White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 02:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoney View Post
I also just found this interesting piece on Hawk from SI in '66. I always thought his stories were a bit far-fetched and that he was embellishing a bit. Maybe I should take his stories more seriously...

"I never embellish anything, the other guy does. I just make them up."

"I do not - you do."

"Shut up"

"No you shut up."

"Would the four of you shut up!"
Old 07-18-2013, 05:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingXerxes View Post
Still and all though, it was completely Harrelson. Create a second personality and you create a deniability for ever having done anything stupid, embarrassing or wrong. Just blame it on the other guy who occupies your head.
Nailed it. You're all on your games today. Including about DJ who at least has the light touch. If his silly phrases are bad, so is "It's so hot today the third baseman is Meltin."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051077/
Old 07-18-2013, 08:02 PM
WSI Regular

Watched it tonight. I thought it was great.

CUBS SUCK

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC727 View Post
I agree. It was much better than I expected. Costas had almost nothing to do with it except some brief voiceovers between segments, but I know MLB Network wanted his name on the program.

Harrelson's stories were genuinely interesting. It's too bad he doesn't talk like that during the game broadcasts -- his mood swings are so wild depending on the game's progress that he can't even finish his sentences.

I had to laugh when he told the story near the end about the origin of his "Yes!" catchphrase. His daughter was a competitive diver and when she nailed an especially difficult one he found himself shouting "Yes!" The big laugh came when he said how nervous he was before her dive: "You couldn't have pulled a greased tee out of my behind with a pair of pliers."

Hadn't heard that one for a while!

Old 07-18-2013, 09:11 PM
WSI Personality

When Hawk was released by the A's during the 1967 season he signed on with Boston and helped lead them to the pennant. The White Sox tried signing him but he went to Boston instead. If he would of signed with the White Sox that year the White Sox would of probably won the pennant that year. The 1967 White Sox couldn't hit (just like the 2013 White Sox) and his bat would of probably got the White Sox in the World Series that year.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

"Tommy Shocker" was his boxing pseudonym? Nice.

I liked it a lot, but I'm also a Hawk fan. Liked the shots of him playing with Boston and Cleveland and the Sam McDowell anecdote was funny.

The one sound clip I would have liked to hear was Crede's game-winning HR off David Riske late in 2005 at the Cell.

In all, I thought it was done very well. Good job, MLB.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:45 PM
WSI Guru

I thought it was very good. Being a Sox fan for so long, I think I have heard every one of the stories he told (except for one). He's told many of those during games and at Soxfest, even the Mantle stuff.

The story that was new to me and probably the most touching part was the reason he quit professional golf.

By the way, he mentioned only two people have White Sox and Red Sox rings. The other one must be Fisk, right?

Still love that Hawk went down to confront Padilla outside the Rangers lockerroom in 2006. LOL
Old 07-19-2013, 03:32 PM
WSI Regular

I'm a big Hawk fan and sometimes I am really surprised at the over the top criticisms of him. He can be a tough listen when the Sox are losing but I always appreciated the fact that he really cares. After listening to him for more 30 years he is a key part of White Sox baseball to me.

My son and I met him at the team hotel in Boston years ago and he was incredibly friendly . On a personal level I was impressed how nice he was to my then 12 year old son talking about youth baseball and basketball.

But anyway to each is own...

Really wanted to see the documentary - is it going to be replayed?
Old 07-19-2013, 03:34 PM
WSI Regular

I suppose he didn't dignify Mariotti with a mention but Hawk challenged him to a fight several years back, I think ol' Jay would have had a much tougher time with Hawk than he did with slapping around his girlfriend
Old 07-19-2013, 04:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC727 View Post
Me too.

I'm a big fan of Hawk- but I'm also a fan of anyone who lives a full and adventurous life- his life experiences are just epic- major league player on a World Series team, qualifier for the British Open, long time announcer in MLB- plus family, friends, grandchildren- what a great and interesting life he has led.

2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 07-21-2013, 06:15 PM
WSI Regular

Post McGrath SunTimes Article

Anyone else see this SunTimes article by Dan McGrath (who?) in regards to the MLB special on him?

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseb...harrelson.html

I didn't see/hear about it until Stoney asked Hawk about it early in the game today. Hawk goes on a rant about McGrath and then mentions Mariotti, and Boers/Bernstein as well. Classic Hawk
Old 07-21-2013, 08:15 PM
WSI Guru

So Dan McGrath takes an entire column to badmouth Hawk and essentially call him a liar, with a subtext insinuating that MLB Network is a joke, Sox fans are idiots, poor Tony LaRussa and Dave Dombrowski, and Hawk won't make the Hall.

I'll wait for McGrath's review of the three minute Len Kasper documentary coming to a theater soon, in which Len talks about the time he purchased not one, but two, take-and-bake pizzas from Costco and filled up his gas all in the same trip.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingXerxes View Post

"I never embellish anything, the other guy does. I just make them up."

"I do not - you do."

"Shut up"

"No you shut up."

"Would the four of you shut up!"

"You gotta be beepin' me!"
Old 07-21-2013, 08:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
It should be titled, TWTW
The Will To Watch.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
So Dan McGrath takes an entire column to badmouth Hawk and essentially call him a liar, with a subtext insinuating that MLB Network is a joke, Sox fans are idiots, poor Tony LaRussa and Dave Dombrowski, and Hawk won't make the Hall.

I'll wait for McGrath's review of the three minute Len Kasper documentary coming to a theater soon, in which Len talks about the time he purchased not one, but two, take-and-bake pizzas from Costco and filled up his gas all in the same trip.
That's why for all his faults and frailties I do not look forward to Hawk leaving the booth. This is probably the type of blow dried boring we will get.