White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 12:24 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Sox fans just amaze me.

They would build statues for bum ass "folk heroes" like an Aaron Rowand but fail to see true 5 tool talent in a guy like Alex Rios.

Look, I'm all for trading the guy to rebuild this team. Same way I was all for trading away Jake Peavy. But wake the **** up. Alex Rios, even at the current price tag, is an asset for this team. You just don't give him away.

One thing I appreciate about Hahn is that he's not looking to make moves just to appease the (stupid) masses.
How did you feel the first 2 years he was here? Be honest. 90% on this site hated him and wanted him gone. Now they want something for this clown? Be glad he's gone and we don't have a player who plays when he feels like it.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

If the Sox think they can get a player with similar production for less $ in 14, let him go. If the can't get what they want from the Rangers, rescind the waiver. If they legit want to keep him, keep him.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:40 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRob View Post
How did you feel the first 2 years he was here? Be honest. 90% on this site hated him and wanted him gone. Now they want something for this clown? Be glad he's gone and we don't have a player who plays when he feels like it.

I hope you dont mind if I put my two cents here. I thought he was one of the best Sox centerfielders to play in my lifetime when he came here and even started a poll here and didnt get any disagreements. The thing that frustrates me is that he is so damn talented and could in my eyes be a premier player. Its been a very long time since the Sox have had a 5 tool outfielder. I'm drawing a blank when the last one was. Bo Jackson was but not with the Sox.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:41 AM
WSI Personality

Honestly does it really matter if we do a salary dump or keep him?

Either way its not going to make or break the future of the team. Rios is good and has had a solid two years. But he's not some huge impact player who is going to carry this team all by himself. If his money can get us a better team then I have no problems letting him walk. If it can't I have no problems keeping him.

Its just one decision in a rebuilding process.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:49 AM
New At WSI

As a layman I think Rios should just be kept for now. Let the Sox try to have their fun for the rest of the season, and give some of these prospects a few starts to get some experience.

Do some major trades in the offseason if needed, but I don't think Rios will garner a lot of value right now, despite his talent. From what I can gather, the vibe right now is that hes too expensive and teams aren't going to budge.

Just a hunch.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRob View Post
He's had one bad year here from the 4 so far.

Has been solid near All star level the other 3.

Not sure how this guy is looked at as a "clown."

I can go up and down the rosters we have had the last 4 years a name you plenty of true clown ahead of this guy.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:52 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
Allocate the money towards scouting and development. No FA nonsense.
This. The sox are gonna be bad next year, I don't want to see any of this money used on FA's unless they are roster fillers to get you through the season.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:19 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I hope you dont mind if I put my two cents here. I thought he was one of the best Sox centerfielders to play in my lifetime when he came here and even started a poll here and didnt get any disagreements. The thing that frustrates me is that he is so damn talented and could in my eyes be a premier player. Its been a very long time since the Sox have had a 5 tool outfielder. I'm drawing a blank when the last one was. Bo Jackson was but not with the Sox.
And that is exactly why I think we should just let him go. I think most are scared he's going to excel with the Rangers maybe, he has a better line up around him. But since he's been here, he plays when he wants to. I think the league is aware of that to. I agree with the last few posters, if you can wrangle a midlevel prospect fine, if not see ya. Then you can use that money to nab Granderson while he'll be on the cheap or some other lead off type hitter.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
He's had one bad year here from the 4 so far.

Has been solid near All star level the other 3.

Not sure how this guy is looked at as a "clown."

I can go up and down the rosters we have had the last 4 years a name you plenty of true clown ahead of this guy.
And he's near the leader of the pack. And a talent that is lazy and get disinterested.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:31 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
Aaron Rowand 5 years with White Sox: .283/.337/.451 + WS title (total salary with Sox- about $3M)

Alex Rios 5 years with White Sox: .269/.310/.430 + 0 playoff games (total salary with Sox- about $45M + $17M owed)
Why did you leave out HRs and RBIs?
Old 08-09-2013, 01:38 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post

And stolen bases.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:39 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
RBI and HR's for a season aren't that much different. Rios never hit 27 in a season.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:19 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock07 View Post
This. The sox are gonna be bad next year, I don't want to see any of this money used on FA's unless they are roster fillers to get you through the season.
I disagree. If someone is available now that fits into the future plan - ex the catcher you want for the future.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:34 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over By There View Post
Lets look for just a moment at the premise that no one would possibly be interested in Alex Rios this offseason, because that seems to be the primary argument of those that think we should let him go now with no return. I don't know if the list of available FA outfielders posted earlier in this thread is accurate or exhaustive, but these are the names that were listed, as reasons that Alex Rios would not be desirable to a team looking for an outfielder: "Choo, Nelson Cruz, Ellsbury, McClouth, Pence, Granderson, and Corey Hart." Let's just take a second and look at this list more closely.

Choo is a good player. But is he significantly better than Rios? Choo is hitting .283 with 15 HR and 12 SB. Rios' respective numbers are .277, 12 and 26. Choo is a good player, but he is going to easily command over $10M a year anyway, and his numbers aren't much better than Rios.

Nelson Cruz can be a great hitter. But he is an admitted doper and has fought injuries.

Nate McLouth is garbage. Corey Hart has had one or two decent years and has otherwise primarily been injured.

Curtis Granderson is intriguing but has missed most of this season with injuries, and when he's played this year he's put together a .217 average.

Hunter Pence's numbers, again, are really not that different than Rios'. He's hitting .275 with 14 HRs and 17 SB.

So that leaves Ellsbury, who is clearly an elite leadoff man and will deserve the attention he gets. But that doesn't mean Alex Rios is worthless.

This is what annoys me, frankly. Several people in this thread have it in their head that Rios is worthless, and should be given away. That simply is not accurate. Look over that list above and tell me which outfielders you'd clearly rather have on your team over Alex Rios. Ellsbury, sure. But then where do you find significantly more production?

This whole thing, to me, reeks of meatheadedness. Dah, dat Alex Rios plays like he don't care - get rid of da bum! Dah, Toronto didn't want dat guy and Kenny Williams got stuck with him 'cause he's an idiot! This is our chance to get out!

Listen, Rios has frustrated me at times, too. But when you look at the situation objectively, there is no reason to rush to give him away right now. Thats the only thing I'm arguing. Look at the list above again - there will be a market for Rios this offseason. Right now the Rangers are a little bit over the barrel - don't help them out, as Hawk would say.
So if you were a GM and needed an OF you would rather give up a top prospect for Alex Rios than keep the top prospect and just sign one of the guys mentioned?

I really am amazed at the number of posters who want to see him patroling RF next season. I would have thought they would be more like me, the replacement is ready, the money can be used elsewhere, his attitude at times is indifferent, don't ask for too much Mr. Hahn. I just think the Sox should obviously try to max out on the return, but I see this as an opportunity for more financial flexibility, and I doubt Rios' value is going to jump much in the next year, nor do I think he is in the long term plans for this team. I do think the Sox should try to buy a prospect here, throw in some money for someone who actually may contribute someday, but the price would have to be reasonable. $4-5 million for someone in their top 3 could work. Pay the balance of this years money, they get Rios for their pennant drive for no financial cost. The Sox get a decent prospect and flexibility in the offseason.

Last edited by dickallen15; 08-09-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
So if you were a GM and needed an OF you would rather give up a top prospect for Alex Rios than keep the top prospect and just sign one of the guys mentioned?

I really am amazed at the number of posters who want to see him patroling RF next season. I would have thought they would be more like me, the replacement is ready, the money can be used elsewhere, his attitude at times is indifferent, don't ask for too much Mr. Hahn. I just think the Sox should obviously try to max out on the return, but I see this as an opportunity for more financial flexibility, and I doubt Rios' value is going to jump much in the next year, nor do I think he is in the long term plans for this team.
I don't think many of us want to see Rios in RF next year, those of us against the dump don't want the Sox to make a poor baseball move. We have to get something decent in return for one of our better assets.

And this idea that Jerry would take the savings from a Rios dump and invest it in the draft, international free agents, spend big in FA (after getting burned in 2010) and otherwise spend big in player development that he hasn't done in the 30+ years he's owned the club, I have to ask, what are you smoking??