White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 11:50 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
No. After a couple of minutes, you see it's not happening and you ask for your money back or ask to speak to a manager.

Waiting for 16 minutes for a sandwich when you can clearly see if they are making any progress getting it to you, and taking it to a message board encourages that type of behavior.
The down side of your idea is that you'd have to actually find a manager then, could be more wait and trouble than it is worth.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
The down side of your idea is that you'd have to actually find a manager then, could be more wait and trouble than it is worth.
It probably wouldn't take 16 minutes. I see no reason anyone with no one else in line would wait 16 minutes for a sandwich. There is no back room where they are making them. You can see what is going on.

I think anyone having problems with ushers or concessions or whatever at the park, would be far better served asking to speak to a manager and getting to the bottom of it there than posting it here where it isn't all that specific. That way they can address the individual(s) who are actually responsible for the poor service. I've been going to games for years and I haven't seen this dropoff in customer service myself. Concession lines do move slowly, but not any slower than they moved 20 years ago. I would imagine while people here seem to enjoy every other stadium's experience much better, there are just as many fans of other teams who come to Chicago, that are singing the praises of USCF and wonder why the employees working at their home park can't be like them.

I also think the better the White Sox play, the smaller this thread if posted yearly becomes. I think a lot of this is frustration from the team's performance.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I would imagine while people here seem to enjoy every other stadium's experience much better, there are just as many fans of other teams who come to Chicago, that are singing the praises of USCF and wonder why the employees working at their home park can't be like them.
I think you're off on this one. The Cell's customer service is bottoming out just like the team. It's so bad I don't want to go to the park. I think your personal experience is irrelevant when you read the wide variety of legitimate complaints in this thread. My goodness, the Sox can't even put on a season-ticket holder party properly. The organization just doesn't seem to give a damn. If it did, someone would be monitoring this thread and correcting problems pronto.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
I think you're off on this one. The Cell's customer service is bottoming out just like the team. It's so bad I don't want to go to the park. I think your personal experience is irrelevant when you read the wide variety of legitimate complaints in this thread. My goodness, the Sox can't even put on a season-ticket holder party properly. The organization just doesn't seem to give a damn. If it did, someone would be monitoring this thread and correcting problems pronto.
I went to the season ticketholder party and it was fine. They didn't let people in until 6:01 but the extra minute didn't bother me. Why wouldn't my experiences averaging 50 games a year for over 20 years be relevant?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Unless it is part of the original contract with the IL Sports Authority to pay for the park, then they could drop the current program they are running. If it is part of the contract, then I guess they reap what they sow.

In other words, the team on the field isn't the only underperforming group the Sox are tied contractually to.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
It probably wouldn't take 16 minutes. I see no reason anyone with no one else in line would wait 16 minutes for a sandwich. There is no back room where they are making them. You can see what is going on.
You admit the service is slow, but no slower than 20 years ago as though that's somehow acceptable. There are thousands of businesses in this city competing for the same entertainment dollar, and the Sox are at best standing pat while at worst getting much more complacent and careless.

So I need you to walk me through this like I'm a 4th grader about how I should deal with concessions.....

When I order the sandwich, how long is proper to to wait? After how many minutes to I ask for my money back?

Where is there a manager, because I've seen very few over the last several years?

If I find one, how much of a fight do I have to put up in order to get my money back and head back to my seat?

Since the employees are horribly managed to begin with, do I trust the manager to get my money back in a more time effective manner than just waiting on the sandwich?

Or do I just walk away from the money having realized that I should always eat elsewhere before attending the game, because after all...the service has been bad/slow for 20+ years and I'd be foolish to think it would ever change?

Old 07-23-2013, 07:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan View Post
You admit the service is slow, but no slower than 20 years ago as though that's somehow acceptable. There are thousands of businesses in this city competing for the same entertainment dollar, and the Sox are at best standing pat while at worst getting much more complacent and careless.

So I need you to walk me through this like I'm a 4th grader about how I should deal with concessions.....

When I order the sandwich, how long is proper to to wait? After how many minutes to I ask for my money back?

Where is there a manager, because I've seen very few over the last several years?

If I find one, how much of a fight do I have to put up in order to get my money back and head back to my seat?

Since the employees are horribly managed to begin with, do I trust the manager to get my money back in a more time effective manner than just waiting on the sandwich?

Or do I just walk away from the money having realized that I should always eat elsewhere before attending the game, because after all...the service has been bad/slow for 20+ years and I'd be foolish to think it would ever change?
You ask to speak to a manager, or you ask how long until my sandwich is ready when you see them talking to their friends that you mentioned. Or just ask for your money back. Service has been slow but no slower than the other MLB parks I have been in. When you are dealing with minimum wage employees you find out there usually is a reason they are working for minimum wage.

The one thing that won't increase the speed to get a turkey sandwich is ordering and standing there doing nothing but apparently looking at a watch thinking you will have something great to post about how bad of a time it is going to Sox games.

Assuming you aren't exaggerrating, you are probably one of the few people who would wait 16 minutes for a ballpark turkey sandwich without asking for status updates, a manager and/or your money back.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I went to the season ticketholder party and it was fine. They didn't let people in until 6:01 but the extra minute didn't bother me. Why wouldn't my experiences averaging 50 games a year for over 20 years be relevant?
Some season-ticket holders weren't notified and/or had to basically invite themselves to the party.

Beyond that, your experiences don't matter because so many others have had documented problems. The Cell has major issues these days.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:48 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
The old escalators at Gate 5 and gate 3 never were used in the down direction.When Gate 5 was rebuilt, one of the points of the rebuild was allowing down movements, and until yesterday I've used it dozens of times. If they decided to quit using them for safety reasons, fine but I don't understand why they can't post a notice.
The escalators have been down a handful of times that I recall since the rebuild. It's not the first time. It is an inconvenience for sure. I like going down the ramps at Gate 6 though...smoothest way out of the park.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 07-23-2013, 08:53 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan View Post

I went for a turkey sandwich. There was nobody else in line. From the moment I put my order in, it tooksixteen (16) minutes before I was handed the turkey sandwich. Yes, sixteen minutes as the clueless staff joked amongst themselves and their friends that came to the counter.
I have been stopping at Jimmy John's on 35th Street before the game and taking a sandwich into the park. Not sure from which direction you are coming, but it is quicker, cheaper and generally tastier than the ballpark sandwiches. I still like some things in the park like the polish or hotdogs off the grill and the churros. The cheese curds are good too. The rest of the concessions...meh.

Last edited by Brian26; 07-23-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:50 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I loved going to the season ticketholder party and waiting over an hour in the lot afterwards for others to come out and move their cars as I was parked in.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:23 AM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

Quote:
I loved going to the season ticketholder party and waiting over an hour in the lot afterwards for others to come out and move their cars as I was parked in.
Bacardi servers were giving out shots at the party and I made a comment about them never being open, and one girl said "oh we are tonight". I was THERE and didn't know they were open. The party was fine but I am one of the people that had to invite myself. Luckily we weren't blocked in by idiots in the lot.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
JinX: Not to detract from the customer service issues, but you used a term I have never heard before. Is parked in the term used in Chicago..............I live in New England ??. In New England we use the term boxed in or blocked in.

I know in New England when 2 cars collide, it is called an accident. But go to the South and they call it a wreck.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
You ask to speak to a manager, or you ask how long until my sandwich is ready when you see them talking to their friends that you mentioned. Or just ask for your money back. Service has been slow but no slower than the other MLB parks I have been in. When you are dealing with minimum wage employees you find out there usually is a reason they are working for minimum wage.

The one thing that won't increase the speed to get a turkey sandwich is ordering and standing there doing nothing but apparently looking at a watch thinking you will have something great to post about how bad of a time it is going to Sox games.

Assuming you aren't exaggerrating, you are probably one of the few people who would wait 16 minutes for a ballpark turkey sandwich without asking for status updates, a manager and/or your money back.
Which ones??? I am yet to experience slower/less friendly service at any other ballpark. PNC Park was unbelievably great in those areas.

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Old 07-24-2013, 09:05 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
JinX: Not to detract from the customer service issues, but you used a term I have never heard before. Is parked in the term used in Chicago..............I live in New England ??. In New England we use the term boxed in or blocked in.

I know in New England when 2 cars collide, it is called an accident. But go to the South and they call it a wreck.
I'm not originally from here so I couldn't speak to that. I was actually going to use boxed in but I thought people wouldn't know what I meant by it!