White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 01:19 AM
New At WSI

Default 1990s pitching

So I am 31 years old. I used to often wonder(and my dad as well) why as a kid I never liked pitching. The other day I was skimming over the pitchers of the White Sox during the 90s, and I honestly couldn't remember most of them at all.

The first Sox pitcher I really liked was Mark Buehrle, in 2000! It took until I was 18 before I really liked a pitcher. Maybe I was just a kid with his head up his rear, but maybe you guys could provide me some anecdotes of great Sox pitching during that era? To date I think this year has had some of the best staring pitchers I've personally ever seen on the Sox.

My shameful lack of 2005 Sox knowledge can only be relegated to box scores at this point, but that is an entirely different story.

Last edited by kenfinan; 08-09-2013 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Grammar Derps
Old 08-09-2013, 01:57 AM
WSI Personality

Wilson threw his no-no in 1990, I believe.

Black Jack anchored our rotation in the early 90s. Lots of great moments. He won 59 games from 91-93 and pitched over 750 innings over that time. Wow!

Jason Bere won 24 of his first 31 decisions and looked like he was going to be a mainstay for a decade to come. Shame he got hurt.

Might as well mention Alex Fernandez as well. These four guys made up a hell of a foursome for those back to back division title-winning teams. Still bummed to this day that we were robbed of a White Sox postseason in 1994. Sox-Expos would have been a hell of a WS.

I'll refrain from mentioning those late nineties teams because, well, if you were around during the John Snyder/Jaime Navarro days you know that that wound needs to remain covered for perpetuity.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:08 AM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
Wilson threw his no-no in 1990, I believe.
August 1991 against the Rangers, in his second MLB game.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:10 AM
New At WSI

Early 90s for me.. lots of moving, broken home, little to no baseball. Seems I missed out on some great talent :( Now that I'm older I won't ever let that happen again.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:57 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
I believe Alvarez was acquired from the Rangers, but his no-hitter was thrown against the Orioles.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I believe Alvarez was acquired from the Rangers, but his no-hitter was thrown against the Orioles.
Correct. And, if I remember correctly, it was the last no-hitter at old Memorial Stadium in Baltimore.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:28 AM
WSI Personality

Speed, pitching and defense was Torborg's mantra. It's still a winning formula today.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:36 AM
MMXXIII

As was mentioned, the early '90s pitching was great; Black Jack, Alex Fernandez, Wilson Alvarez, Jason Bere... ****, how depressing those guys only won one lousy division title.

Late '90s was pretty brutal, though my favorite for no particular reason was Mike Sirotka. I still have a jersey of his. The 2000 Sox had a great ride thanks to some career years from Sirotka, James Baldwin, Jim Parque, and most surprisingly, Cal Eldred. I still have no idea how those guys won 90+ games.

Don Cooper has been in the White Sox organization since 1998 and became the MLB Pitching Coach in 2002 and since then, I think the Sox have had some tremendous talent. The '05 team was spectacular, the only had 6 guys make a start all season long. That is insane. But even then it seems like they've turned a real corner at developing arms. Guys like Quintana and Santiago are real keepers. A decade ago, the Sox were promoting guys like Gary Glover, Josh Stewart, David Sanders, Mike Porzio, and Jon Adkins out of their minor league system. So in that regard, things are better.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:18 AM
WSI Prelate

I was big on Roberto Hernandez.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:23 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
As was mentioned, the early '90s pitching was great; Black Jack, Alex Fernandez, Wilson Alvarez, Jason Bere... ****, how depressing those guys only won one lousy division title.

Late '90s was pretty brutal, though my favorite for no particular reason was Mike Sirotka. I still have a jersey of his. The 2000 Sox had a great ride thanks to some career years from Sirotka, James Baldwin, Jim Parque, and most surprisingly, Cal Eldred. I still have no idea how those guys won 90+ games.

Don Cooper has been in the White Sox organization since 1998 and became the MLB Pitching Coach in 2002 and since then, I think the Sox have had some tremendous talent. The '05 team was spectacular, the only had 6 guys make a start all season long. That is insane. But even then it seems like they've turned a real corner at developing arms. Guys like Quintana and Santiago are real keepers. A decade ago, the Sox were promoting guys like Gary Glover, Josh Stewart, David Sanders, Mike Porzio, and Jon Adkins out of their minor league system. So in that regard, things are better.
Pretty much. The Sox have done a pretty good job developing pitchers.

Now, position players...
Old 08-09-2013, 01:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
It was against the Orioles in Baltimore. I would know because I was there, the only time I've been to a game in Baltimore. Being a huge Baines fan as a kid, I was crushed when they traded him. Never felt better about it until that day. It was his Sox debut, I believe his first ML start came more than a year before.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltrain21 View Post
I was big on Roberto Hernandez.
Even though I had only been a Sox fan for about a year, I was still bummed about him and Alvarez being traded, even if I didn't watch a lot of games. I knew they were valuable, so that White Flag Trade was a tough pill to swallow even at 8.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I think it was against Baltimore.

Go Sox!!!
Old 08-09-2013, 04:24 PM
WSI Regular

Alvarez's no-hitter was August 11, 1991 against the Orioles. It was the 7th win in a row for the Sox and they had won 15 out of 17. They were a game behind the Twins and closing.

I was 16 years old and convinced after the game the Sox were a team of destiny. A new park they were filling... Thomas having an MVP caliber season... Ventura hit a walk-off grand slam against the Rangers a week earlier and I had been at the game (best sporting event I have ever attended, including the black out game)... now you bring up a rookie who goes out and throws a no-hitter? No way this team doesn't win it all- it's a magical story.

Then they lost 15 of the next 17 and were 9 games out by the end of August.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:39 AM
New At WSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
Alvarez's no-hitter was August 11, 1991 against the Orioles. It was the 7th win in a row for the Sox and they had won 15 out of 17. They were a game behind the Twins and closing.

I was 16 years old and convinced after the game the Sox were a team of destiny. A new park they were filling... Thomas having an MVP caliber season... Ventura hit a walk-off grand slam against the Rangers a week earlier and I had been at the game (best sporting event I have ever attended, including the black out game)... now you bring up a rookie who goes out and throws a no-hitter? No way this team doesn't win it all- it's a magical story.

Then they lost 15 of the next 17 and were 9 games out by the end of August.
The video of that Grand Slam by Ventura, I won't ever tire of it.