White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #241  
Old 07-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Zisk77 Zisk77 is online now
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edwardsville Il
Posts: 1,734
Default

I didn't realize the lack of hustle thread got merged with the trade rumor thread. Or is Lack of hustle the prospect we got back from the pirates from Rios?
  #242  
Old 07-20-2013, 11:00 AM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zisk77 View Post
I didn't realize the lack of hustle thread got merged with the trade rumor thread. Or is Lack of hustle the prospect we got back from the pirates from Rios?
He wasn't traded. Rios was benched because Robin's an idiot who can't see the bigger picture.
  #243  
Old 07-20-2013, 11:06 AM
ZombieRob ZombieRob is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Braunfels Texas
Posts: 7,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
He wasn't traded. Rios was benched because Robin's an idiot who can't see the bigger picture.
Or why wait till now when the season is half over to show some balls
  #244  
Old 07-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29,479
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRob View Post
You're not getting the argument. The argument simply was run out the damn ball. But your going on about some in game happening no one even cares about or doesn't matter because again you should always run out the ball. Seem to me you have fan boy issues and listen to Chris Rongey to much.
There is no argument. Everyone on the field should hustle. However, the opinion that AJ and Konerko didn't/don't hustle is fairly absurd and a meatball opinion.

The classic Konerko backflip on a flyout is inconsequential because he's going to make it to first safely whether he trots or runs at full speed, if the outfielder drops it. Conversely, if he runs at fullspeed to first, he's not fast enough naturally to make it to second base if the outfielder drops it. There's no tangiible argument here that Konerko's trotting to first on a flyout hurts the team.

Last night, there was a tangible illustration that Rios' lack of hustle with the go-ahead run on third base cost the team. He has to know the situation. Baseball is all about knowing the situation at any given time (how many outs there are, where the outfielders are positioned, if the infielder is playing behind the runner, etc).

Trying to equate what Rios did last night (or failed to do) and Konerko's batflip on a flyout is entirely wasted effort at best and meatball fandom at worst.
__________________
2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
  #245  
Old 07-20-2013, 11:45 AM
soltrain21 soltrain21 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orland Park
Posts: 14,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
He wasn't traded. Rios was benched because Robin's an idiot who can't see the bigger picture.
Wow. I actually agree with you! What a stupid time to pick to "prove a point" with Alex Rios.
  #246  
Old 07-20-2013, 11:49 AM
SCCWS SCCWS is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
This isn't little league.

Everyone should pay close attention to hitters coming out of the box after routine grounders and popouts this weekend. Tell me if you don't count a handful of plays that happened to Rios in each game today and tomorrow.
Some plays you see are little league. I watched a few innings of Boston and New York last night. Two straight innings a Yankee infielder, not Lilly, started running off the field after the 2nd out.
  #247  
Old 07-20-2013, 12:24 PM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Some plays you see are little league. I watched a few innings of Boston and New York last night. Two straight innings a Yankee infielder, not Lilly, started running off the field after the 2nd out.
Ladies and gentlemen, your future Chicago White Sox!
  #248  
Old 07-20-2013, 01:03 PM
#1swisher #1swisher is offline
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 60610
Posts: 16,761
Default

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 1h

Boston has a scout at the CWS game today, presumably to watch Peavy and follow up on some of the background work they have done.
__________________
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
  #249  
Old 07-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,960
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Well, this is a big day for the organization.
Peavy should be worth a lot...he's a very good pitcher with a reasonable contract and signed to another year.
  #250  
Old 07-20-2013, 03:01 PM
SCCWS SCCWS is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Well, this is a big day for the organization.
Peavy should be worth a lot...he's a very good pitcher with a reasonable contract and signed to another year.
I would agree. But listening to Boston sports radio yesterday, the hosts seem to think Boston will not be giving up top prospects but rather plenty of cash and second tier prospects. Boston lost their righthanded setup yesterday so they need another reliever. As I posted elsewhere, maybe packaging Peavy, Rios and a reliever might get them to give up one of their 4-5 untouchable position prospects in a package of prospects.
  #251  
Old 07-20-2013, 03:09 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,960
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
I would agree. But listening to Boston sports radio yesterday, the hosts seem to think Boston will not be giving up top prospects but rather plenty of cash and second tier prospects. Boston lost their righthanded setup yesterday so they need another reliever. As I posted elsewhere, maybe packaging Peavy, Rios and a reliever might get them to give up one of their 4-5 untouchable position prospects in a package of prospects.
Then keep him. He's not expensive, a team can control him for 2.5 years and he pitches at a high level. If all someone wants to give us is 2nd tier prospects, and that includes a second tier prospect our scouts/Williams get giddy about and want to reach for, keep him.
  #252  
Old 07-20-2013, 04:05 PM
#1swisher #1swisher is offline
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 60610
Posts: 16,761
Default

David Schuster ‏@Schumouse 10m

The scouts in attendance might out number the actual fans here at U.S. Cellular today
  #253  
Old 07-20-2013, 04:52 PM
whitesoxfan1986 whitesoxfan1986 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Then keep him. He's not expensive, a team can control him for 2.5 years and he pitches at a high level. If all someone wants to give us is 2nd tier prospects, and that includes a second tier prospect our scouts/Williams get giddy about and want to reach for, keep him.
Unfortunately, the Sox aren't getting top prospects for any of their players. Top prospects are almost as untouchable as Pujols or Verlander in their prime right now. The cost certainty that they have make them that valuable. I doubt anyone is going to get anybody's top 5 prospects in any trade. If the Sox want to trade the players on the block, they are going to have to settle for prospects in the 7-12 range of a system. This is the new normal, that top prospects are more valuable than proven major league talent. The only way that some GM will part with a top prospect right now is if that GM is desperate for a winner.
  #254  
Old 07-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
David Schuster ‏@Schumouse 10m

The scouts in attendance might out number the actual fans here at U.S. Cellular today
It looks like a very nice crowd today.
  #255  
Old 07-20-2013, 05:09 PM
RCWHITESOX's Avatar
RCWHITESOX RCWHITESOX is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Placentia, California
Posts: 1,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986 View Post
Unfortunately, the Sox aren't getting top prospects for any of their players. Top prospects are almost as untouchable as Pujols or Verlander in their prime right now. The cost certainty that they have make them that valuable. I doubt anyone is going to get anybody's top 5 prospects in any trade. If the Sox want to trade the players on the block, they are going to have to settle for prospects in the 7-12 range of a system. This is the new normal, that top prospects are more valuable than proven major league talent. The only way that some GM will part with a top prospect right now is if that GM is desperate for a winner.
Then my answer would be to keep Peavy,Sale,Reed,Santiago,Quintana,Jones,and Beckham and try to unload the rest for the best prospects,salary relief or other MLB players made available.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.