White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 07:40 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
So if you were a GM and needed an OF you would rather give up a top prospect for Alex Rios than keep the top prospect and just sign one of the guys mentioned?

I really am amazed at the number of posters who want to see him patroling RF next season. I would have thought they would be more like me, the replacement is ready, the money can be used elsewhere, his attitude at times is indifferent, don't ask for too much Mr. Hahn. I just think the Sox should obviously try to max out on the return, but I see this as an opportunity for more financial flexibility, and I doubt Rios' value is going to jump much in the next year, nor do I think he is in the long term plans for this team. I do think the Sox should try to buy a prospect here, throw in some money for someone who actually may contribute someday, but the price would have to be reasonable. $4-5 million for someone in their top 3 could work. Pay the balance of this years money, they get Rios for their pennant drive for no financial cost. The Sox get a decent prospect and flexibility in the offseason.
Another concern on kepping Rios is how many other outfielders become available on the trade market next year. Hopefully Rios is the best player available on waivers right now, but we don't know that for sure. But even if he is, that does not make him the best available next winter when every team looking to upgrade may have an outfielder available. So Hahn needs to try and determine if Rios value right now is as good as it is going to get from a prospect standpoint.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:49 AM
WSI Regular

There are several different aspects that lead me to believe that Rios should be moved:

1) Even though rosters expand to 40 on Sept. 1, Hahn has said Garcia will be here at least by then. They want to give him regular AB's, and that's why he's in AAA. Why not give him the same when he is up with the club? Tank needs to be out there. I can't imagine PK, Dunn, or Rios sitting (at least quietly). So, move Rios and clear the room for Garcia.

2) We got him for nothing. Now is not a time to get greedy when Rios does not fit into the long term plan. Send him to Texas for nothing if need be.

3) The money saved could go into multiple other facets of the organization for improvement. We have Rios' replacement. Spend the money elsewhere upgrading other needs, i.e. 3B, 1B, C, etc.

I was excited when he obtained Rios, especially for not having to give up any prospects. However, the time to move on is now. I think he's frustrated with the club and is showing it on the field. Thank you, Alex, for your years on the Southside and good luck in Arlington...
Old 08-09-2013, 07:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
So if you were a GM and needed an OF you would rather give up a top prospect for Alex Rios than keep the top prospect and just sign one of the guys mentioned?

I really am amazed at the number of posters who want to see him patroling RF next season. I would have thought they would be more like me, the replacement is ready, the money can be used elsewhere, his attitude at times is indifferent, don't ask for too much Mr. Hahn. I just think the Sox should obviously try to max out on the return, but I see this as an opportunity for more financial flexibility, and I doubt Rios' value is going to jump much in the next year, nor do I think he is in the long term plans for this team. I do think the Sox should try to buy a prospect here, throw in some money for someone who actually may contribute someday, but the price would have to be reasonable. $4-5 million for someone in their top 3 could work. Pay the balance of this years money, they get Rios for their pennant drive for no financial cost. The Sox get a decent prospect and flexibility in the offseason.
I've said my piece so I didn't feel much need to jump back into this thread, but I'll address this because you're changing the argument now. No one is saying we're going to get a "top prospect." Talk of getting someone like Profar for Rios is far-fetched. You won't find me saying that anywhere in my posts. But there is a huge gap between getting a top prospect and letting a guy walk for no compensation whatsoever.

I don't think the second paragraph was directed at me so I won't respond. But again I think you're changing the argument - I don't see many people arguing that he should be back next year.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:21 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Sox fans just amaze me.

They would build statues for bum ass "folk heroes" like an Aaron Rowand but fail to see true 5 tool talent in a guy like Alex Rios.
But, but, but - he ran into a wall! Grinder! Rios dogs it!

This is why Bears fans are a bunch of meatheads.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-09-2013, 08:22 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
You won't even get a Top 100 prospect.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:43 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
You won't even get a Top 100 prospect.
I think you may be correct. But I would be concerned that if Rios stays and dogs it for the rest of the year, Hahn ends up next winter giving him away for a kid like the ones sitting on the couch in Animal House.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:52 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
But, but, but - he ran into a wall! Grinder! Rios dogs it!

This is why Bears fans are a bunch of meatheads.
I hate cheering for guys who try hard too.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:17 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
It's the stupid blue collar meathead mentality that seems to exist for every team in this town.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:23 AM
WSI Regular

I say let Rios go. Yes, he's a five tool player, but only when he wants to be. As of now, I believe we wants to be somewhere else. His value may currently be at a high, as who becomes available later could change the equation.

Earlier in the year, I read so many posts about blowing up the team and starting from scratch. Now we're arguing about keeping a player who has a proven track record of dogging it not only here, but elsewhere. Don't think this hasn't been noted by other GM's.

If we get a decent prospect, good for us, but don't hold your breath. I'd just as soon see him move on to help close this ugly chapter. Even if we would have to eat a portion of all of his salary for a decent prospect, I feel it would be a positive move as nobody really believes he will be back next year.

If we do have to eat Rios salary, is there a 1st base prospect out there we could shoot for? This talk of moving Viciedo to 1st is scary.

Previously, I stated in another thread that I was so sick of this team that I couldn't follow it. That I might only check back in after the trade deadline. That being said and done, back to the shadows. Depending on future unfolding events, my best to all.

Anxious for the M Go Blue season.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:30 AM
WSI High Priest

I agree that Rios's image took a big hit recently among Sox fans who are still paying attention due to the incident that Robin benched him for...but they are letting that cloud their rational assessment of his value.

I believe that Rosenthal said he was the 5th best WAR for rightfielders since the start of 2012....hey,gang, that is a valuable player for a contender who has just lost their best hitter, in Cruz.

Texas has already invested a huge amount in payroll,and they have tons of money from their tv deal...like 250-300 million/yr.
So the money is no object to them.
They have come close to winning a WS,but have just missed.
There are jobs at stake for them to make the playoffs again this year.
Daniels is desperate not to be aced out of at least the wildcard this year,after the A's have pantsed them twice now,with a fraction of the payroll.

The Rangers are desperate for a hitter. Rios is a five tool player who would be their best outfielder immediately.

If the Rangers do not come up with a decent package...screw them.
The Sox can get a bad deal in the offseason,and that would cost them 4 million to keep him around this season. He is our best hitting outfielder,so that is not a bad thing. Sit PK and have Tank play first,with Garcia in center or left....problem solved.

Hahn can show me something here...they are over the barrel...hammer them.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:31 AM
WSI Personality

Does anyone know the current rules for letting a free agent go and getting a draft pick from whoever signs him?

These 5 tools everyone talks about Rios having are mediocre tools at best. Hahn should bargain hard here in the next 48 hours, but if he can't even get a top 100 prospect, why not just let him go?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:31 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
Results, results, results. Give me a guy with Rios' numbers who dogs it over a guy who hits .240/5/45 but plays his heart out.

This is the Cutler argument, too. Just crazy.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:32 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
It's the stupid blue collar meathead mentality that seems to exist for every team in this town.
Which, IMO, plays a part in the city generally being willing to accept mediocrity from its teams. Generally.

"I'd rather lose a game and play hard than showboat and/or loaf and win!"

This isn't little league.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:41 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Which, IMO, plays a part in the city generally being willing to accept mediocrity from its teams. Generally.

"I'd rather lose a game and play hard than showboat and/or loaf and win!"

This isn't little league.
I don't buy that. Most Sox were fine with Alex last year because we were winning. It's the combination of us now losing and Rios legitimately looking like he doesn't give a **** that rubs people the wrong way. If we were leading the division nobody would have an issue with Rios.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Yeah I hate blue collar people too. It's a good thing they are being phased out of existence. They are unruly, unhip and drink decaf instead of the most expensive starbucks latte. Chicago really sucked when neighborhoods like Belmont Cragin and West Lawn were full of them. As for Rowand, yeah he stunk too. Lousy ball player and repulsive personality. I don't know why they let him have a WS ring. Grinders are like blue collar people. Wish they would all go away.