White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 10:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post

Keep in mind that this alleged Sale for Trout trade was proposed by a WSIer and is not an actual deal on the table.
I understand, which is what makes me all the more certain that thread shows up 1 August
Old 07-21-2013, 10:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8mexico View Post
The Angels are 4 games under .500 with Trout and a great lineup.
How would he make the Sox better with a ****ty lineup? And if the Angels where to trade him for Sale that says a lot that they value pitching over offense. Meaning its harder to find an Ace
White Sox are 16 games under .500 with an Ace and a great staff behind him

That was fun.
WSI High Priest

Quote:

How soon they forget me....

I honestly did forget, shame on me.
WSI Guru

I don't want to see any team trade with the Angels anymore, as it is far too entertaining to watch their GM run to the mall with Arte Moreno's credit cards every winter to buy up all of the valuable 34-year old free agents hitting the market.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 07-21-2013, 10:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

As blandman is pointing out, I don't think some of you realize what Mike Trout accomplished as a rookie. He did something no major leaguer has ever done and he did it as a rookie. He isn't skipping a beat in his second season either.

No one has ever hit 30 homers, steal 45 bases and score 125 runs in one season.

He is also one of the best defensive players in the game.

This is a really silly debate.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

This messageboard sometimes makes me laugh my ass off while peeing my pants (lmaowpmp)! Lets just stick to what main stream media has heard and is spreading. Because anyone can play armchair GM and make up ludicrous trade speculations and then have followers back it up while others rip it apart.

So the reason I come to this exact thread is to what rumors are cutrentky out there. So please let's stick to that!

YOUR 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
Old 07-21-2013, 10:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Of course. Trout is worth 2 Sales....at least.
They may not be equal, but two #1 All-Star starters? I wonder what 2X Sale's WAR vs Trout's WAR would be.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
As blandman is pointing out, I don't think some of you realize what Mike Trout accomplished as a rookie. He did something no major leaguer has ever done and he did it as a rookie. He isn't skipping a beat in his second season either.

No one has ever hit 30 homers, steal 45 bases and score 125 runs in one season.

He is also one of the best defensive players in the game.

This is a really silly debate.
Yeah, I don't get the argument. Chris Sale is awesome, and one of the top 5 pitchers in the game right now. Mike Trout is looking like he could be one of the greatest players in history. You don't trade that for anything. Ever.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:27 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
White Sox are 16 games under .500 with an Ace and a great staff behind him

That was fun.
And 7 games back of the Angels with no Mike Trout and no where near the lineup the Angels have.

Always looking for Game used jerseys
Check out my collection at
http://whitesoxcollectibles.webs.com/
Old 07-21-2013, 11:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8mexico View Post
And 7 games back of the Angels with no Mike Trout and no where near the lineup the Angels have.
Good point?

Obviously this is baseball and we know it takes more than one guy to win a title.

But the Angels would ask if Hahn was high before laughing him off the line if he proposed Sale for Trout.

Top ten pitcher versus top two player period. Not close.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:27 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Sale is someone you build around, not use as a building block for a trade.
Of course he is. I have no idea why so many fans think it would be a good idea to trade him at the deadline.

The point of making deals is improving the team in the future. If you are trading players at the dealine, the players you want to look to move are players who are heading into free agency and/or are drains on the payroll. That isn't Sale. That isn't even Reed. You don't trade players who are well outperforming their salaries and will be under the team's control for awhile. Those are the players you want to build around.

If you are going to trade Sale or Reed, you aren't going to do it at the deadline. You do it in the offseason when there are more potential trading partners and you can get more value. (Look at what the perennial non-contender Royals did last offseason.) If you are limited to trading with the few contenders who need what you are offering, one thing you aren't going to get is someone the team you are trading with believes is in a position to contribute soon at the big-league level. A contender lining up as much talent as possible for the stretch run isn't going to give up someone they believe could help them in September.

I expect Crain will be traded after he returns from the DL. He won't command appreciably more than Thornton did, though, because he doesn't have many innings left in his contract, especially considering that he has been shut down twice since pitchers reported this spring. The Thornton trade didn't save the White Sox future money. It weakened the bullpen in a non-contending season for a prospect well short of a sure thing. It wouldn't surprise me if the Sox make one or two waiver deals.

Seriously, I don't expect the Angels to move Trout in the next 10 days and obviously not on waivers. Look at what the Astros got when they moved Keppinger at the deadline a couple of years ago when he was having a better season. Even if the Sox trade Peavy to a contender, they are unlikely to get players that could help them anytime soon, and it would leave a hole to fill in next year's starting rotation.

I'm not disappointed that the Sox haven't been more active in the trade market because realistically I don't expect much out of the trade market.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
They may not be equal, but two #1 All-Star starters? I wonder what 2X Sale's WAR vs Trout's WAR would be.
Sale had a 5.9 WAR last year, Trout 10.9. But that's not the way WAR is supposed to be used.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:35 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Of course he is. I have no idea why so many fans think it would be a good idea to trade him at the deadline.

The point of making deals is improving the team in the future. If you are trading players at the dealine, the players you want to look to move are players who are heading into free agency and/or are drains on the payroll. That isn't Sale. That isn't even Reed. You don't trade players who are well outperforming their salaries and will be under the team's control for awhile. Those are the players you want to build around.

If you are going to trade Sale or Reed, you aren't going to do it at the deadline. You do it in the offseason when there are more potential trading partners and you can get more value. (Look at what the perennial non-contender Royals did last offseason.) If you are limited to trading with the few contenders who need what you are offering, one thing you aren't going to get is someone the team you are trading with believes is in a position to contribute soon at the big-league level. A contender lining up as much talent as possible for the stretch run isn't going to give up someone they believe could help them in September.

I expect Crain will be traded after he returns from the DL. He won't command appreciably more than Thornton did, though, because he doesn't have many innings left in his contract, especially considering that he has been shut down twice since pitchers reported this spring. The Thornton trade didn't save the White Sox future money. It weakened the bullpen in a non-contending season for a prospect well short of a sure thing. It wouldn't surprise me if the Sox make one or two waiver deals.

Seriously, I don't expect the Angels to move Trout in the next 10 days and obviously not on waivers. Look at what the Astros got when they moved Keppinger at the deadline a couple of years ago when he was having a better season. Even if the Sox trade Peavy to a contender, they are unlikely to get players that could help them anytime soon, and it would leave a hole to fill in next year's starting rotation.

I'm not disappointed that the Sox haven't been more active in the trade market because realistically I don't expect much out of the trade market.
I'm not saying I advocate trading him, but if someone calls and knocks your socks off you listen.

Apparently, the don't trade Sale for anything ever camp doesn't remember the Bartolo Colon to Montreal trade. You know, the one that fetched Brandon Phillips, Grady Sizemore and some left handed starter named Cliff Lee. There are no guarantees, but I'd take a package like that any day.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:05 AM
WSI Personality

Good lord, I can't believe this hilariously terrible idea of a trade posted by a random person is still being discussed!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Back to the topic, MLB trade rumors was debating who has more trade value between Garza and Peavy. They mentioned that whoever acquires him can keep him for another year and get a draft pick. Which brings up the question, should the Sox keep Peavy and get the draft pick? I think it depends on the offers.
Closed Thread