White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 09:08 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
Meanwhile you have Sale under control until 2019. He could not blow his elbow out, win multiple Cy Young awards, and lead the White Sox to a championship within that time period. You could also trade him at any given time until then, so there's no need to trade right now.

You're talking about a top 3 pitcher in the entire sport, versus the top draft pick from 2010. So far Profar is hitting .276 with .826 OPS in the minors. That's not a good start to a hall of fame career.

Someone asked for A-rod for Sale. A-rod crushed the ball in the minors at that age.
wow.... I LOVE Chris Sale, I am as high on him as anyone.... but Top 3...... Right Now????? Maybe in a couple of years......

Right now I would say he is Top 8, and that is fantastic....But given the chance, would you pass on Kershaw, Harvey, King Felix, Verlander, Darvish? Maybe, he is certainly in the convo, I just think top 3 is a stretch, maybe top 5, surely top 8.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:33 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
If the Sox trade Sale they better get a boat load. I know the organization is lacking in position players but if they move Sale and Peavy this team will just be giving from one strength and picking up prospects who may never pan out to their hype. I have said it before pitching is the hardest to come by; and if they trade their top two pitchers and Rios the only real asset left is Reed. I hope they keep Sale and move some of their dead wait De Aza, Ramirez, Dunn, Axelrod amongst others. I will be anxious to see how Hahn handles things before and after the trade deadline; and hope for the best.
I agree with this assessment. There are many who talk of highly-regarded prospects as if their future contributions are a given. I'd much rather keep Sale (and even Viciedo) than not get back at least one hitter ready to play in the lineup everyday along with prospects. If that doesn't happen, so be it, we just keep the young, inexpensive players we have until some team makes it worth our while to gamble on their prospects. Example, there are some who would have traded Sale for Colby Rasmus and two other highly-ranked prospects two years ago. How would that have worked out?
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 07-18-2013, 10:35 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
If the Sox trade Sale they better get a boat load. I know the organization is lacking in position players but if they move Sale and Peavy this team will just be giving from one strength and picking up prospects who may never pan out to their hype. I have said it before pitching is the hardest to come by; and if they trade their top two pitchers and Rios the only real asset left is Reed. I hope they keep Sale and move some of their dead wait De Aza, Ramirez, Dunn, Axelrod amongst others. I will be anxious to see how Hahn handles things before and after the trade deadline; and hope for the best.
The problem is that you have to give something to get something. If the Sox are truly rebuilding, they need to get good young prospects, of which they currently have far too few. However, you will not get good young prospects by moving "dead weight." You'll only get minor league dead weight in return. Peavy and Rios should each get you something of value. Neither is merely a rental, both can be good to very good to even great, but both also come with question marks, i.e., injuries/mental toughness. Now Sale is something different. If he gets traded, yes, it better be for a boat load, i.e., multiple top young prospects, possibly even MLB players. But he should definitely be available for trade.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkChopExpress View Post
The problem is that you have to give something to get something. If the Sox are truly rebuilding, they need to get good young prospects, of which they currently have far too few. However, you will not get good young prospects by moving "dead weight." You'll only get minor league dead weight in return. Peavy and Rios should each get you something of value. Neither is merely a rental, both can be good to very good to even great, but both also come with question marks, i.e., injuries/mental toughness. Now Sale is something different. If he gets traded, yes, it better be for a boat load, i.e., multiple top young prospects, possibly even MLB players. But he should definitely be available for trade.
I'd change that bolded part to "and definitely at least one MLB player."
Old 07-18-2013, 12:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Oh, then he's perfect for the Sox!

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-18-2013, 12:31 PM
WSI Personality

I wouldn't want Profar for Sale. Sale should be the only untouchable the Sox have.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

I know the Sox aren't playing well this season, but I don't trade Sale. People have talked about how he could get hurt in the future or if the Sox get these prospects from this team, that these guys could do this in the future...

Just my opinion, but when the Sox are contending again - which is hopefully sooner rather than later - they will be looking for someone who can anchor their rotation.

They have him right now. Wears No. 49. Tall, skinny guy who is really damn good. Left-handed, too. Name is Chris Sale.

If I'm Rick Hahn, Sale stays.

I'm done now. Thank you.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Oh, then he's perfect for the Sox!
Don't worry - he's got TWTW....that's all we need.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
wow.... I LOVE Chris Sale, I am as high on him as anyone.... but Top 3...... Right Now????? Maybe in a couple of years......

Right now I would say he is Top 8, and that is fantastic....But given the chance, would you pass on Kershaw, Harvey, King Felix, Verlander, Darvish? Maybe, he is certainly in the convo, I just think top 3 is a stretch, maybe top 5, surely top 8.
I'll go with the 1st 4 being better.
Verlander's dipped badly this season.
Darvish lacks consistency, but he's arguably better.
Top 8 is safe...but that's damn good and simply worth more than any team is willing to pay. He's worth more than 3-4 elite prospects plus a couple of Bs, and I doubt a team will give 2 elites.
We don't need major leaguers in return, unless they are high-end cost controlled guys; but contenders won't trade them to us. We don't need their surplus, mediocre players or declining veterans..we have an abundance of those categories already.