White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 08-08-2013, 06:39 PM
ZombieRob ZombieRob is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Braunfels Texas
Posts: 7,096
Default

Plus getting a High pick next year you can use that for bonus money. They may need it
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 08-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Over By There's Avatar
Over By There Over By There is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Red Stick
Posts: 3,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltrain21 View Post
Well, he makes like 15 million next year, too.
I was addressing the comment that the Sox "might as well" just save the remainder of the money due Rios this year. My point is that the Sox still have plenty of time to deal with the $15M due Rios next year, if they don't want him back. This whole, "we have to get rid of him now, at any cost!" sentiment is just silly, IMO.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 08-08-2013, 07:03 PM
dickallen15 dickallen15 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,917
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over By There View Post
I was addressing the comment that the Sox "might as well" just save the remainder of the money due Rios this year. My point is that the Sox still have plenty of time to deal with the $15M due Rios next year, if they don't want him back. This whole, "we have to get rid of him now, at any cost!" sentiment is just silly, IMO.
And that comment was in response to the post that stated the could give him away this winter.

They don't have to get rid of him, but they should.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 08-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 5,273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99
We have to get something for him, how does a dump with nothing in return help the rebuild?
From what I can gather, the total savings would be $17+ million ($4+ million for the rest of 2013, $12.5 million for 2014, and the $1 million buyout for 2015.) Why waste those financial resources on a team that is rebuilding? I'm perfectly fine with Hahn getting what he can and saving the money. Hopefully someone claims Dunn, too.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and letís fight tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 08-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltrain21 View Post
well, he makes like 15 million next year, too.
$12.5m
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 08-08-2013, 07:47 PM
lpneck lpneck is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
If they wait until the offseason, it is highly likely that nobody is going to pick him up then and pay all of his contract as there will be better OF opportunities available fro less than what Rios makes.. The Sox have an opportunity now to dump that deal rather than wait for the winter to trade him for a few weak prospects and chip in cash to boot.
+1 zillion.

This is the only chance to get rid of him until the 2014 trade deadline. There will be no takers in the off season. Why would a team trade for $13.5M of Rios when they could just sign a better FA who would probably be cheaper?

I do agree with other posters that I think the White Sox should be willing to pay part of the salary if that's what it takes to get prospects in return, but I think it's crazy to think the Sox are going to get 17.5M in salary relief AND prospects.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 08-08-2013, 07:57 PM
ND_Sox_Fan ND_Sox_Fan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Manhattan, NY
Posts: 1,178
Default

JIM BOWDEN (@JimBowdenESPNxm)
White Sox are not getting Perez, Jackson or Odor for Rios but if price drops to Nick Martinez it could get done...tick tick tick tock


Thoughts?
__________________
Nate
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 08-08-2013, 08:08 PM
PaleHoser PaleHoser is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 946
Default

Garcia needs a place to play. If he wasn't here, I'd feel differently.

Rios needs to go, even if it's just a giveaway. $17M due to Rios can go toward two pieces for next year. I would grade this deal based on what they get in the off-season with that money.
__________________
"It's not the high price of stardom that bothers me...it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 08-08-2013, 08:17 PM
SoxSpeed22 SoxSpeed22 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,802
Default

I'm in no hurry.
I'm in no hurry to get rid of Rios for a ****ty deal and I'm in no hurry to get Garcia here before September. I would like to get the best possible deal, and I am pleased to see Hahn aiming high, but ultimately, I think a B-/B type of guy is probably the best we will be able to do for Rios if we trade him in the offseason.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 08-08-2013, 08:22 PM
KRS1 KRS1 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 16,850
Default

Where do you guys actually think these tens of millions of dollars we're shedding is actually going to be spent? Does anyone actually believe we have even a snowball's chance in hell of luring Ellsbury to this rebuilding franchise, or that we would ever put up the years and money it would actually take to bring him into such a situation? Do you want to spend that on a bunch of overpriced, mediocre fillers to help us battle it out for maybe third place in our own division? Would we see even half those eight figures that we've already shed funneled into the draft, scouting and international market?
__________________
People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 08-08-2013, 08:22 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,094
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltrain21 View Post
Well, he makes like 15 million next year, too.
Obviously he meant give him away to Texas for nothing right now
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 08-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Over By There's Avatar
Over By There Over By There is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Red Stick
Posts: 3,786
Default

Lets look for just a moment at the premise that no one would possibly be interested in Alex Rios this offseason, because that seems to be the primary argument of those that think we should let him go now with no return. I don't know if the list of available FA outfielders posted earlier in this thread is accurate or exhaustive, but these are the names that were listed, as reasons that Alex Rios would not be desirable to a team looking for an outfielder: "Choo, Nelson Cruz, Ellsbury, McClouth, Pence, Granderson, and Corey Hart." Let's just take a second and look at this list more closely.

Choo is a good player. But is he significantly better than Rios? Choo is hitting .283 with 15 HR and 12 SB. Rios' respective numbers are .277, 12 and 26. Choo is a good player, but he is going to easily command over $10M a year anyway, and his numbers aren't much better than Rios.

Nelson Cruz can be a great hitter. But he is an admitted doper and has fought injuries.

Nate McLouth is garbage. Corey Hart has had one or two decent years and has otherwise primarily been injured.

Curtis Granderson is intriguing but has missed most of this season with injuries, and when he's played this year he's put together a .217 average.

Hunter Pence's numbers, again, are really not that different than Rios'. He's hitting .275 with 14 HRs and 17 SB.

So that leaves Ellsbury, who is clearly an elite leadoff man and will deserve the attention he gets. But that doesn't mean Alex Rios is worthless.

This is what annoys me, frankly. Several people in this thread have it in their head that Rios is worthless, and should be given away. That simply is not accurate. Look over that list above and tell me which outfielders you'd clearly rather have on your team over Alex Rios. Ellsbury, sure. But then where do you find significantly more production?

This whole thing, to me, reeks of meatheadedness. Dah, dat Alex Rios plays like he don't care - get rid of da bum! Dah, Toronto didn't want dat guy and Kenny Williams got stuck with him 'cause he's an idiot! This is our chance to get out!

Listen, Rios has frustrated me at times, too. But when you look at the situation objectively, there is no reason to rush to give him away right now. Thats the only thing I'm arguing. Look at the list above again - there will be a market for Rios this offseason. Right now the Rangers are a little bit over the barrel - don't help them out, as Hawk would say.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 08-08-2013, 08:35 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,924
Blog Entries: 2
Default

No reason to give him away. He's signed for 1 year at 14 million. Not bad at all for his production.
just because we need Garcia to play doesn't mean you start giving away players.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 08-08-2013, 08:38 PM
KRS1 KRS1 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 16,850
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over By There View Post
Lets look for just a moment at the premise that no one would possibly be interested in Alex Rios this offseason, because that seems to be the primary argument of those that think we should let him go now with no return. I don't know if the list of available FA outfielders posted earlier in this thread is accurate or exhaustive, but these are the names that were listed, as reasons that Alex Rios would not be desirable to a team looking for an outfielder: "Choo, Nelson Cruz, Ellsbury, McClouth, Pence, Granderson, and Corey Hart." Let's just take a second and look at this list more closely.

Choo is a good player. But is he significantly better than Rios? Choo is hitting .283 with 15 HR and 12 SB. Rios' respective numbers are .277, 12 and 26. Choo is a good player, but he is going to easily command over $10M a year anyway, and his numbers aren't much better than Rios.

Nelson Cruz can be a great hitter. But he is an admitted doper and has fought injuries.

Nate McLouth is garbage. Corey Hart has had one or two decent years and has otherwise primarily been injured.

Curtis Granderson is intriguing but has missed most of this season with injuries, and when he's played this year he's put together a .217 average.

Hunter Pence's numbers, again, are really not that different than Rios'. He's hitting .275 with 14 HRs and 17 SB.

So that leaves Ellsbury, who is clearly an elite leadoff man and will deserve the attention he gets. But that doesn't mean Alex Rios is worthless.

This is what annoys me, frankly. Several people in this thread have it in their head that Rios is worthless, and should be given away. That simply is not accurate. Look over that list above and tell me which outfielders you'd clearly rather have on your team over Alex Rios. Ellsbury, sure. But then where do you find significantly more production?

This whole thing, to me, reeks of meatheadedness. Dah, dat Alex Rios plays like he don't care - get rid of da bum! Dah, Toronto didn't want dat guy and Kenny Williams got stuck with him 'cause he's an idiot! This is our chance to get out!

Listen, Rios has frustrated me at times, too. But when you look at the situation objectively, there is no reason to rush to give him away right now. Thats the only thing I'm arguing. Look at the list above again - there will be a market for Rios this offseason. Right now the Rangers are a little bit over the barrel - don't help them out, as Hawk would say.
What this guy said.^^^
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 08-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
Garcia needs a place to play. If he wasn't here, I'd feel differently.
The outfield can be Rios, DeAza, Garcia. DH/1B, Dunn, Viciedo. Paul can play on his retirement day this year.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.