White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #376  
Old 07-30-2013, 02:12 PM
Jerko Jerko is offline
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 10,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
Just gotta laugh at this stuff.

I got the email just now about the survey. I click the link - "survey is closed".

You can't make this stuff up.
Same here.
__________________
Playoffs? PLAYoffs?
Reply With Quote
  #377  
Old 07-30-2013, 08:10 PM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 5,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerko View Post
Same here.
Me as well-
__________________
TomBradley72
http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/334c0314
2014 Record: 2-3
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Reply With Quote
  #378  
Old 07-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Parrothead Parrothead is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: oak forest
Posts: 2,345
Default

I was able to fill out my survey.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #379  
Old 07-31-2013, 10:26 AM
Golden Sox Golden Sox is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oswego, Illinois
Posts: 782
Default Chicago Baseball Museum

The Sun Times reported in todays paper that the Chicago Baseball Museum is going to be built in Whiting Indiana. I find it odd that a Chicago Baseball Museum would be built in Indiana. I know they have had a hard time finding a location for it. But still, are Chicago baseball fans going to go to Indiana? Whiting is a small town (5,000 people) thats 16 miles from the Chicago Loop. I would make a guess that Whiting was probably the least costly place for the Museum. With all the criticism the Cell gets for its lack of things to do around the park, wouldn't it of made more sense to build the Baseball Museum somewhere near the Cell? People can say that the Cubs fans wouldn't go to any Baseball Museum near the Cell, but I'm wondering if anybody will go to Whiting Indiana. Alot of museums are built away from the human race and most of these museums struggle financially because of that. I went to the Ted Williams Museum after it opened in Citrus Hills Florida a few years ago. The museum was great. They did a wonderful job building it. The problem was it was built in the middle of nowhere a couple of hours outside of Tampa. Sure enough nobody went there and they closed it. I've often wondered what they did with the building after they closed the museum. I read a couple of days ago how the MLB HOF in Cooperstown had its worse attendance in 2012. They think the attendance will even be lower in 2013. I've always thought the BB HOF would be drawing more people if it wasn't built in upstate New York.
Reply With Quote
  #380  
Old 07-31-2013, 10:33 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is online now
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,179
Blog Entries: 5
Default

The Sun-Times article (available online) doesn't say they are definitely building the museum in Whiting, it says they are doing a feasibility study. I think the Whiting idea is a bit far fetched, too, even though it would be part of a larger lakefront redevelopment, the Indiana lakefront is really, really unpleasant until you are well past Gary...

That said, no, it wouldn't make any sense to put the museum anywhere near the Cell, as long as the Sox insist on blighting the neighborhood with their empty lots, Bridgeport is unlikely to be a major draw for anything.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #381  
Old 07-31-2013, 05:50 PM
chisoxfanatic's Avatar
chisoxfanatic chisoxfanatic is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Brent Seabrook's guest room
Posts: 25,839
Blog Entries: 1
Default

I have read plenty of complaints about the concession stands and how they are run at Comiskey, and I do have to agree with the basic premise of them. I haven't been to a game this season. But, I do recall it being so crappy last year, as well as in several previous years beforehand. Last September, I went to a game where there couldn't have been more than 20k there, and I missed 2 innings when I was in line at the grill.

A week and a half ago, I went to Coors Field, and the attendance that game was over double what the Sox typically get. Every stand was open, and they really do things well at all stands. Instead of completing the entire transaction behind the counter, the Rockies do it a different, much more efficient way. There are a few workers behind the counter. When the next worker is ready, they take and make your order. You then take all of your purchases to the pay stand (which is outside the concession stand), and they ring up your order. I was standing in line at the grill thinking I'd be waiting a while. But, longer lines than I have been in at Comiskey took less than 25% of the time to complete at Coors. I only missed one batter by the time I returned to my seat.

Coors also has better food and more options. I also like the fact that the entire upper concourse is open, so you can get great views everywhere. They even have picnic tables set up near a railing, and you can see the Denver skyline from them (see photo). It would be nice if they could open things up a little more at Comiskey, at least on the 3B side of the 500 level, where fans can see the skyline. Right now, fans can only see the skyline if they go to the area on top of the ramps.

At Coors, the Stadium Club is not some exclusive place. You don't have to have season tickets or have connections with people who do (or get them online if they are available). Any fan can make reservations to the SC restaurant so long as they do so a couple days before and can prove they have a game ticket.

At Coors, you can get outfield bleacher seats above the batter's eye for $4 every game (those same seats are $1 if you're a child, serviceman, or senior citizen)!

The video board there at Coors was much better than the collection of what we have at Comiskey. It was also unobstructed and can be viewed from everywhere (see photo).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2322.jpg (103.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2323.jpg (98.8 KB, 33 views)
__________________
2014-2015 Blackhawks Attendance Record: 4-0-1 (Next Game: 10/28 vs. Anaheim Ducks)

23 Other Games I have (all season tickets):
11/1 @ Toronto Maple Leafs, 11/2 vs. Winnipeg, 11/7 vs. Washington, 11/9 vs. San Jose, 11/16 vs. Dallas, 12/5 vs. Montreal, 12/16 vs. Minnesota, 12/21 vs. Toronto, 12/23 vs. Winnipeg, 1/4 vs. Dallas, 1/6 vs. Colorado, 1/16 vs. Winnipeg, 1/18 vs. Dallas, 1/20 vs. Arizona, 2/9 vs. Arizona, 2/11 vs. Vancouver, 2/20 vs. Colorado, 2/22 vs. Boston, 3/6 vs. Edmonton, 3/17 vs. New York Islanders, 3/27 vs. Columbus, 3/30 vs. Los Angeles, 4/2 vs. Vancouver
Reply With Quote
  #382  
Old 07-31-2013, 10:10 PM
Milw Milw is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Naperville
Posts: 946
Default

Visited Dodger Stafium for the first time last week. Two trips to concession stands resulted in a combined total of four missed at-bats.

It can be done.
Reply With Quote
  #383  
Old 07-31-2013, 11:02 PM
TaylorStSox TaylorStSox is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington & Talman
Posts: 4,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post
Instead of completing the entire transaction behind the counter, the Rockies do it a different, much more efficient way. There are a few workers behind the counter. When the next worker is ready, they take and make your order. You then take all of your purchases to the pay stand (which is outside the concession stand), and they ring up your order. I was standing in line at the grill thinking I'd be waiting a while.
Yeah, not going to happen anywhere in Chicago.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Reply With Quote
  #384  
Old 08-01-2013, 07:16 AM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 5,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
The Sun Times reported in todays paper that the Chicago Baseball Museum is going to be built in Whiting Indiana. I find it odd that a Chicago Baseball Museum would be built in Indiana. I know they have had a hard time finding a location for it. But still, are Chicago baseball fans going to go to Indiana? Whiting is a small town (5,000 people) thats 16 miles from the Chicago Loop. I would make a guess that Whiting was probably the least costly place for the Museum. With all the criticism the Cell gets for its lack of things to do around the park, wouldn't it of made more sense to build the Baseball Museum somewhere near the Cell? People can say that the Cubs fans wouldn't go to any Baseball Museum near the Cell, but I'm wondering if anybody will go to Whiting Indiana. Alot of museums are built away from the human race and most of these museums struggle financially because of that. I went to the Ted Williams Museum after it opened in Citrus Hills Florida a few years ago. The museum was great. They did a wonderful job building it. The problem was it was built in the middle of nowhere a couple of hours outside of Tampa. Sure enough nobody went there and they closed it. I've often wondered what they did with the building after they closed the museum. I read a couple of days ago how the MLB HOF in Cooperstown had its worse attendance in 2012. They think the attendance will even be lower in 2013. I've always thought the BB HOF would be drawing more people if it wasn't built in upstate New York.
This could be an intersesting opportunity with a little creativity and vision- a Chicago Baseball Museum- maybe integrated with a White Sox Hall of Fame section/wing- attach a bar/restaurant- put it on 35th west of the ballpark- give up some parking spaces-
Reply With Quote
  #385  
Old 09-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Mr. Jinx Mr. Jinx is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 788
Default

Figured this was good enough to bring back after my visit to the park tonight.

2 things:

1. I visited some friends in the UD around the middle of the game tonight. I took the far RF ramp up to get there. As I walked from the end of the ramp to their seats behind home plate, I noticed that all the vendors were closed off. Now that makes perfect sense to me as there were very few people sitting past the base paths. What I couldn't believe was that not only were the vendors closed off, but most of the lights were shut off too in the corners. I felt like I was walking down a dark alley to get to home plate. Are the Sox in such dire straights that they can't even keep the ****ing lights on throughout the open areas of the park?

2. As I was leaving the park after the fireworks I saw the following. There was a little old lady wandering toward the ramps. The ushers told her she needed to leave now down the ramps. She asked "Sorry, could I please use the bathroom over there first?" (pointing towards the bathrooms just past the ushers). The ushers reply? "No, you need to leave now". Classy. I'll wait for everyone to tell me it was her fault for not going to bathroom earlier now.
Reply With Quote
  #386  
Old 09-15-2013, 09:53 AM
ChiSoxFann ChiSoxFann is online now
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago Ridge
Posts: 495
Default

Yesterday was most likely my last game of 2013. I still hate the opening video and wish the Pirates one was back. I'll say it again but the new video is really dull and did nothing for a pretty large Saturday night crowd. In the past (no matter our record) the fans would at least get excited and stand up to clap once Thunderstruck started. This video generates no reaction really.

Also, who is this new PA announcer they've used a few times this year? I hope they're not phasing Gene Honda out. In the top of the second he announced all full of energy, "now batting, Avisail Garcia!" then a couple seconds later softly corrected himself once he realized his mistake; "correction, now batting, Jason Giambi."

Hoping for better things in 2014, on and off the field.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #387  
Old 09-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Whitesox029 Whitesox029 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Chicago, in enemy territory
Posts: 2,976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxFann View Post
Yesterday was most likely my last game of 2013. I still hate the opening video and wish the Pirates one was back. I'll say it again but the new video is really dull and did nothing for a pretty large Saturday night crowd. In the past (no matter our record) the fans would at least get excited and stand up to clap once Thunderstruck started. This video generates no reaction really.

Also, who is this new PA announcer they've used a few times this year? I hope they're not phasing Gene Honda out. In the top of the second he announced all full of energy, "now batting, Avisail Garcia!" then a couple seconds later softly corrected himself once he realized his mistake; "correction, now batting, Jason Giambi."

Hoping for better things in 2014, on and off the field.
Honda has a lot of jobs, including Illini football. When he's not doing a Sox game, it's because he's fulfilling other duties. I don't think announcers get "phased out". They just get fired.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #388  
Old 09-15-2013, 10:39 AM
chisoxfanatic's Avatar
chisoxfanatic chisoxfanatic is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Brent Seabrook's guest room
Posts: 25,839
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxFann View Post
Yesterday was most likely my last game of 2013. I still hate the opening video and wish the Pirates one was back. I'll say it again but the new video is really dull and did nothing for a pretty large Saturday night crowd. In the past (no matter our record) the fans would at least get excited and stand up to clap once Thunderstruck started. This video generates no reaction really.
I've been reading this thread to see what people's ballpark experience has been like. But, I myself have not been to a game this year. Has anyone taken video of the entire montage?
Reply With Quote
  #389  
Old 09-15-2013, 09:17 PM
JB98's Avatar
JB98 JB98 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 27,469
Default

On Saturday, I had an usher ask to see my ticket in the bottom of the ninth inning, with the Sox trailing 8-0, with the team in last place and looking at 100 losses.

I realize they reserve the right to ask for my ticket at any time, but seriously? GMAB. Stop harassing me. I've been a season ticket holder for nine years.
__________________
JB's attendance record:
2004: 14-5; 2005: 16-8; 2006: 19-10; 2007: 8-12; 2008: 15-7; 2009: 6-13; 2010: 12-11; 2011: 9-8; 2012: 11-7; 2013: 8-9; 2014: 7-9; Total: 125-99.
Next game: April 2015

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote
  #390  
Old 09-15-2013, 09:20 PM
Mr. Jinx Mr. Jinx is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
On Saturday, I had an usher ask to see my ticket in the bottom of the ninth inning, with the Sox trailing 8-0, with the team in last place and looking at 100 losses.

I realize they reserve the right to ask for my ticket at any time, but seriously? GMAB. Stop harassing me. I've been a season ticket holder for nine years.
I'm surprised they didn't ask you to leave the stadium so they could go home early. Ushers started kicking us out about 10 seconds after the fireworks were over last night.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.