Sox will have to eat quite a bit of his salary and dont much of a return. It would be basically a dump of whatever they can which is fine by me.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Konerko is a known class act around the league at the end of his career and one the franchises icons. Your going to compare him to Rios? A guy who has youtube videos that show him cursing at fans and teammates calling him out for sleeping before games? The two don't compare.

1) The YouTube video is actually showing Rios being harassed by an autograph broker who was using a kid as a front.

2) Many guys take naps before games, so that is as much a non-issue as anything.

Konerko is not dogging it, he's done. Rios dogs it at times, but he is still among the better all-around OFs in the game. If Texas doesn't want to give anything at all of worth to the Sox, then they should get nothing.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Its very tough not to be able to do things that you did very well before. Being extremely frustrated may look like mailing it in but it isnt.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
So if you were a GM and needed an OF you would rather give up a top prospect for Alex Rios than keep the top prospect and just sign one of the guys mentioned?

I really am amazed at the number of posters who want to see him patroling RF next season. I would have thought they would be more like me, the replacement is ready, the money can be used elsewhere, his attitude at times is indifferent, don't ask for too much Mr. Hahn. I just think the Sox should obviously try to max out on the return, but I see this as an opportunity for more financial flexibility, and I doubt Rios' value is going to jump much in the next year, nor do I think he is in the long term plans for this team. I do think the Sox should try to buy a prospect here, throw in some money for someone who actually may contribute someday, but the price would have to be reasonable. $4-5 million for someone in their top 3 could work. Pay the balance of this years money, they get Rios for their pennant drive for no financial cost. The Sox get a decent prospect and flexibility in the offseason.
They could use that money for their system and start competing internationally for prospects.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:54 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
You know who doesn't look like he gives a **** too? Konerko.

But no one calls him out.

Sometimes I wonder about the double standard (or other factors which I wish not to get into) here.
I do. I think we waited a year or two, to late.