White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 07:26 AM
WSI Regular

Just thought I would point out that I had the same issue with no scorecards in the upper deck at a game 2 years ago.

They told me I would need to go downstairs to get one. They didn't have an answer when I asked how I was going to get access to the lower deck with an upper deck ticket.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:00 AM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

I was at the game Thursday and one thing that was different was they had folding chairs (albeit, 30 year old ones) already in the area where they let disabled fans and their friends sit. So, instead of having to carry the guy out of the wheelchair and put him on the bench in the last row and THEN get a folding chair 3 innings later, the chairs were already there. And it was a crowd of 30000 people and nobody sat there that didn't belong. So, nice work for that day at least White Sox. But I agree, the place is already in September mode.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:16 AM
WSI High Priest

I had to drive over to Michigan for work yeesterday- decided to stop and have lunch while taking in a few innings of a South Bend Silver Hawks game. Normally I might have stopped at the Cell- but between the team and the way they are running things- it would just be frustrating.

I can honestly say that they have a better scoreboard set up than the White Sox- their main scoreboard is in full view from anywhere in the park with no obstructed views- with a clean 9 inning score view + current batter stats & full line up the team batting. Then there is a 2nd small scoreboard with current score, outs/balls/strikes and current pitcher info directly behind home plate.

On a side note- a nice minor league ballpark- pretty good food options and tons of stuff for kids to do and they've integrated some older buildings into the ballpark "campus".
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I can honestly say that they have a better scoreboard set up than the White Sox- their main scoreboard is in full view from anywhere in the park with no obstructed views- with a clean 9 inning score view + current batter stats & full line up the team batting. Then there is a 2nd small scoreboard with current score, outs/balls/strikes and current pitcher info directly behind home plate.
See, this is where you people really lose me. A ****ing minor league stadium? This is the completely insane ramblings of someone out of touch with any semblance of reality. The Silverhawk's stadium holds 5 thousand people. Five thousand. FIVE THOUSAND. FIVE THOUSAND. FIVE THOUSAND. F-I-V-E T-H-O-U-S-A-N-D.

Of course the main scoreboard is going to be easier to read when it only has to be seen by 5,000 people. That's like saying man, it's so much easier to get my newspaper from the yard in the morning than it is to drive to Argentina. WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH THAT, ARGENTINA? Are you ****ing crazy?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
That's like saying man, it's so much easier to get my newspaper from the yard in the morning than it is to drive to Argentina. WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH THAT, ARGENTINA?
In fairness though, I do get really annoyed when they deliver my paper to South America instead of my driveway.

Just sayin'
Old 07-29-2013, 09:46 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
See, this is where you people really lose me. A ****ing minor league stadium? This is the completely insane ramblings of someone out of touch with any semblance of reality. The Silverhawk's stadium holds 5 thousand people. Five thousand. FIVE THOUSAND. FIVE THOUSAND. FIVE THOUSAND. F-I-V-E T-H-O-U-S-A-N-D.

Of course the main scoreboard is going to be easier to read when it only has to be seen by 5,000 people. That's like saying man, it's so much easier to get my newspaper from the yard in the morning than it is to drive to Argentina. WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH THAT, ARGENTINA? Are you ****ing crazy?
A simple "wrong" would have done just fine. Relax dude.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:58 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:

That's not the point. The point is that a single A team has a nicer scoreboard with a larger HD picture. The White Sox have the worst scoreboard setup of any major league park except Oakland and the Cubs, and they are about to get blown away by the Cubs.

Here is the South Bend scoreboard:
Old 07-29-2013, 10:05 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
Here is the South Bend scoreboard:
Its a bit hard to judge the relative size of this, but it almost looks like the digital part is almost the same size as the RF board at the Cell. Take off those ads around the perimeter (Pepsi, etc) and just look at the digital part. Imagine the lineup on the right-side being copied on the left side, and then split the middle part into four quarters for the out-of-town scores. I think it's the same size, but the board looks bigger because of the layout.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:23 AM
WSI High Priest

The White Sox are tenants. If you don't like the scoreboards, I think you have to take it up with the state.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:53 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
The White Sox are tenants. If you don't like the scoreboards, I think you have to take it up with the state.
They are also the only tenant of a building that would be useless without them. I'm pretty sure if they wanted to throw in a few bucks to make changes the state would be fine with that.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Youre right - the "unobstructed" point wasn't that valid- but everything else was- their scoreboard would be a significant upgrade over the one next to the Fundamentals area-
Old 07-29-2013, 11:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
They are also the only tenant of a building that would be useless without them. I'm pretty sure if they wanted to throw in a few bucks to make changes the state would be fine with that.
While that sounds easy in theory, I'd bet it's almost impossible.

Dealing with bureaucracies (especially corrupt ones) isn't easy or fun. The miserable Soldier Field turf is proof that the White Sox are not the only ones getting something less than spectacular service from the public entities owning the venues.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:11 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
THAT is the problem with the whole operation-

Problems with how they handle parking- call the city

Problems with their customer service- not their fault- call SportsService

Problems with their ushers- not their fault- they're part timers, students, etc.

Of course while their scoreboard set up is worse than an A team- they did find a way for the state/stadium authority to build a restaurant and a retail store
Old 07-29-2013, 11:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
THAT is the problem with the whole operation-

Problems with how they handle parking- call the city

Problems with their customer service- not their fault- call SportsService

Problems with their ushers- not their fault- they're part timers, students, etc.

Of course while their scoreboard set up is worse than an A team- they did find a way for the state/stadium authority to build a restaurant and a retail store
And they will be getting a new scoreboard when it's time. There is a fairly new one in RF. At the time it was installed, the CF board was state of the art.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Brewers offering August vouchers

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/95...s-august-games

Quote:
Challenged by the news of Ryan Braun's suspension and a disappointing season, Milwaukee Brewers owner Mark Attanasio is reaching into his wallet.

The team announced Monday that each fan that shows up with a ticket to any of the team's 12 home games in August will receive a $10 voucher that will be good for food, beverage, tickets or merchandise.
Quote:
"This is an investment in our fans and an investment in our brand, to do what we can do to mitigate a trying summer," said Schlesinger, noting that this is the first initiative under the team's "Fans First" campaign.
Glad to see other teams get it.

2014 Attendance Record: 15-11
2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs