White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 08:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Is that written into the CBA? I would think that there would be some clause along those lines.
I highly doubt it.

Up until the recent events, the MLBPA has been very protective about their players. Highly doubt they gave this sort of leverage to the owners.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
I really wish there was a legal way to allow these massive contracts revoked when these players are busted.

You think any player would dare even consider taking PEDs?

I wish contracts could be revoked also so the cheaters that get caught would get really hurt. But they would still try to cheat because the cheating would be a reason to get the big contracts initially.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I wish contracts could be revoked also so the cheaters that get caught would get really hurt. But they would still try to cheat because the cheating would be a reason to get the big contracts initially.
Bingo.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post

Some punishment is better than no punishment. Right now a 50 game suspension when a guy still has 4-5 years left on a $100 million dollar deal is the equivalent of a late mortgage payment. Revoke that contact on the spot and that's a bankruptcy/foreclosure.

Yes guys will be shooting up the juice just for the chance of hitting that big pay day. But what good is it to them if the next day signing that deal it can all be gone and more than likely never getting another deal again.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Some punishment is better than no punishment. Right now a 50 game suspension when a guy still has 4-5 years left on a $100 million dollar deal is the equivalent of a late mortgage payment. Revoke that contact on the spot and that's a bankruptcy/foreclosure.

Yes guys will be shooting up the juice just for the chance of hitting that big pay day. But what good is it to them if the next day signing that deal it can all be gone and more than likely never getting another deal again.
Once you've gotten that kind of contract, there will always be a team willing to pay for your services, PEDs or not.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Once you've gotten that kind of contract, there will always be a team willing to pay for your services, PEDs or not.
How do you know that?

Name a PED offender that has signed a massive FA deal after getting busted?

You think anyone would be signing ARod for top $$$ tomorrow if by some miracle Selig steps in right now and announces his contract null and void?

Look what happened to all the PED frauds who went away without a sound:

Sosa, Bonds, Palmeiro, M Ramirez, etc
Old 07-22-2013, 09:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
How do you know that?

You think anyone would be signing ARod for top $$$ tomorrow if by some miracle Selig steps in right now and announces his contract null and void?

All of those guys were washed up by the time they were busted, and it'll be the same story with A-Rod if/when it happens to him, too.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:13 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
How do you know that?

It isn't massive, but Melky Cabrera signed a 2 year $16 mil deal after getting busted.

Andy Pettite signed a 1 year $12 mil deal this year.

The Balco scandal was in 2003, a perjury case in 2006, and Bonds was still signed to a 1 year $15mil deal in 2007.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:14 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
All of those guys were washed up by the time they were busted, and it'll be the same story with A-Rod if/when it happens to him, too.
Exactly true, nobody would give ARod a big deal tomorrow even if he didn't get busted again.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

So, that tweet from fellow Cheesehead Aaron Rodgers is looking more and more toolsy today....

All hail The Rick
Old 07-22-2013, 09:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
So, that tweet from fellow Cheesehead Aaron Rodgers is looking more and more toolsy today....
Yeah, I won't hold my breath waiting for his "My friend is a dick, and I was a douche for ignoring the evidence and telling off everybody who was actually right about him in the first place" tweet.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:42 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpjerry View Post
so, that tweet from fellow cheesehead aaron rodgers is looking more and more toolsy today....
hahahahahaha
Old 07-22-2013, 11:16 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
I think Aaron could have handled it better. I get he was sticking up for his friend however he didn't have to go over the top in his defense until everything was know.

If you're unaware Rodgers and Braun own a restaurant together in the Milwaukee area and are due to open another restaurant soon.

This isn't a story about Rodgers however because of his comments and tweets about Braun he's going to have to answer some serious questions. I would guess Rodgers and Braun never discussed the PED's and Rodgers assumed his friend was on the straight and narrow. I can't fault him for looking out for his friend but he didn't have to do it in a public way that would leave Rodgers open to this egg-on-face moment he now faces.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:52 PM
WSI Prelate

I hate when people turn the other way on certain PED users while demonizing others. Braun was definitely in the former. He still took that stuff whether he was suspended the first time around or not. Glad nobody will be able to question that now.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock07 View Post
I think Aaron could have handled it better. I get he was sticking up for his friend however he didn't have to go over the top in his defense until everything was know.

If you're unaware Rodgers and Braun own a restaurant together in the Milwaukee area and are due to open another restaurant soon.

This isn't a story about Rodgers however because of his comments and tweets about Braun he's going to have to answer some serious questions. I would guess Rodgers and Braun never discussed the PED's and Rodgers assumed his friend was on the straight and narrow. I can't fault him for looking out for his friend but he didn't have to do it in a public way that would leave Rodgers open to this egg-on-face moment he now faces.
Agreed. Rodgers was over the top, but i can't fault him for defending his friend in public. I would defend my friend in public to others, but i have no problem smacking them on the head in private and asking "What were you thinking?" That's what friends do.

Whenever the Sox or Brewers win, it's PARTY TIME!!!!!