White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 01:00 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan View Post
I'm not on any email lists. Nor have I been inclined to watch many bad baseball games on TV lately. However I have been to 2 games in the past week. I see no mention of it at the park. They could maybe put commercials on non-Sox programming to put the word out.

The team is bad. Casual fans don't watch their ****ty baseball team on TV or listen on the radio. They need to find other avenues to get the word out to more than the hardcore fans
I don't think that's what the Save of the Week is designed to be, the Sox advertise some specials pretty heavily (like Family Sundays), but the Save of the Week I've always assumed was supposed to be kind of a perk directed to hardcore fans, since the availability is somewhat limited.

That being said, if you get emails from the Sox, they advertise them pretty heavily there.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:03 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Bingo.
I disagree, people whine when the Sox tailor some marketing toward more casual fans (Mullet Night, Elvis Night, etc.) but when the Sox do something and make it more of a nod to more fervent fans, that's a problem, too?
Old 07-29-2013, 01:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I disagree, people whine when the Sox tailor some marketing toward more casual fans (Mullet Night, Elvis Night, etc.) but when the Sox do something and make it more of a nod to more fervent fans, that's a problem, too?
The point isn't that the promotions are stupid, (that's an entirely different discussion) but rather that the only place/time to learn about these deals is while watching the game, or by signing up to an email list. Why not advertise it on other networks when the game isn't on?
Old 07-29-2013, 01:35 PM
WSI High Priest

And I don't think the Sox are in the position to niche market. Any ass is a good ass in the seats

Old 07-29-2013, 01:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
The point isn't that the promotions are stupid, (that's an entirely different discussion) but rather that the only place/time to learn about these deals is while watching the game, or by signing up to an email list. Why not advertise it on other networks when the game isn't on?
How many teams advertise their internet specials on other networks? You don't want to be bothered with an email from the White Sox noting their specials, or you don't want to watch their games, why would you pay attention to a commercial?
Old 07-29-2013, 01:51 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Yes, how dare the Sox think that their own fans would watch the games or subscribe to their email list! Again, I don't know how much you expect the Sox to do, especially considering you're not even not meeting them halfway here, this is a pretty well advertised deal to people who make only the most modest of attempts to connect with the team.

The Sox do advertise very aggressively some of their promos, I'd say moreso than the Cubs, but I think you'd also be hard pressed to find a business that didn't also have a few "under the radar" promos for their best customers, from the bartender at the neighborhood hole in the wall that buys a drink every now and then for his regulars or large stores that hold "Members Only" events for specific customers. Sure, it's good business to get the word out to as many people as possible about some deals you offer, but it's also good business to cultivate a group of customers who you value even more and give special perks to. That the entrance to this group for the Sox appears to be no more than receiving an email from the team 1-2 times per week is a very low bar to set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan View Post
And I don't think the Sox are in the position to niche market. Any ass is a good ass in the seats
That all depends on how you think the Sox are doing financially. If you believe the JR line that they just break even every year, sure, maybe, but if you believe that they're raking in the dough then probably not. It's long been my guess that the team purposefully prices tickets with the intent of bringing in around 20-25 K per night and making their money off that and hoping for the big year when the team is good, attendance raises, and they really cash in.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:56 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Soldier Field is not an historical landmark, and the Sox renovations were from funds from a naming rights deal. The scoreboard will be replaced eventually and it will probably be the best scoreboard in the league for a season, but like smartphones and flat screen TVs, it will be outdated fairly quickly, but unlike those, it makes zero sense replacing them every couple of years.
I'm responding to the fact that it wouldn't be hard for the Sox to make changes. The city isn't going to prevent them from doing anything.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:56 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Soldier Field's landmark status was stripped following the renovations
Didn't know that, thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
I'm responding to the fact that it wouldn't be hard for the Sox to make changes. The city isn't going to prevent them from doing anything.
Yes, but the Sox are tenants. They do not own the building. They would not be purchasing a new board. Soldier Field could use a new board. Theirs has that standard def stretch on a high def screen look. Yet no upgrade.
It would be like living in a rental unit with a perfectly working refrigerator. Say you want to upgrade to a stainless steel refrigerator. Would you just buy it and expect your landlord to reimburse you? Good luck with that.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
It would be very counter intuitive for ownership to invest their own money in something they didn't own. I don't know the structure of the naming rights / renovation deal, but I have to believe any money to make changes to the stadium out of ownership's pocket would have to go along with some sort of economic consideration back toward ownership. I doubt JR & Co. would be too motivated in effectively refinishing the floors of a rented apartment unit. Kind of the same logic.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
It is a State issue and right now the new ISFA board is probably under a lot of scrutiny after the Bicardi/ gift shop give away. Those days are over. I don't know how the financing of the 2003 scoreboard was done, but it may just be that the board hasn't been amortized, yet. Any new board will have to prove it can pay for itself through ad revenue.

On the Soldier Field front, I thought it is the Bears who continue to be insistent on a natural grass field. For flexibility, I'm sure the Oark District would love a synthetic surface.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
On the Soldier Field front, I thought it is the Bears who continue to be insistent on a natural grass field. For flexibility, I'm sure the Oark District would love a synthetic surface.
I would settle for a natural grass surface that doesn't pull up in massive chunks during a nationwide telecast. Green Bay has shown it's not all that difficult.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingXerxes View Post
I would settle for a natural grass surface that doesn't pull up in massive chunks during a nationwide telecast. Green Bay has shown it's not all that difficult.
Green Bay isn't entirely natural. Its a mix.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:55 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingXerxes View Post
They also don't use natural grass
Old 07-29-2013, 03:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Yes, but the Sox are tenants. They do not own the building. They would not be purchasing a new board. Soldier Field could use a new board. Theirs has that standard def stretch on a high def screen look. Yet no upgrade.
It would be like living in a rental unit with a perfectly working refrigerator. Say you want to upgrade to a stainless steel refrigerator. Would you just buy it and expect your landlord to reimburse you? Good luck with that.
I never said I expected the Sox to get reimbursed for it. If I knew I was living in a rental unit for 40+ years at a time and really wanted a stainless steel fridge, then I would go out and buy it. By the time the Sox lease is up a new scoreboard would be obsolete anyway so it isn't like it matters if they are renting or own their own place. They will get no additional money for it at the end of time anyway.