White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 12:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Braun is dumber than a box of rocks.

On another note these guys are cheating and should be given harsher penalties, Pete Rose bet on his own team to win and so far is banned for life, is what he did worse than these cheaters?

This topic had been discussed on this board eons ago, before you were a member.
Suppose Rose has a bet on tomorrow's game for his team to win. To give his bet a better chance of winning, he gives a day off to 2 of his best players and doesn't use his best relievers saving them for tomorrow's game. He lessens his teams chances of winning today's game.
Gambling is and always will be the biggest no-no in all sports.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulwny View Post
This topic had been discussed on this board eons ago, before you were a member.
Suppose Rose has a bet on tomorrow's game for his team to win. To give his bet a better chance of winning, he gives a day off to 2 of his best players and doesn't use his best relievers saving them for tomorrow's game. He lessens his teams chances of winning today's game.
Gambling is and always will be the biggest no-no in all sports.
Excellent point, never looked at it that way.
I still believe though harsher penalties should be handed out to the cheats. Read somewhere today that ARod might be looking at a lifetime ban which would be great and send a message to all the rest.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 07-24-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:45 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleacherBandit View Post
explain.
Cheating to gain an edge is poor sportsmanship, but ultimately the game itself is intact. Once you start having players or coaches gamble on outcomes, the very integrity of the games you are watching is in question. It's why Kennessaw Mountain Landis banned the 8 Black Sox for life, even though they were acquitted. It's why boxing is irrelevant today. If people can't trust what they're watching isn't predetermined, then there becomes no point in watching.

Also, if you believe the line that Rose only gambled to win, that's a larf. The guy steadfastly denied the charges for decades and now he's coming 100% clean? The guy's a snake.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 07-24-2013, 01:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Excellent point, never looked at it that way.
I still believe though harsher penalties should be handed out to the cheats. Read somewhere today that ARod might be looking at a lifetime ban which would be great and send a message to all the rest.
A lifetime ban of ever playing again? Hall of Fame? What is the ban for? Either way it sounds crazy.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Roarman View Post
A lifetime ban of ever playing again? Hall of Fame? What is the ban for? Either way it sounds crazy.
I imagine from both, the same as Rose.

I just don't understand the mindset of these players, they know that they are going to get tested but they go ahead and continue to take the PEDs. I guess they make so much money that a 50 or 60 game ban is nothing and they are willing to take a chance since the punishment is a mere pittance.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 07-24-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Cheating to gain an edge is poor sportsmanship, but ultimately the game itself is intact. Once you start having players or coaches gamble on outcomes, the very integrity of the games you are watching is in question. It's why Kennessaw Mountain Landis banned the 8 Black Sox for life, even though they were acquitted. It's why boxing is irrelevant today. If people can't trust what they're watching isn't predetermined, then there becomes no point in watching.

Also, if you believe the line that Rose only gambled to win, that's a larf. The guy steadfastly denied the charges for decades and now he's coming 100% clean? The guy's a snake.
Excellent.