White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 01:32 PM
WSI Regular

National writer: Rangers might be interested in trading for Chicago White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko: http://dallasne.ws/1bvfOmI
Old 07-27-2013, 03:27 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo 2h

If what GMs say the pricetags on Peavy, Norris, Lee and Santana hold, Wednesday is going to be very quiet.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 07-28-2013, 01:05 AM
WSI Regular

Ugh, I knew it. Just get rid of Peavy already. Why waste 30 mil on him with this stupid team.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:13 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Ugh, I knew it. Just get rid of Peavy already. Why waste 30 mil on him with this stupid team.
Gammons doing some spin work on behalf of Red Sox
Not need to give Peavy, Alexei or even Rios away now.
Hahn is playing this smart. Other teams are counting on him caving, but he won't because he doesn't have to...he can trade these guys after the season. If they were rents, he'd have to cave. So he's betting on a buyer caving into his demands because they know he's not bluffing....they may not, but nothing to lose by seeing if they do. And a lot to gain.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:20 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Gammons doing some spin work on behalf of Red Sox
Not need to give Peavy, Alexei or even Rios away now.
Hahn is playing this smart. Other teams are counting on him caving, but he won't because he doesn't have to...he can trade these guys after the season. If they were rents, he'd have to cave. So he's betting on a buyer caving into his demands because they know he's not bluffing....they may not, but nothing to lose by seeing if they do. And a lot to gain.
He could have something to lose. Their value has a lot to do with it. If Hahn waits and Peavy has more injury problems or Rios or Alexei tank the 2nd half, it could end up being a bad move.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:25 AM
WSI Personality

Default The Future

Todays Sunday Sun Times has an article on the White Sox rebuilding plan. Basically it says they think they have the pitching staff in place to contend, but don't have the hitting. It also points out that they're probably going to go out and sign some free agents this off season who can hit. I hope this is true and they actually go out and sign some hitters. This would be the easiest way to turn this team around. We shall see.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Todays Sunday Sun Times has an article on the White Sox rebuilding plan. Basically it says they think they have the pitching staff in place to contend, but don't have the hitting. It also points out that they're probably going to go out and sign some free agents this off season who can hit. I hope this is true and they actually go out and sign some hitters. This would be the easiest way to turn this team around. We shall see.
This is the top 2014 Free agent list as of June:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...gents-for-2014

There's no real savior in the bunch. The Sox would have to win several free agents to make an impact. They'd be better off in 2015 trying to buy difference makers (assuming a lot of those players don't get re-signed by then)
Old 07-28-2013, 08:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
This is the top 2014 Free agent list as of June:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...gents-for-2014

There's no real savior in the bunch. The Sox would have to win several free agents to make an impact. They'd be better off in 2015 trying to buy difference makers (assuming a lot of those players don't get re-signed by then)
Agree, they'd need to get multiple players to make a difference. As much as I'd love to see Jerry spash cash for say a less-expensive combination of Granderson, Morneau and Pence, we need to be able to develop our own hitters.

And that starts from the top, changing long-held policies on drafting, signing and player development.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:11 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
He could have something to lose. Their value has a lot to do with it. If Hahn waits and Peavy has more injury problems or Rios or Alexei tank the 2nd half, it could end up being a bad move.
That's my fear with Peavy. I just can't have confidence that he can stay healthy for a full season.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
This team is more than a few free agent signings away. Are they going to sign nine free agents?
Old 07-28-2013, 11:27 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
This team is more than a few free agent signings away. Are they going to sign nine free agents?
9 is probably too many but they are probably 2 years of free agent signing away. But hopefully the trades they make in 2013 will fill a few position player holes. As I pointed our recently, Boston signed a bunch of average free agents around Ellsbury-Pedroia and Ortiz and a mediocre pitching staff. They have gone from one of the worst teams to one of the best. The additions they made???? Uehara-Ryan Sweeney ( who got cut), Victorino, Napoli, David Ross( who got hurt), Jonny Gomes and Dempster. They are mostly the kind of free agents that are available every year. Obviously the difference is Boston started with 3 studs so the White Sox need to get one or two via a trade or free agent signing. Boston also went out and got a much better coaching staff than they had.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
9 is probably too many
Not when you consider their success rate with signings. If they signed 9 free agent position players, 5 would be busts, and that would leave them well short of contention.

This team cannot be fixed through free agency.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:00 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Not when you consider their success rate with signings. If they signed 9 free agent position players, 5 would be busts, and that would leave them well short of contention.

This team cannot be fixed through free agency.

But that is the same with most teams. Boston cut Sweeney and Ross got hurt. Napoli has been up and down but provided protection behind Ortiz. Victorino has been very good and Gomes average. Uuehara has been very good and Dempster has been average.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:03 PM
WSI High Priest

I enjoy that all in one thread we have assertions the team can't be fixed through free agency, and can't trust the scouts to fix it through the draft, and that the Sox should dump our few good players until they improve to the point that it's worth having good players (even though I guess the Sox aren't capable of signing or drafting good players so that day will never come...).

I hope July 31st comes quick so we have something tangible to discuss again.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:21 PM
WSI Personality

JIM BOWDEN
‏@JimBowdenESPNxm
Cardinals continue pursuit of Jake Peavy and Alexei Ramirez with Carlos Martinez, Joe Kelly and Kolton Wong's names being mentioned #RUMORS

https://twitter.com/JimBowdenESPNxm/...29324265938944
Closed Thread