White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 10:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

I didn't realize the lack of hustle thread got merged with the trade rumor thread. Or is Lack of hustle the prospect we got back from the pirates from Rios?
Old 07-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zisk77 View Post
I didn't realize the lack of hustle thread got merged with the trade rumor thread. Or is Lack of hustle the prospect we got back from the pirates from Rios?
He wasn't traded. Rios was benched because Robin's an idiot who can't see the bigger picture.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:06 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
He wasn't traded. Rios was benched because Robin's an idiot who can't see the bigger picture.
Or why wait till now when the season is half over to show some balls
Old 07-20-2013, 11:18 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRob View Post
You're not getting the argument. The argument simply was run out the damn ball. But your going on about some in game happening no one even cares about or doesn't matter because again you should always run out the ball. Seem to me you have fan boy issues and listen to Chris Rongey to much.
There is no argument. Everyone on the field should hustle. However, the opinion that AJ and Konerko didn't/don't hustle is fairly absurd and a meatball opinion.

The classic Konerko backflip on a flyout is inconsequential because he's going to make it to first safely whether he trots or runs at full speed, if the outfielder drops it. Conversely, if he runs at fullspeed to first, he's not fast enough naturally to make it to second base if the outfielder drops it. There's no tangiible argument here that Konerko's trotting to first on a flyout hurts the team.

Last night, there was a tangible illustration that Rios' lack of hustle with the go-ahead run on third base cost the team. He has to know the situation. Baseball is all about knowing the situation at any given time (how many outs there are, where the outfielders are positioned, if the infielder is playing behind the runner, etc).

Trying to equate what Rios did last night (or failed to do) and Konerko's batflip on a flyout is entirely wasted effort at best and meatball fandom at worst.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:45 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Wow. I actually agree with you! What a stupid time to pick to "prove a point" with Alex Rios.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:49 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
This isn't little league.

Everyone should pay close attention to hitters coming out of the box after routine grounders and popouts this weekend. Tell me if you don't count a handful of plays that happened to Rios in each game today and tomorrow.
Some plays you see are little league. I watched a few innings of Boston and New York last night. Two straight innings a Yankee infielder, not Lilly, started running off the field after the 2nd out.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Some plays you see are little league. I watched a few innings of Boston and New York last night. Two straight innings a Yankee infielder, not Lilly, started running off the field after the 2nd out.
Ladies and gentlemen, your future Chicago White Sox!
Old 07-20-2013, 01:03 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 1h

Boston has a scout at the CWS game today, presumably to watch Peavy and follow up on some of the background work they have done.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 07-20-2013, 02:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Well, this is a big day for the organization.
Peavy should be worth a lot...he's a very good pitcher with a reasonable contract and signed to another year.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:01 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Well, this is a big day for the organization.
Peavy should be worth a lot...he's a very good pitcher with a reasonable contract and signed to another year.
I would agree. But listening to Boston sports radio yesterday, the hosts seem to think Boston will not be giving up top prospects but rather plenty of cash and second tier prospects. Boston lost their righthanded setup yesterday so they need another reliever. As I posted elsewhere, maybe packaging Peavy, Rios and a reliever might get them to give up one of their 4-5 untouchable position prospects in a package of prospects.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
I would agree. But listening to Boston sports radio yesterday, the hosts seem to think Boston will not be giving up top prospects but rather plenty of cash and second tier prospects. Boston lost their righthanded setup yesterday so they need another reliever. As I posted elsewhere, maybe packaging Peavy, Rios and a reliever might get them to give up one of their 4-5 untouchable position prospects in a package of prospects.
Then keep him. He's not expensive, a team can control him for 2.5 years and he pitches at a high level. If all someone wants to give us is 2nd tier prospects, and that includes a second tier prospect our scouts/Williams get giddy about and want to reach for, keep him.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:05 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

David Schuster ‏@Schumouse 10m

The scouts in attendance might out number the actual fans here at U.S. Cellular today
Old 07-20-2013, 04:52 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Then keep him. He's not expensive, a team can control him for 2.5 years and he pitches at a high level. If all someone wants to give us is 2nd tier prospects, and that includes a second tier prospect our scouts/Williams get giddy about and want to reach for, keep him.
Unfortunately, the Sox aren't getting top prospects for any of their players. Top prospects are almost as untouchable as Pujols or Verlander in their prime right now. The cost certainty that they have make them that valuable. I doubt anyone is going to get anybody's top 5 prospects in any trade. If the Sox want to trade the players on the block, they are going to have to settle for prospects in the 7-12 range of a system. This is the new normal, that top prospects are more valuable than proven major league talent. The only way that some GM will part with a top prospect right now is if that GM is desperate for a winner.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:52 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
David Schuster ‏@Schumouse 10m

The scouts in attendance might out number the actual fans here at U.S. Cellular today
It looks like a very nice crowd today.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:09 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986 View Post
Unfortunately, the Sox aren't getting top prospects for any of their players. Top prospects are almost as untouchable as Pujols or Verlander in their prime right now. The cost certainty that they have make them that valuable. I doubt anyone is going to get anybody's top 5 prospects in any trade. If the Sox want to trade the players on the block, they are going to have to settle for prospects in the 7-12 range of a system. This is the new normal, that top prospects are more valuable than proven major league talent. The only way that some GM will part with a top prospect right now is if that GM is desperate for a winner.
Then my answer would be to keep Peavy,Sale,Reed,Santiago,Quintana,Jones,and Beckham and try to unload the rest for the best prospects,salary relief or other MLB players made available.
Closed Thread