White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 09:53 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpgr91 View Post
Rios is this teams best player. Teams usually can't compete the year after unloading their best player. Even with a couple of bats the team isn't going to compete for a World Series next year, they are better off getting pieces now for a run in a couple of years.
Aren't Rios and DeAza the same player, stat wise?
If so, dump Rios and his salary.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
I don't want to give Peavy away just for the sake of salary dump.

Part of me still sees this team competing next year with the rotation as is and adding a couple of good bats.

Key to me is getting rid of Rios.
Where are those bats going to come from? More aging hitters on the downside of their careers? That stellar farm system we have with the likes of Jared Mitchell waiting in the wings? Signing failed first round picks aka Tyler Greene where we throw smelly stuff against the wall to see what sticks?

This team has too many holes and not enough money or smarts to legitimately compete next year. Hate to say it, but not trading Peavy either now or in the offseaon is a mistake. Not trading Rios is also a mistake. Heck, not trading Viciedo is a huge mistake. If he's our future, watch out last place because we are a moving in.

Bob
Old 07-22-2013, 10:19 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow6 View Post
Aren't Rios and DeAza the same player, stat wise?
If so, dump Rios and his salary.
Offensively it's definitely a wash, defensively Rios is definitely better. Either way, if those two are in the discussion for your teams best player I'm pretty sure it's time to blow it up.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:33 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Leaving Fantasy Baseball and returning to the real world. I think it is interesting that Yankee rumors have been mostly non-existent. They are fielding an offense that looks as bad as the White Sox except they have Cano. But they played Boston in Boston pretty even this weekend. Maybe Yankee management can now be lured into interest in a Rios/Peavy package. That could increase the Boston offer and maybe the White Sox can get a solid return in young talent.
I guess not. Just heard that Yankees are close to acquiring Soriano so I guess they won't want Rios.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:57 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Lindstrom and Crain are the 2 players that have to moved this season. Rios and Peavy can be moved in the off season. The Sox may actually get more for Rios and Peavy in the off season that could make them compete faster. Of course I am not taking in account a salary dump now.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:26 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Rios and Peavy can be moved in the off season. The Sox may actually get more for Rios and Peavy in the off season that could make them compete faster. Of course I am not taking in account a salary dump now.
Only if they have good 2nd halves. If Rios tails off or Peavy gets hurt again, the off season value drops considerably.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
I guess not. Just heard that Yankees are close to acquiring Soriano so I guess they won't want Rios.
This feels like a bad dream.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:56 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Only if they have good 2nd halves. If Rios tails off or Peavy gets hurt again, the off season value drops considerably.
Yes Its a roll of the dice.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Banned

Interesting Jason Stark piece on ESPN about how contending teams are viewing players on the trade market.

"It seems like all the talk has been about Garza," said one AL executive. "And he's a good player. But he's certainly not a great player. I don't see a lot of great players out there. To be honest, I don't see any."
Old 07-23-2013, 03:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Interesting Jason Stark piece on ESPN about how contending teams are viewing players on the trade market.

"It seems like all the talk has been about Garza," said one AL executive. "And he's a good player. But he's certainly not a great player. I don't see a lot of great players out there. To be honest, I don't see any."
It is pretty much true, you don't have a Zach Greinke like player on the market this year. Garza is good, he is not an Ace. Peavy is good, he is not an ace anymore. Rios is good, he is not an elite hitter.

A lot of good players, no great ones.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Heyman says that the Cards and Red Sox are among likely suitors for Peavy, and Bucholz has hinted he may not be back until closer to September.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Does Peavy coming back from an injury now have appreciably more value than Peavy coming back from an injury next spring?

Waiting until the offseason to deal with more teams with a deeper talent pool isn't any more of a gamble than gambling on prospects that are at least a couple of years away.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:38 PM
WSI Regular

Ryan (Boston)

What percent could you give that Peavy gets moved, and what kind of return should the Sox realistically expect in return?
Bruce Levine (1:07 PM)

Sox are looking for position players, namely CF, 3B and catching. Peavy should bring back as much as Garza, considering whoever acquires him has him for another year. I'd say the percentage is 100.

Comment From Frank Frank: ] Why isn't there more interest in Adam Dunn. He is really come alive after such a slow start.

Tuesday July 23, 2013 3:05 Frank
3:06
He has been solid over the last three months or so, I didn't fully realize that until now. I guess the lack of position and the salary are impediments, but he is still somewhat movable.

Tom (tinley) [via mobile]

Do you believe Alex rios will be dealt and how much value does he hold?
Bruce Levine (1:54 PM)

I think he still has a lot of value. His no-hustle play has been followed by some of his best hitting of the year. The Sox will want some outfield talent back in return for him. Pittsburgh and Texas have been interested.

Ryan (Orland Park?)

Do think Robin is going fired after the season is over?
Bruce Levine (1:49 PM)

I don't think they would fire him. I don't think they would blame him for the team's failure this year. As far as to whether he manages past next season, I'm not sure about that. But Robin told me he enjoys managing and likes the job so I don't see him fired or quitting at this point. It's amazing to me how people have flipped on him from one year to the next. Last year he was the anti-Ozzie and now people want an Ozzie-type back. It's a tough job, managing

TK (Chicago)

Isn't Alexei's trade value at an all time low right now? What kind of return do you think the Sox could get for him?
Bruce Levine (1:34 PM)

He is still considered one of the top SS in baseball. He's had a rough year defensively but look at his overall game and see how many defensive plays he makes effortlessly. You need to get top quality players back for Ramirez.
Comment From Bill Bill: ] Are the Red Sox the best fit for Peavy? Seems like a playoff rotation of Buchholz/Peavy/Lackey/Lester is pretty solid to me...

Tuesday July 23, 2013 2:57 Bill
2:58
They have a huge need for a guy like Peavy. Lester and Dempster are pitching more like back rotation guys, Buchholz needs to fight through some discomfort...Peavy would be huge. Sox have a large stash of prospects to deal from, though some wouldn't be up for discussion here.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Does Peavy coming back from an injury now have appreciably more value than Peavy coming back from an injury next spring?

Waiting until the offseason to deal with more teams with a deeper talent pool isn't any more of a gamble than gambling on prospects that are at least a couple of years away.
Most of the interested contenders have deep talent pools (Az, St L, Boston). Non-contenders won't be interested in the offseason anyway and they won't have much to trade anyway. We don't want veterans. So yes, price is better now - you get the last 2 months desperation price plus an extra year price.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:38 PM
WSI Prelate

I read Bruce's chat and Alexei is one of the best SS in baseball, Dunn has had a great month, Rios is extremely valuable, we know about Peavy, and we have core pitching contingent of Reed, Quintana, Santiago, Danks and Peavy, any of whom would help a contender a lot....and I ask myself:
How the hell are we one of the worst teams in baseball?
Closed Thread